Author Topic: Exercise after Eating.  (Read 9215 times)

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Exercise after Eating.
« on: January 30, 2010, 01:46:37 am »
How bad is it to exercise soon after eating, what are the negative effects?

In this case, I had ~500g raw beef, and then began exercising within ~10mins of finishing eating as I had a driving lesson and so was especially pushed for time. The exercise involved 'maximum ROM' contortion of the spine, so there was quite a bit of disturbance to to stomach/gut area.

Will this cause food to pass through undigested and be non-absorbable? Or will it sit in the stomach until the body rests enough for it to continue, thereby risking the food going off within the gut and causing problems later on(since carnivores have specifically short digestive tracts to avoid this)?

Thanks.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Exercise after Eating.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 01:57:33 am »
I know that marathon runners avoid eating before a race, specifically to avoid diarrhea during the race.

I used to avoid eating before karate practice, because it was uncomfortable to do heavy exercise after a full meal. 

I think it really depends on how heavy the exercise is.  If it's diverting too much blood from your digestive system, then you are likely to have some problems.  I wouldn't worry about it, if it's not causing gas, gas pain, bloating, or diarrhea, though. 

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 02:01:06 am »
Hi,
Exercise after eating as harmful for health as it could cause stomach infection and cause it bleed internally.
There should be at least thirty minutes gap between eating and exercise..

Bullshit.

Offline achillezzz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 06:15:42 am »
Bullshit.

I once ate 8eggs yolks and 2 raw steaks before an athletic workout where I was forced to sprint and jump I ate and went to workout after 30mins and felt this side pain in my stomach very sharpp shit

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 07:54:38 am »
Before I started IF and semi-fasted lifting, I would eat my huge meal of the day and workout right after that. No issues.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 02:42:33 pm »
Klowcarb, I wouldn't be surprised if he was a spammer. despite no ad link, it sounds too generalised a comment etc.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 03:52:11 pm »
If doing intense exercise I need at least a 1,5 hr gap btween meal and workout otherwise -v

If doing low intensity endurance type stuff I've no issues if the meal is not too heavy.
“A man should be able to build a house, butcher a hog, tan the hide,
preserve the meat, deliver a baby, nurture the sick and reassure the dying, fight a war … specialization is for insects.”

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 01:21:24 am »
If doing intense exercise I need at least a 1,5 hr gap btween meal and workout otherwise -v

If doing low intensity endurance type stuff I've no issues if the meal is not too heavy.
This is my experience.

Your digestive system requires blood. So do muscles. Your body/brain/autonomic nervous system has to decide who has priority and since the body (due to it's inner logic) has to decide what is the immediate most important need, decides that since it does not differentiate your exercise from something it needs to do to keep from dying, ie. "I am being chased by a lion", it decides that the digestion is moot point, if the lion catches you. So it shoots the blood to the muscles thus starving the gastrointestinal tract of the needed blood.

Thus since there is no/very little blood left over the food passes through the system haphazardly with little or no preparation for the chemical metabolizing and therefore it continues on the assembly line to the intestinal tract where very little nutrition is available for the delicate osmotic activity of passing nutrition to the cells via the blood.

My experience since going raw is that I do not need or want a heavy meal anyways.

My experience is that eating a heavy meal is closely linked to a "mistake of the intellect". I find that if eating cooked food there is a psychological need not to waste the food that was cooked. No doubt someone has a better explanation but for some reason cooked food makes me overeat.

Klowcarb, was the food you ate cooked?
Cheers
Al

Offline proteus

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 01:52:37 am »
depends on what you eat.  i wouldn't want to exercise after eating at McDonalds ... of course i wouldn't want to eat in McDonalds in the first place.  i DO eat before workout to avoid catabolizing muscle but it's never solid food and never cooked food.  it's always something blended and raw. 

Lately i am using a food processor over a Vitamix because it allows me to pack the same nutrition into a smaller volume ( less water ).  This way it doesn't taste as watery and doesn't stretch out my stomach ( which i wouldn't want before a workout ).  Of course the Food Processor will not liquidize salad for example as Vitamix will - but it is perfectly adequate for what i put into it.

i have a meal of light food both before and after workout.  lighter to me means raw and blended, and heavy means cooked or solid.  i will only eat heavy food before bed.

listen to your body i guess.

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 01:59:55 am »
Klowcarb, was the food you ate cooked?

Cooked or raw hasn't mattered. I do mostly weightlifting and little if any cardio, and have no problem lifting on a full stomach. But that is in the past now that I IF.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 02:21:55 am »
But that is in the past now that I IF.
Excuse my ignorance, what is IF ?
Cheers
Al

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2011, 02:24:04 am »
OK just discovered it's intermediate fasting. : )

Why do you fast? Are you prone to weight gain?
Cheers
Al

Offline Techydude

• Shaman
  • The barefoot raw paleo nudist intactivist naturale
    • View Profile
    • Genital integrity through regenerative medicine
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2011, 03:03:32 am »
I don't exercise on a full stomach as it gives me a stomachache (me personally) but after a meal that I don't overeat and I wait like 10-30 mins to exercise i'm fine. But that's just me so i'm not sure.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2011, 01:33:14 pm »
I strongly prefer all kinds of morning exercises like weight traning, pull-ups, hindu squats, running, etc. on an empty stomach. 
Doing some physical activity in the afternoon or evening makes it necessery to eat sth beforehand - usually 1 hour gap suffices.
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2011, 08:23:05 am »
OK just discovered it's intermediate fasting. : )

Why do you fast? Are you prone to weight gain?

Fasting has nothing to do with being prone to weight gain. Have you ever been to leangains.com? Fasting has many benefits for those of us into paleo eating and bodybuilding.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk