Author Topic: Hi!  (Read 4450 times)

Offline Felicie

• Forager
    • View Profile
Hi!
« on: July 19, 2008, 08:19:24 am »
Hi, I just started this diet 2 weeks ago, hoping that it would help me overcome some health problems. One of the big problems - constipation. So far, no change. :'(

I went cold turkey. I've been eating fatty steaks, eggs, and fish. Raw lamb tasted disgusting, for some reason, even though I love cooked lamb. So I didn't repeat the experiment. I also tried lamb hearts - they were even worse. I didn't mind the texture - I can get used to that - it was something about the aftertaste that didn't agree with me. Perhaps I should try beef heart. Maybe it doesn't have the same aftertaste. But the worst thing by far was bone marrow. I was kind of excited to try marrow, because it is one of my most favorite dishes when cooked. It turned out that raw marrow is nothing like the cooked one. It was grainy, not creamy, and it got stuck to my palate. I know that organ meats are supposed to be very good for you, better than flesh. But I went back to steak so far.  :-\

Offline boxcarguy07

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: Hi!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 08:23:43 am »
Hi Felicie!!

I know what you mean with constipation... it's not a huge problem for me, but i don't seem as "regular" as I did before i started eating large amounts of raw animal foods... back when I ate lots of raw plants and things like green smoothies. But in absolutely every other regard I feel so much better!

I just had raw lamb heart for the first time today, and I noticed no bad aftertaste at all. It could be that our tastes are just different, or it could be differences in where we got it from or freshness or something. Interesting nonetheless.

Enjoy your stay!  :)

Satya

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 09:17:20 am »
Hi, I just started this diet 2 weeks ago, hoping that it would help me overcome some health problems. One of the big problems - constipation. So far, no change. :'(

I went cold turkey. I've been eating fatty steaks, eggs, and fish. Raw lamb tasted disgusting, for some reason, even though I love cooked lamb. So I didn't repeat the experiment. I also tried lamb hearts - they were even worse. I didn't mind the texture - I can get used to that - it was something about the aftertaste that didn't agree with me. Perhaps I should try beef heart. Maybe it doesn't have the same aftertaste. But the worst thing by far was bone marrow. I was kind of excited to try marrow, because it is one of my most favorite dishes when cooked. It turned out that raw marrow is nothing like the cooked one. It was grainy, not creamy, and it got stuck to my palate. I know that organ meats are supposed to be very good for you, better than flesh. But I went back to steak so far.  :-\

Hi Felicie,
Steaks are fine to go with starting out, but I cannot imagine lamb being stronger than beef, especially concerning organs.  But there are many factors about meats; like  feed, living conditions, age, hanging time, etc.  Same with marrow.  I love lamb cooked and raw - it is my favorite.  Good luck finding palatable, healthy raw foods!

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 10:03:57 am »
Hi

I had IBS for 10 years! low carb helped a lot then raw paleo really fixed the deal.
I think you will see a huge improvement in a very short period of time. I think high levels of serotonin produced in the gut is a possible explanation.

“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 05:32:22 pm »

It's common for some side-effect to occur when you suddenly transition from cooked to raw - the most common symptom is diarrhea - I had unusually light green diarrhea for the first 2 to 3 days where I had to go the toilet every 15 minutes, before it tahnkfully stopped - given the unusual green colour of the stools, it was obviously some form of detox. Don't worry, though, these things pass.*One thing, mind you, people generally need to sh*t much less regularly on a low-carb diet than on a high-carb one, and less on a raw diet than a cooked one, so being less "regular" than on a cooked diet isn't necessarily a bad thing*- I think this is primarily because raw carbs like plants include lots of fibre/roughage which is not properly absorbed by the body leading to bigger stools ; and raw animal food is generally much more easily digested (ie more bioavailable) than cooked, so that the body makes more use of the available nutrients so that less comes out the other end. At least, that's my own experience:- when I eat raw fermented sauerkraut my stools are huge as they are when I have to eat some cooked food on a festive occasion like Christmas(eg:- organic christmas pudding).

Don't jump into raw organ-meats so suddenly:- Most people need time to get used to the whole concept of raw meat first. When I first started, I went in for organic grassfed minced meat but found it very bland in taste. I then tried raw organ-meats like liver but it was so awful that I couldn't handle it - so I experimented and found that swallowing tiny slivers of raw liver , 1 at a time, worked as long as I chased each sliver down with a mouthful of mineral-water and didn't chew for more than a microsecond. So, I went back and decided to try 100s of different raw animal foods(in tiny amounts each to avoid huge costs) and tried all of them - I subsequently found that a lot of raw shellfish and some raw fish , and one or two meats like raw goat, were instantly preferred by me re taste  - only c.10% of the 100s of different raw animal foods I experimented with turned out to be an instant success, but I decided that 90% of my diet from then on would include those foods, with 10% of the diet consisting of foods I didn't like at all , such as raw liver etc.:- I knew that after a while I would get used to and eventually enjoy the taste of things like raw organ-meats, and I duly did so - but the trick was to keep on eating lots of raw animal foods which I liked.

Re marrow:- marrow comes in 2 forms:-"(Vilhjalmur) Stefansson describes two types of marrow, one type from the lower leg which is soft "more like a particularly delicious cream in flavor" and another from the humerus and femur that is "hard and tallowy at room temperatures."

"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 11:37:18 pm »
My take on constipation is to eat more fruit and to eat more fat.
Fruit makes you move.
Fat makes you move.

My wife eats cooked food and when she is constipated she takes 2 tablespoons of virgin coconut oil (pure fat) in the morning on an empty stomach.  Wait for the fat to do its job and move the bowels.

I made a page to teach you how to cleanse the bowels so you can start on a clean slate. http://www.curemanual.com/detox-protocols/colon-cleanse

Some herbals will get you moving and train your colon to do its job properly now that you are switching to real human food.  In a few months, you shouldn't need those herbal aids.  I don't use them anymore today, but my wife who is on cooked food still uses them.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk