Author Topic: "Gel Caps"  (Read 11377 times)

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
"Gel Caps"
« on: March 12, 2010, 01:28:27 am »
In 'Gel Capsules'(For Omega 3 Fish Oil, Vitamin D etc..), the main components are glycerol and gelatin(in no particular order). Correct me if I should be, but I'm not particularly worried about the gelatin. The glycerol however, although present in tri-glycerides, tastes sweet(I assume it's the glycerol, but the caps taste sweet anyway). Could this be a problem? What could be the effects of consuming glycerol in addition to what is naturally present in fat?

Thank you.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"In foods and beverages, glycerol serves as a humectant, solvent and sweetener, and may help preserve foods. It is also used as filler in commercially prepared low-fat foods (e.g., cookies), and as a thickening agent in liqueurs. Glycerol and water are used to preserve certain types of leaves. As a sugar substitute, it has approximately 27 calories per teaspoon and is 60 percent as sweet as sucrose. Although it has about the same food energy as table sugar, it does not raise blood sugar levels, nor does it feed the bacteria that form plaques and cause dental cavities. As a food additive, glycerol is labeled as E number E422."

-Wikipedia

Well, this quote has pretty much satisfied me that it should be no problem. Thanks anyway to anyone who read my query.

However, Wikipedia is not necessarily a wholly reliable source so if anyone can speak to the contrary I'm still interested, and if I find anything elsewhere then I'll post it.

The main thing I was concerned about was that it may raise blood-sugar, but even if this article is correct in that it doesn't, I don't know there aren't other possible side-effects.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 01:53:58 am by miles »
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

William

Re: "Gel Caps"
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 05:10:00 am »
Gel cap material contain 11% free glutamates, a neurotoxin.
Some react, most don't.
Think monosodium glutamate, similar stuff.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 09:18:31 am »
How did you find this out? Do all of them contain this?
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

William

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 11:50:33 am »
I used to be a member of http://www.afibbers.org/toboards.htm, where people try to find what to do about an incurable kind of heart disease - anything that can disrupt the nervous system in the heart was discussed extensively, including free glutamates.
IIRC all gel caps have it.

If you google "free glutamates", or "free glutamates gel caps" you will see what I mean.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 01:51:58 am »
Woot. I can just bite the gelcaps, suck out the contents and spit out the capsule. WOOT!

Offline chucky

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 01:25:16 am »
Gel cap material contain 11% free glutamates, a neurotoxin.
Some react, most don't.
Think monosodium glutamate, similar stuff.

I react to glutamate (not some allergic reaction but it messes with my brain and body) and when I was taking gelatin caps it made me foggy. So I started to wonder about it and got an idea to suck the fish oil out and did not have any weird foggy feeling afterwards.

Woot. I can just bite the gelcaps, suck out the contents and spit out the capsule. WOOT!

I was doing the same thing.

You might be interested: http://www.msgtruth.org/NEWUNIFIEDTHEORY.pdf MSG,glutamate and autism. I started to follow this before paleo.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 08:55:41 pm »
Those tables are pretty huge Janar, without knowing what I'm looking for. Could you give a summary of any sort?

You said you were doing the same thing, why did you stop?

Offline chucky

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 09:45:44 pm »
Those tables are pretty huge Janar, without knowing what I'm looking for. Could you give a summary of any sort?

You said you were doing the same thing, why did you stop?

Because i am not taking any supplements anymore. But when I stopped gel caps, I changed it to bottled fish oil and took it by spoon.

These chart show how glutamate toxicity can be connected will almost anything. The worst culprit here is Monosodium glutamate that has the most free glutamate but if the liver is not healthy and can't detox natural glutamate found in wheat (50% of gluten is free glutamate), whey, soy etc. it will cause much harm as MSG does. MSG and excess glutamate can pass BBB(Blood Brain Barrier) where they are converted to one harmful substance ( I don't remember the name of it ) that will mess with the brain cells, over excite them and kill them.

Glutamate depletes Taurine but Taurine is so essential!

I mentioned sulfur earlier. Taurine needs sulfur and taurine helps with making bile for digestion use.

"TAURINE, is an important sulfur-containing free amino acid (made from
cysteine). It is the second most prevalent free amino acid in the human body
after glutamate."

I'm no expert on this and don't know much to tell about it except that I avoid MSG like a plague. If you take time and follow the chart you will start to understand as this chart is like putting a big puzzle together.

A year back I was 4 -5 months on Roaccutane that could have damaged my liver alot..

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 11:33:12 pm »
In fish oil caps(I just take the contents, not the cap itself) is it possible that the quantity of added 'vitamin E'(dl-alpha tocopherol/mixed tocopherols/d-alpha tocopheryl[I've seen different versions of 'vitamin E' on different ones]) could cause any noticeable negative effects?

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 08:17:26 pm »
Eugh... I had been getting my fish-oil & CLO capsules from Holland & Barrett, but recently I ran out and bought some fish-oil caps from a supermarket. The ones from H&B actually tasted really nice, I really enjoyed them, sucking the oil out of the cap. They tasted fresh. But these supermarket ones taste sort of old, not refreshing or pleasant to take at all. Why would this be?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 09:38:00 pm »
Holland and Barret fish oil capsules are useless, I've tried them before, pre-rpd diet. Only buy raw fermented cod liver oil from Green Pastures as it's one of the very few guaranteed to be raw. You can get that in UK sites such as red23.co.uk but it's cheaper, IMO, buying from the states.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 10:37:56 pm by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 10:33:57 pm »
They would seriously sell cooked fish-oil!? wtf... Why though, should it be fermented?

The stuff from H&B did taste so fresh and nice though, but the supermarket ones horrible. It was like the difference between raw carrot and cooked carrot...

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2010, 10:38:44 pm »
The fermented version has higher nutrient-levels and lasts longer. I think if it's unfermented it needs antioxidants or other preservative.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 10:08:15 pm »
That seems really bad that they are selling fish oils that are cooked...

I'm still eating grain-finished meats at the moment which is why I feel I need to take fish-oil. Are there any raw 'fish oil' sources that you would recommend Tyler, other than Cod Liver Oil? I'm not sure if it being CLO would limit the amount I could have because of the high A&D content..? There is also a site 'iherb.com' where I can get a reduction, can you see anything on that site which would be raw fish oil? Including CLO...

So I would appreciate it if you'd have a look there on iHerb for me, to see if there are any forms of raw fish oil(inc. CLO). Other than that I'd be interested in any non CLO sources of raw fish oil(unless you think there is not a risk of consuming too much Vit.A from CLO in reasonable, regular quantities). You also are confident that fermented fish oil is better than it having added antioxidants?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 10:20:38 pm by miles »

William

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2010, 09:33:08 am »
Other than that I'd be interested in any non CLO sources of raw fish oil(unless you think there is not a risk of consuming too much Vit.A from CLO in reasonable, regular quantities).

Krill oil, for those who do not trust the fermented fish oil that burns that back of the throat.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2010, 05:12:37 pm »
I don't think it matters too much if the cod liver oil is full of vitamins a and d. Just stick to the usual dosage and everything will be fine.

As for other brands of fish-oils, the only suitable one is from Green Pastures. All the others have some sort of heating process etc.

Like William said, you could try Mercola's Krill oil as it is even richer in omega-3s and has negligible amounts of vitamins A and D.
" Ron Paul.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2010, 06:54:27 pm »
For raw Krill oil are there more options then? Or would I still be limited, for example, to Mercola's Krill oil?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2010, 01:40:34 am »
For raw Krill oil are there more options then? Or would I still be limited, for example, to Mercola's Krill oil?
As far as I know.
" Ron Paul.

Offline michaelwh

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2010, 02:33:42 am »
Good-quality fish organs are hard to find, so I understand why someone would want to take CLO.

But I don't understand why someone would want to take fish oil just for the omega-3 fats. Why not eat raw fatty fish instead?

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2010, 03:44:25 pm »
Because I eat grain-fed meat...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk