Author Topic: Lamb  (Read 9784 times)

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Lamb
« on: January 31, 2010, 06:17:17 am »
Hi.

On four occasions I've had lamb(raw), and all four times I've felt sick(as in 'need to puke', however I didn't) afterwards(for quite a bit afterwards; don't remember how soon it would start but it'd last many hours). The first time it was 'New Zealand Lamb Chops' ~400g; then a single cut of 'welsh neck of lamb', this was quite a small amount anyway and I didn't finish it maybe ate 100g?; next it was welsh lamb ribs, maybe 200g eaten; lastly Welsh shoulder of lamb, shank-side, maybe 500g or something eaten. However, this lamb has been fattier than any beef I've had. When I ate the ribs, I really did feel like I could keep on eating. I didn't force the fat down, I wanted it, at a ~1:1 'thickness' ratio to the meat.

Has anyone else here had problem with lamb? What could be the reason for my troubles?

I've had fairly fatty beef, and then had a fair bit of extra raw-fat along with it too. This made me sluggish, but I don't recall feeling sick...

The lamb I've had does taste very different to the beef.

Thanks for any assistance/replies. Fairly urgent as I have a 'New Zealand Whole Shoulder of Lamb' in the fridge and if someone reckons it's just from too much fat(e.g. The lamb is grass-fed, so the fat has more nutrients but my body is not used to that yet so I can't handle much of it) then I can just discard a lot of the fat.

'Cheers'.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline invisible

• Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Lamb
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 06:29:07 am »
Never had a problem. Though I prefer the taste of beef.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 06:55:30 am »
    I've had habra nayeh numerous times at a restaurant without a problem.  I order a couple at a time, as it's intended by them to be a small appetizer.  To make it at home you just dice the lamb and add a bunch of fresh minced mint leaves.  Maybe it's the mint leaves that prevent a problem.  They normally have a bunch more ingredients: onion, scallion and salt.  I just ask them to leave that out and bring me a little olive oil.  I hope this helps.

I think cooked people eat mint jelly as their condiment to lamb quite often.  Maybe for similar reason.  I know a lot of people hate the smell of lamb plain without seasoning.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

William

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 11:29:07 am »
I didn't force the fat down, I wanted it, at a ~1:1 'thickness' ratio to the meat.

For beef, the proportion is 1:3 meat to fat, and lamb fat is supposed to be more saturated (more stearic acid), so could be more filling. Looks like you just ate too much fat.
I'm jealous. No fatty lamb here.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 02:57:12 pm »
I know a lot of people hate the smell of lamb plain without seasoning.
Yeah, I heard it many times. It's rather unbelievable to me, as I regard lamb as a good piece of stuff, without any spices :)
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 03:46:20 pm »
It's rather unbelievable to me, as I regard lamb as a good piece of stuff, without any spices :)

:P Me too, the smell of lamb never bothered me at all, I'm one of the few that I've met like that.  I think I was born on the wrong continent.

It was strange at first though, coming back to meat (but raw) and eating lamb and goat (raw) and then spending time with the live ones and sharing treats with them (avocado and apple).  Smelling the live ones smelled just like my food.  It was cool, but just a new experience to me.  

Lamb was one of the few meats I could eat as a kid without my throat swelling up.  I tried schawarma (just cucumber and tahini no bread nor tabouli) for the first time ever, recently.  That made me very inflamed all over.  I can really only eat lamb when it's all wet, juicy, greasy and moist.  I want to try mutton, but can't find it.  I like the taste of the suet from lamb kidneys too, and the hearts and brains.    

edited adding in last paragraph lost track of time
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 04:02:51 pm by RawZi »
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline Paleo Donk

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 09:48:37 pm »
You could easily still be adjusting to a higher fat intake as many here have attested to. I love lamb and have been eating it several times a week the past few weeks. Its the same fatty shoulder that you are describing. Its sometimes feels just a bit too fatty for me as well but I always finish it off with no problems.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 08:32:07 am »
For beef, the proportion is 1:3 meat to fat, and lamb fat is supposed to be more saturated (more stearic acid), so could be more filling. Looks like you just ate too much fat.
I'm jealous. No fatty lamb here.

You're saying that beef has 3x as much fat as it has meat? Or that that's the proportion which you eat it in?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 08:55:02 am by miles »
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

William

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 10:58:19 am »
You're saying that beef has 3x as much fat as it has meat? Or that that's the proportion which you eat it in?

/my bad

I reversed it - should be 3 parts meat, 1 part fat.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 07:31:25 am »
OMG eat the fat! Don't throw it out! Lamb shoulder is one of the easiest to eat (for newbies) high fat meals, since the fat is naturally mixed in with the muscle. Lamb has a weird gamey taste that no other meat does, but once you get used to it you'll be find. Two thumbs up for lamb over here. In fact tonight I'm going to put in a lamb shoulder to my fridge to start defrosting.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2010, 05:29:19 pm »
So I'm meant to have fevers as part of my daily life? -_- Because every time I've eaten this fat, that's what I've had.

OMG eat the fat! Don't throw it out! Lamb shoulder is one of the easiest to eat (for newbies) high fat meals, since the fat is naturally mixed in with the muscle. Lamb has a weird gamey taste that no other meat does, but once you get used to it you'll be find. Two thumbs up for lamb over here. In fact tonight I'm going to put in a lamb shoulder to my fridge to start defrosting.

When I say 'no energy', this is what I mean. Illness. It makes me ill, so I can't use any energy... I get a fever, I have diahrrea/steatorreah(whatever it's called in this instance). The fever means I've been 'breached' somehow, and my body is going kamikaze, trying to destroy the infected cells but at the cost of itself, convulsion and unconsciousness occurs to prevent brain-damage from the heat. The diahrrea is my body trying to get rid of this fat which is causing the problem... So I'm being a hypochondriac and should just eat it anyway, despite this? -_-
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 06:58:45 pm by miles »

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 07:23:51 pm »
You could try measuring out a very small amount and see if you get the same reaction, and then increase the amount of fat eaten per meal from there.

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2010, 08:42:44 pm »
So I'm meant to have fevers as part of my daily life? -_- Because every time I've eaten this fat, that's what I've had.

When I say 'no energy', this is what I mean. Illness. It makes me ill, so I can't use any energy... I get a fever, I have diahrrea/steatorreah(whatever it's called in this instance). The fever means I've been 'breached' somehow, and my body is going kamikaze, trying to destroy the infected cells but at the cost of itself, convulsion and unconsciousness occurs to prevent brain-damage from the heat. The diahrrea is my body trying to get rid of this fat which is causing the problem... So I'm being a hypochondriac and should just eat it anyway, despite this? -_-
No, you shouldn't. A fever is a sign that the body is fighting a pathogen of some form. If you get it every time you eat this fat it's obviously not good for your body.
I must have missed the fever part.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline afroza

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2010, 08:56:05 pm »
I eat almost exclusively lamb, or mutton actually, since they don´t kill young animals here. I live in India and beef is not a biggie in the market (but I do get it sometimes, now that I know where to find it). I had the same reactions that you mention for the first month or so, going raw, and I have them still every time I fall of the wagon and eat carbs and crap for a while. Not when eating cooked carbs, but whenever I start with RAF again, fever and diahrrea and absolutely no energy. I feel certain that it is heavy detox, every time. The body is dumping toxins in the stomach and using the extra fat to bind with it and throw it out the quickest way possible. Everytime I go through one of these detoxes I feel much better after then I did prior to it, so I think that I am gaining health by cleaning out old shit from my cells by using fever and diahrrea.
 Maybe what you are experiencing is part detox?  -v
I also use more and more fermented mutton, it also gives me a strong detox for the first week or so, and then I feel that I get loads of energi, since the food is predigested and all. I just buy extra meet, as fatty as I can get, when I´m in the market, chop it up and put it in a jar, filling it properly so that there is not so much room for air. After a couple of weeks I eat it, I even like taste, and it definetely helps my digestion.
Maybe you could try fermenting.
I would just keep on eating lots of fat, white or yellow, if I were you. I am sure the body is doing the right thing by giving you a fever and diahrrea. That´s probably just what you need right now. I don´t belive in dangerous patogens, your body will use any kind of bacteria or virus that is appropriate for the cleaning job at hand.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2010, 09:19:35 pm »
Why would the body have this detox function..? If someone got this 'in the wild' I'd think their survival chances would be pretty slim..?

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2010, 09:23:50 pm »
No, you shouldn't. A fever is a sign that the body is fighting a pathogen of some form. If you get it every time you eat this fat it's obviously not good for your body.
I must have missed the fever part.

What do you think I should do then? Although lamb is grass-fed, it is only alive for a short time. So perhaps that's why I get the same problems. If it could make it better I'll be getting some grass-fed beef. I'll try and find out how long it lives for and the type of fat in it. I'll be worried about getting this reaction again though... If I eat too much of it and it's not any better for my digestion.

Offline afroza

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2010, 12:20:21 am »
"In the wild" on a RAF diet you would not have detoxes. No toxins in your body to get rid of in the first place. But if you are brought up on modern cooked food like the rest of us you are sure to have them. I personally embrace them, since they make me stronger and healthier, but I can understand if you would like to minimize the negative effects of them. Experiment with different meats and fats, small quanteties, and just take it from there. Stay with the fats though, it is the only thing that can bind with stored toxins from cooked and processed food, pollution and shit.

Offline afroza

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2010, 12:40:17 am »
Might be useful to try honey with meats and fat, too. It´s loaded with enzymes to help digest proteins and fats. It has to be unheated.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2010, 01:46:01 am »
Oh right. The reason I went to eating raw meats though, was because I wanted to stop eating fruit since it was causing me inflammation(muscular and skin), and I thought I must have to get my water-soluble vitamins somewhere, and fruits would hydrate alongside the cooked-meat previously too. It didn't feel right to only eat cooked-food, though I suppose I could've cut out the fruit and just had veg; but it's not as hydrating and still has some sugar. However, when the water-soluble vitamins are lost in cooking, do they not just stay in the water/fat mixture lost from the meat? If so, I ate this anyway so I wouldn't have actually lost anything..? Honey is sugar so I'd think it'd have the same inflammatory effects on me as fruit?

I'm making an order of grass-fed beef tomorrow, which I think will come on Thursday. Hopefully I'll find it a lot better. If not, I don't know what I shall do =/

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2010, 05:39:57 am »
Try the beef and see how it makes you feel.
Fevers can be purging but convulsions are never a good sign. If it was me and I was having issues like that I'd really look hard at other energy sources, even temporarily, while your body adjusts.
I don't think it's the best choice but maybe dairy would be helpful in this transitional period. Or maybe truly raw honey.
Or maybe you might need marrow or something else less saturated if your liver/gallbladder has been too taxed over time (they'll get better, you just want to take it easy on them in the short-term).
All I can do is offer advice from my perspective; things that worked for my body where it was. Some of the advice will help you and some will be useless, you'll need to cull the good from the bad as you see your body's reactions.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2010, 08:54:11 am »
Btw, when I have fever I have a really horrible sour taste in my mouth, is this to stop me from eating/drinking?

William

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2010, 09:06:09 am »
Btw, when I have fever I have a really horrible sour taste in my mouth, is this to stop me from eating/drinking?

I would venture to say yes, as I use similar sensations as guides, but really, only you can properly interpret the messages your immune system is sending you.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk