Author Topic: Are Bard Valley Dates raw?  (Read 17288 times)

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Are Bard Valley Dates raw?
« on: February 16, 2010, 02:22:50 am »
Are Bard Valley Dates raw? In other words have they been steamed or whatever?

Thanks
Al
Cheers
Al

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
Re: Are Bard Valley Dates raw?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 02:36:59 am »
    Medjool?  Do they have other varieties?  Have you asked them?
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 02:58:56 am »
I just called them. They said they are dried in a drying room which gets to 120 to 130 degrees. Is that considered good for a raw diet?
Cheers
Al

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 03:01:37 am »
    Raw vegan foods should be under 118 degrees Farenheit.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 04:00:02 am »
Any suggestions on providers or growers that are considered raw?
Cheers
Al

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 04:13:02 am »
Raw vegans generally consider foods to be raw if heated up till 115 to 120 degrees fahrenheit, depedning on the individual. RVAFers generally consider a food to be raw if heated to no more than 98 to 110 degrees fahrenheit, with 104 degrees fahrenheit being cited as the most common figure. As for me, I developed some black gunk coming out of my eyes from eating too many organic medjool dates, so I figure there must be some additives/preservatives in them of some sort.

*Strange, I'm sure I posted this very post  before, but it must have not gone through*
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 04:26:30 am »
They say their dates are organic but after listening to "The Omnivore's Dilemma" by Michael Pollan http://www.michaelpollan.com/  I am a little wary of how people define organic. The government has a wild and crazy definition of organic.
Cheers
Al

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 04:29:11 am »
They say their dates are organic but after listening to "The Omnivore's Dilemma" by Michael Pollan http://www.michaelpollan.com/  I am a little wary of how people define organic. The government has a wild and crazy definition of organic.
  Exactly.  Organic is used for describing some grainfed animals , despite the ill-health of the latter, and I've often come across raw meats which were superior to officially organic meats simply because the farmer allowed the animals to forage more and have more movement etc., but of course those small-time farmers couldn't afford to officially convert to organic status.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 11:13:03 am »
As for me, I developed some black gunk coming out of my eyes from eating too many organic medjool dates, so I figure there must be some additives/preservatives in them of some sort.

Those were pitted dates, though, right?  I think all pitted dates have been steamed.  I know the ones in the US have all been.  All the pitted ones are Deglet Noor, and they're all steamed.  The Medjools here are not pitted. They are all totally raw.

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 12:47:13 pm »
HI,   not sure that this number is still good,  but years ago when I ate dates,  I only bought from  The Date People  at 760 359 3211.   Jaimie had a date called Thoorey that was comparatively low in sugar, and was used by eastern peoples, you know, camel peoples, on treks.  It stores really well, and the worms are tasty.    They are in southern Ca.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 01:31:32 pm »
HI,   not sure that this number is still good,  but years ago when I ate dates,  I only bought from  The Date People  at 760 359 3211.   Jaimie had a date called Thoorey that was comparatively low in sugar, and was used by eastern peoples, you know, camel peoples, on treks.  It stores really well, and the worms are tasty.    They are in southern Ca.

Are you guaranteed worms?  I've heard the date people are good.  I heard this from vegans though.  I buy dates in person, when I buy them.  I wonder which un-steamed dates aajonus eats.  I think it's his only fruit.

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 02:40:09 pm »
If you freeze the dates,  you stop the worms from growing.  They are more like meal worms.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 03:32:24 pm »
If you freeze the dates,  you stop the worms from growing.  They are more like meal worms.

Oo my hamsters love catching live meal worms.  Maybe they'll like dates too.  Are dates ok to freeze because of already low water content?  I never knew anyone ever froze a date.  I wish the name wasn't confusing written and we use pictographs.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2010, 07:47:21 pm »
Those were pitted dates, though, right?  I think all pitted dates have been steamed.  I know the ones in the US have all been.  All the pitted ones are Deglet Noor, and they're all steamed.  The Medjools here are not pitted. They are all totally raw.
Usually they are pitted, some are not. But they all seem to have that effect on me which I mentioned.
" Ron Paul.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2010, 08:25:22 am »
These Medjool dates from Bard are not pitted.
The dates (medjool) were a breakfast suggestion from my Ayurvedic doc (Vaidya) to get rid of vata in the AM.
I don't leave home without them.
Cheers
Al

Offline chucky

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2010, 04:07:49 pm »
These Medjool dates from Bard are not pitted.
The dates (medjool) were a breakfast suggestion from my Ayurvedic doc (Vaidya) to get rid of vata in the AM.
I don't leave home without them.

Interesting.  Is there any health benefits in dates besides nice amount of tryptophan and sugar ? I know only that body converts tryptophan to niacin using Vitamin B6 for this.

But I remember eating dates with warm milk. Really relaxing !

Offline chucky

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2010, 07:59:07 pm »
Interesting.  Is there any health benefits in dates besides nice amount of tryptophan and sugar ? I know only that body converts tryptophan to niacin using Vitamin B6 for this.

But I remember eating dates with warm milk. Really relaxing !

Just bumping the post.

Why he says that dates are good ? I tried them and after a week of eating 5-8 dried dates a day it felt like they were decreasing testosterone levels. Stopped eating them since yesterday.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2010, 09:39:15 pm »
It was a recipe that I was given by my Ayurvedic Doctor owing to my particular body type. It may very well affect testosterone levels. I would not suggest taking another person's word on anything because as the expression goes one man's meat is another's poison.

The modern day idea that food and supplements are universal and we should all eat the same is a clever marketing scheme. I chuckle at people who with a straight face tell everybody that they have to eat so much vitamin a, b, c d, e, etc. Phone them up is 6 months after they start to react to their guru's teaching. For some people garlic and onions are a Godsend. For me its like eating sulphuric acid.
Cheers
Al

Offline cliff

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2010, 10:06:35 pm »
I got a hook up for some of the best dates in cali(imo), they aren't fresh right off the tree as the seasons over but they are still really juicy and very tasty(way better then any store bought date).  Check out my site, http://califruit.webs.com/.  Khadrawy, halawi and deglet are the only ones still available

Offline chucky

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2010, 12:12:24 am »
It was a recipe that I was given by my Ayurvedic Doctor owing to my particular body type. It may very well affect testosterone levels. I would not suggest taking another person's word on anything because as the expression goes one man's meat is another's poison.

The modern day idea that food and supplements are universal and we should all eat the same is a clever marketing scheme. I chuckle at people who with a straight face tell everybody that they have to eat so much vitamin a, b, c d, e, etc. Phone them up is 6 months after they start to react to their guru's teaching. For some people garlic and onions are a Godsend. For me its like eating sulphuric acid.

It's bread not meat :) I am feeling much better already after not touching the dates. I just started with onions and they made me dizzy alot at first. It's decreasing regularly. Just experimenting with sulfur.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk