Author Topic: Sea Salt Brands  (Read 12406 times)

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Sea Salt Brands
« on: July 24, 2008, 10:51:35 pm »
For anyone using sea salt occasionally use this brand, I highly Recommend it!

It is called Real Salt Sea Salt

It has a natural mineral trace left in it (unheated uncooked)...You can tell from the color. On the back of the container it shows all of the minerals that are in it...of course small amounts, but it assures it is unprocessed

www.realsalt.com
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 10:54:19 pm by Sully »

Offline avalon

• Forum Clown
  • Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Sea Salt Brands
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 01:15:21 am »
I used to use Celtic Sea Salt. Then Real Salt. But I read a post that said the mineral benefits in sea salt weren't worth the cost since they are so negligible- as salt goes. Actually, I became worried about the lack of iodine. Paranoia will destroya :)

I've been using Hain Iodized Sea Salt, but was not happy about Dextrose as an ingredient. But then I heard of Master kalas Salt.
Kalas is the largest producer of sea salt in Greece. They use the re-crystallization method of refining which is done under vacuum conditions. It guarantees absolute purity and uses natural means to rid the salt of residues from the salt-works and of microorganisms. Use this natural, iodized table salt in place of regular salt at the table. You will find that you use less salt with more flavor.
With no dextrose! When I use up my salt I'll buy some.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51C52GVD4SL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Best wishes,
Avalon   ;D
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 01:55:50 am by avalon »

coconinoz

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 02:21:35 am »

in my current understanding & personal experience, 1 significant advantage of moist sea salt is its mineral contents as well as the presence of (most) volatile elements in fresh ocean salt
mine salt -- real salt, himalaya, etc. -- on the other hand, no matter how pretty it looks, is an old thing, buried for ages while losing its potency

sea salt from northern france, celtic & similar brands, is collected in an ever cloudy area & dried mainly by the constant wind there (not overdried by sun or heaters); its moistness reflects its high magnesium content

as far as how to use salt, this is my own personal experience:
in the past i had problems with no salt whatsoever as well as with sprinkling salt grains directly on my food
so this is what i do now: prepare a brine with moist sea salt, which i keep in a glass jar in the dark & cool & then dispense with a dropper into my drinking water or (fresh or fermenting) food
in my mind, this using a brine instead of dry salt makes a lot of sense: salt comes from the ocean, within which it's constantly dissolved; that's how fish & algae use it

re. where to find it:
celtic salt is available at whole foods; another french brand is found here (1 or 5 lb i.e. 1/2 kilo or more bags):
http://www.saltworks.us/shop/product.asp?idProduct=264

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 02:29:16 am »
I used to use Celtic Sea Salt. Then Real Salt. But I read a post that said the mineral benefits in sea salt weren't worth the cost since they are so negligible- as salt goes. Actually, I became worried about the lack of iodine. Paranoia will destroya :)

I've been using Hain Iodized Sea Salt, but was not happy about Dextrose as an ingredient. But then I heard of Master kalas Salt.With no dextrose! When I use up my salt I'll buy some.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51C52GVD4SL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Best wishes,
Avalon   ;D
The point to show mineral content is to tell the consumer it wasn't processed. They aren't boasting about the quantity of it. Although it has a good amount of iodine in it too, in terms of daily value that is. Hain is a horrible salt..... :P

Offline avalon

• Forum Clown
  • Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 02:55:47 am »
I agree about Hain. But I'm not sure .002% is a good amount of Iodine in Real Salt..

Part of the whole Sea Salt strategy is the mineral content. I just wonder if those beautiful minerals add up to be of any consequense.  When you're getting the bulk of your minerals from paleo veggies.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 06:44:16 am by avalon »

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 03:11:28 am »
I agree about Hain. But I'm not sure .002% is a good amount of Iodine in Real Salt..

Part of the whole Sea Salt strategy is the mineral content. I just wonder if those beautiful minerals add up to be on any consequense.  When you're getting the bulk of your minerals from paleo veggies.

It says on the back 10% of daily value per serving...But how true is this daily value stuff now a days.

coconinoz

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2008, 04:01:17 am »

Offline avalon

• Forum Clown
  • Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2008, 06:57:29 am »
Our Celtic Ocean Sea Salt should not be confused with ordinary sea salts - many of these still go through a considerable refinement process.
I don't know, whenever you read something great, written by the manufacturer ??? I'm a Believer!  ;D

I know the supposed benefits. I understand the reasoning. I believe in the taste difference. Still I question the big picture.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sea-salt/AN01142

Satya

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2008, 07:23:47 am »
I use Celtic salt.  I eat dried, shredded kombu (kelp) from the oriental market.  Soak it, drain and use like pasta.  A ton of minerals and the richest source of iodine on the planet. 

Offline avalon

• Forum Clown
  • Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2008, 09:04:56 pm »
That sounds yummy.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk