Author Topic: The most overrated book ever written  (Read 7005 times)

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
Re: fuggley green
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 06:44:01 am »
read the one star reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Nutrition-Physical-Degeneration-Weston-Andrew/product-reviews/0879838167/ref=cm_cr_dp_all_helpful?ie=UTF8&coliid=&showViewpoints=1&colid=&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

Hi Rob,

There's only one 1* review.  It's from today.  Was that written by you?  This section of our forum is pro-Weston Price.  Would you tell us what you do like about the diet?

Are you a rawpaleo dieter?  We have a section in the forum for new members who are at the beginning of this.

Sorry you were having trouble reading the book.  Are you a beer brewer?  
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 07:54:54 am by RawZi »
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: The most overrated book ever written
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 05:42:30 pm »
I have to admit I'm somewhat uncomfortable with threads attacking Weston-Price or Aajonus in the Primal Diet/Weston-Price forums. These forums are meant for people who are fans of those 2 diets. While, admittedly, many rawpalaeos, such as myself, have had their health seriously deteriorate on those 2 kinds of diet, it's really best to move  denunciations  of AV/Weston-Price to the general discussions forum. I'll do that now.

As for that 1 review, I would say that while a number of us are somewhat leery of the notions of Weston-Price re the supposed perfect health of hunter-gatherers, we are also not exactly fans of modern technology either, since we abhor cooking.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 04:28:54 am »
read the one star reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Nutrition-Physical-Degeneration-Weston-Andrew/product-reviews/0879838167/ref=cm_cr_dp_all_helpful?ie=UTF8&coliid=&showViewpoints=1&colid=&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

Yours is the only one star review.  Most gave five, btw.  No other gave so little, Robb.

R. Green "book maven" (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews

Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Nutrition and Physical Degeneration (Paperback)
Some people I know refer to this book and live and die by it like they have been brainwashed.

Basically, weston price found that people who ate processed foods had more tooth decay.

He said going back to a native diet would reverse tooth decay if you had it.

So what ? This book is far too long. The book never ends. Weston Price just wants to let everyone know that we are all a bunch of ignorant pigs who live on processed food and that the people who he found are all superior to us.

This book is just a Weston Price ego trip, saying how great he is under a cover of supposed healthy information. The book, is a difficult read. The never ending sentences, badly written, not quick to the point, very slow, very dreary, a pain to the eyes basically. Reading this book is exhausting, for all the wrong reasons.

Some people read this book, and start eating raw eggs, raw dairy, raw meat and expect to become super healthy. Get a life.

The main problem I have with this book is the attitude. Weston Price wants to make everyone feel inferior to these people who live on a native diet.

He describes various groups from all over the world, explaining why they are superior to everyone in the industrialised western world.

Weston Price says we are ignorant to the information of native tribes and ignorant to their culture. I would argue the same for them. Works both ways. Technology is not always a bad thing. We went wrong when it came to what we eat though, so I agree with him on that.

I am simplifying it, but what else did he find out except that eating processed food affects your dental arch and causes cavities etc etc and so on. He also makes a connection to diet and crime, and other connections of diet to other things like intelligence etc. He goes into detail about what animals should eat and avoid etc, yes, there is some good information here, but couldn't he present it a little better ?

Also, its not just the diet that is the important thing, it's the community and social interaction these groups of people had. This would make a huge difference in their health. There isn't much sense of community in industrialised cities.

Again, I have no idea why people rate this book so highly.

This book could easily be about 100 pages long. Maybe if he released a sequel summarising it in bullet points, maybe I would have more respect for him.

Why is this book a classic ? I have no idea. Maybe because he was the first person to discover this information. He was the first to write about what this industrialised 'white man' food did to damage us. But the information is simple. Its outdated too, considering everything else related to health in todays society.

This book only exists so people can use the phrase, ''but in the weston price book he says'', and so people can feel like they belong in a group because they read this book. There are some snippets of wisdom though.

I do not reccomend this book at all. Just visit the website, look at the information on what it tells you to avoid and what it tells you to do if you want information.

By the way, the website never ever ever responds to your emails.

I wrote to them regarding eyesight, and improving it naturally with diet and eye techniques and habits. I never got a response.

Also, what is the Weston Price foundation ? What do they do ? Why do they exist ? What would change if they didn't exist ? Their existence is pointless. How many times can you tell someone to eat grass fed butter before it gets annoying.

Published 2 months ago by R. Green

You must feel really bad.  Is it true that you're still vegan?
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline fuggles

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 05:09:34 am »
hehehehe

read my review of the champion juicer

Offline intouchwithinstinct

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 08:18:47 am »
Expressing flaws in the way something is written is fine and a healthy way of improving new things to come.  I however do not think attacking and down right insulting someones work usefull to anyone.   What a person focuses on is what they get, so why focus on negatives?  I think forums should be a place were we discuss things constructively.  There are many people who like Weston price on this site although we may disagree with some of the views many of us still appreciate much of the work.
"One wonders if there is not something in the life-giving vitamins and minerals of the food that builds not only great physical structures within which their souls reside, but builds minds and hearts capable of a higher type of mankind in which the material values of life are made secondary to individual character."~Weston Price~

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 05:12:19 pm »
I agree, I don't consider Weston-Price to be as much of a prophet as some others think, given his flaws, but it is inarguable that he is right on many counts(eg;- organ-meats etc.) and we should give him a fair hearing. Which reminds me I need to finish that review of his book for the main website within a few months.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 05:28:06 pm »
Please don't poo poo WAP on focal infections theory.

There's plenty of evidence that gum disease/tooth infection is related to miscarrage and from my own experience that tooth pain also makes my thyroid ache affecting my emotions.

Also my mum experiences vertigo when her tooth was infected.

“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 03:13:22 am »
I'll read up more about the theory. But I'll still have to include some mention of it as it is relevant to the WP-issues, even if only in passing.
" Ron Paul.

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 05:19:35 pm »
One of the reasons I stick up for WAP as opposed to others is that WAP clearly wasn't in it for the money.

He would of been wealthy but this trip would of been very expensive. I think his intentions were entirely noble.

Especially since his child died young I think he in some way wanted to right the wrongs of civilisation.

“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk