Author Topic: Carnivores and sleep?  (Read 9504 times)

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Carnivores and sleep?
« on: February 15, 2010, 07:07:43 am »
Hey
I read somewhere that lions, tigers and other carnivores sleep for 20+ hours a day regularly. How come when humans do this we dont require all that sleep? Why do carnivores sleep so long?
thanks
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: Carnivores and sleep?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 07:27:30 am »
I sleep more eating carnivore than I did previously. I sleep 9+ hours most nights and would prefer to get even more but it's hard for my wife and I to get to bed earlier than 10PM most nights.
Maybe most carnivores sleep so much because they can? A couple hours of stalking prey, killing it, and gorging. Afterwards there's no incentive to go out wandering; you can only put so much food in your stomach. The 20+ hours per day seems excessive though, I don't think it'd be that high.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline invisible

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 07:29:52 am »
I like to get around 10 hours sleep, though I rarely do.

William

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 08:13:56 am »
Why do carnivores sleep so long?

Malnutrition. They eat an excessively high proportion of lean meat.

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 11:13:52 am »
I don't sleep much and a couple of times a week I wake up at 2-3am like this morning, fully refreshed. I like it. 
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 12:52:49 pm »
Tigers aren't picky? they see meat they eat meat whether it be lean or pure fat.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

carnivore

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 02:31:39 pm »
Hey
I read somewhere that lions, tigers and other carnivores sleep for 20+ hours a day regularly. How come when humans do this we dont require all that sleep? Why do carnivores sleep so long?
thanks

Protein requires lots of energy to be digested and readily assimilated. Better eat them before going to sleep.
BTW, carnivores live shorter live than herbivores...

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 03:36:42 pm »
Right Im agreeing with that but why dont humans require an extensive amount of sleep (20 hours) like other carnivores? Also does this mean humans will have shorter life spans on an carnivorous diet???

carnivore

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 04:09:22 pm »
Right Im agreeing with that but why dont humans require an extensive amount of sleep (20 hours) like other carnivores? Also does this mean humans will have shorter life spans on an carnivorous diet???

Humans are not carnivore. They are omnivore.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 04:14:27 pm »
why dont humans require an extensive amount of sleep (20 hours) like other carnivores?

maybe carnivores sleep extra cause they can, maybe it's not a requirement, but a choice.  maybe humans just have brains that are too cluttered with primate thoughts to choose to sleep so much.  how about primates that eat much meat and not, how much do each sleep?
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 05:45:31 pm »
Lol but what about all the carnivore zcers???

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2010, 06:39:54 pm »
Carnivores like lions and tigers sleep either because it's so hot in the tropics that it doesn't make sense to be active all the time, especially during the middle of the day. Plus, by conserving energy via sleep, they can make a kill last longer in terms of energy/calories.

I have never heard of any substantial differences in sleeping-patterns between raw human  omnivores and raw human carnivores, though(except in the transitional phase for successful RZCers, and, of course, raw omnivores who do badly on RZC like myself have to sleep longer because of the vast increase in chronic fatigue.There is some anecdotal evidence, though, to indicate that just going raw reduces the amount of sleep one needs to have(I think it's because cooked foods require more energy/resources from the boldy  re digestion so that a cooked meal in the evening helps to prolong sleep so that the body can recover).

"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline tests

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2013, 05:23:09 pm »
Because of all that protein they have to digest

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk