Author Topic: Is it okay to eat re frozen meat  (Read 8415 times)

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Is it okay to eat re frozen meat
« on: February 01, 2010, 12:04:37 pm »
I bought grass fed steak that was frozen raw. I let it completely defrost and then re froze it is that okay?
thanjs
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
Re: Is it okay to eat re frozen meat
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 12:19:54 pm »
Topic: Is it okay to eat re frozen meat

From all I've read it's ok to eat frozen meat if it's only been frozen once and you eat it still frozen, allowing it to thaw in your mouth.

I know people who say they do well on frozen raw meat.

I wouldn't eat de-thawed meat, unless I had nothing else.  I don't believe it's healthy for people.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline Nation

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 02:48:32 pm »
I've eaten supermarket ground beef that contained 'previously frozen parts' and it never caused me any problems.

Are butchers/supermarkets in your country required to mention on the label that the meat was previously frozen? Here (Quebec) that's the case.

Does meat with harmful bacteria smell?

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 03:17:09 pm »
No its not required as far as i know. And im not sure about the bacteria thing.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 03:38:39 pm »
I've eaten supermarket ground beef that contained 'previously frozen parts' and it never caused me any problems.

You mean cooked, right?  Yeah, I've bought defrosted fish.  I didn't mean to buy defrosted, but they (the store employees) mean it to be that way.  No harm in cooking defrosted meat, if you cook meat anyway.  It usually has a sticker on the package though that states: "do not refreeze". 

I'm sensitive anyway.  I notice the way food is prepared, quickly, and what the ingredients are, and what the animal ate (if I'm eating meat). 
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline Nation

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 03:44:06 pm »
    You mean cooked, right?

No, raw.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 03:55:43 pm »
No, raw.

Are you zero carb?  Do you eat any cooked foods?  Just wondering what works with what.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 04:47:10 pm »
I bought grass fed steak that was frozen raw. I let it completely defrost and then re froze it is that okay?
thanjs

That's fine.  Though I would just leave it exposed open air in the refrigerator.  It tastes better as it ages.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Sitting Coyote

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 06:57:20 am »
I've eaten meat raw that was twice frozen too.  Its texture is a little different, but it tasted fine and I didn't have any problems.

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 02:18:17 pm »
thank you

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 05:55:03 pm »
Just wanted to add a caveat:- while most do OK on prefrozen meats, a tiny minority have mentioned getting nasty reactions to it.

As for what happens re freezing, the process ruptures the cell-walls which means that when you thaw it, you'd better eat it fast as otherwise a great deal of nutrient-loss occurs. I also heard an unsubstantiated claim from another RPDer that nezymes gradually get destroyed in the prefrozen meats so that by 10 weeks they're irrevwersibly damaged and useless. Also, the other catch is that prefrozen meat tastes less good than nonfrozen raw meats.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 02:43:00 am »
So I've gotten some heavy duty organs (tounge and heart) and wondering how to go about having it last a few weeks. Last time I got liver it was a race to finish the thing (1.5+ lb) within 4-5 days, and not really a big fan of eating that much liver.

Short of some kind of power tool, is there a way to thaw somewhat to cut it it into chunks and keep some frozen? The heart is like 3.6 lb.

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2010, 04:04:10 am »
Jerky.
Save what you can to eat fresh of the heart and dry the rest out as jerky. The heart will store great this way.
The tongue is really an eat it when it's thawed sort of thing. Raw tongue is OK IMO but I love to slice mine and then heat it for a couple hours at 104*F to semi-dry the slices. Very fatty and mouth-watering. :)
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2010, 04:20:56 am »
what method are you using to dry? I don't have a dehydrator.

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2010, 03:32:54 am »
one other Q regarding vaccum sealed frozen stuff.

I think I was told at some point never to wash off meat or fish if they have slime or so forth. Is this true and does this also apply to sealed frozen meats? I've been trying to eat mostly fresh muscle meats and only frozen fats and so forth, but I've had some frozen stew meat and organs which are pretty gooey and dripping. If it is very juicy I just wipe the plate with a paper towel, is this enough?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk