Author Topic: Strange milk fermentation  (Read 4611 times)

Offline majormark

• Chief
    • View Profile
Strange milk fermentation
« on: March 08, 2010, 01:50:39 am »

Maybe you can explain what just happened...

Yesterday I wanted to see what happens if I let raw milk ferment by itself vs with little bits of commercial plain yogurt in it for about 30 hours. Essentially I wanted to see if the cup containing commercial yogurt bits will ferment faster.

And guess what... The plain milk seems to have fermented FASTER... I expected the opposite.

The glass container with just milk has a yogurt like hard consistency and the one with bits of yogurt has just the fat gathered on top and the rest is liquid, sour tasting, milk.

The container with plain milk was partially covered (~80%) while the other one was completely uncovered (if that makes any difference).

So, how does that work?

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Strange milk fermentation
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 11:39:08 am »
Lots of variables going on here.  First,  yeasts grow fastest at temps colder than body temps.  Bacterias generally grow faster at body temps.  Raw milk will have it's own yeasts and bacteria.  Commercial yogurts can be any sort of bacteria, but are probably ones selected to culture at a very specific temp, and may not compete well with other organisms.   Bacterias multiply or double every ten to twenty minutes in ideal circumstances.   There can be any number of airborne bacterias or yeasts.

Offline Roselene

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
    • I like We Want 2 Live.
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 01:05:24 pm »
Should this be in the Weston Price or Primal Diet section?

When I leave raw milk out open to air it firms up too.  I don't know why your other one didn't.  It de-homogenized better though?

Offline majormark

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 06:01:37 pm »

I figured out why the milk in one container firmed up while the other didn't. But still cant really understand.

It's because the milk that got firm faster was partially covered.

In the beginning I had 3 wide glass containers. One with plain milk and the other two with added yogurt that were not covered.

When I partially covered one of the containers with added yogurt, it got firm over night while the other is still liquid.

So probably too much air actually slows down fermentation at room temperature.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 01:13:24 am »
Milk should be discussed in the primal diet forum or the weston-price forum. IMO. I will move it there.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 11:15:39 am »
It's not the air that slowed it down, but airborne yeasts that got in the milk.  Yeasty milk will turn gooey.  Bacteria milk will go solid.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 01:38:12 pm »
    I don't like the goo.  Those powdered god knows what dairy source starters make fairly gross goo no matter the quality of milk you ferment with it.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline majormark

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 04:11:11 pm »
I will always cover it if I ferment some more because the fat from the one that fermented slower tasted a little like yeast.

By the way, I noticed I don't feel the need to drink other liquids if I eat too much of it. Milk leaves me a little thirsty somehow.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 04:17:43 pm by majormark »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk