Author Topic: Wheres the calcium in our diet?  (Read 6671 times)

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Wheres the calcium in our diet?
« on: March 12, 2010, 01:48:50 pm »
I realize that there actually is calcium in meat but I was reading this article
http://www.naturalhub.com/natural_food_guide_meat.htm
and it explained that we probably ate small animals like lizards whole. Which meant the bones included. I don't plan on eating lizard so is there any other way to get some good paleo calcium?
thanks
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Wheres the calcium in our diet?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 03:27:20 pm »
Look , paleoman never needed to consume raw dairy and yet had strong bones. Plus, paleoman for most of the paleolithic preyed on large mammals whose bones were too solid to be eaten properly. Besides; there have been studies done on low-calcium-eating bantu women who had very strong bones. Simply put,  strong bones requires small amounts of calcium, magnesium, phosphorus and vitamin D. As long as you have all these, it`s fine.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 03:31:15 pm »
is there any other way to get some good paleo calcium?
thanks
Fish bones, softer parts of mammal bones, egg shells, seaweeds, nuts and seeds, figs, broccoli, kale, amaranth, collards, roselle, oranges, olives.
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 03:35:47 pm »
there have been studies done on low-calcium-eating bantu women who had very strong bones.
As I remember they ate about 200-250 mg of calcium a day which is 20% of RDA
Simply put,  strong bones requires small amounts of calcium, magnesium, phosphorus and vitamin D. As long as you have all these, it`s fine.
Vitamin D is very important, so we should be in the sun very often. Besides, raw cod liver oil, fatty wild fish, egg yolks are a good source of this vitamin.

Offline whatever

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 04:47:11 pm »
In water?!

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 04:54:34 pm »
In water?!
Very low bioavailability

Offline Seeker_1

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 01:54:49 am »
T'would seem people with damage to thier nervous system may benefit from alil extra calcium.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1588635
Suck up them eggs :) (or dairy if you perfer it)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 04:03:23 am »
T'would seem people with damage to thier nervous system may benefit from alil extra calcium.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1588635
Suck up them eggs :) (or dairy if you perfer it)

Utter b*ll*cks, I'm afraid. The trouble with consuming calcium via eggs or dairy is that both contain extremely high calcium:magnesium ratios. A too high calcium:magnesium ratio in the diet(normal palaeo ratio is  between 1:1 and 1:2) inevitably leads to blocking of uptake of magnesium into the body thus leading to magnesium deficiency. Magnesium is desperately needed for strong bones, and especially the nervous system.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 06:40:18 am »
  Utter b*ll*cks, I'm afraid. The trouble with consuming calcium via eggs or dairy is that both contain extremely high calcium:magnesium ratios. A too high calcium:magnesium ratio in the diet(normal palaeo ratio is  between 1:1 and 1:2) inevitably leads to blocking of uptake of magnesium into the body thus leading to magnesium deficiency. Magnesium is desperately needed for strong bones, and especially the nervous system.
Well I was planning on eating 2-3 eggs daily? Is this okay if I up my magnesium intake? Whats the best source of magnesium in your opinion?
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2010, 02:51:30 pm »
Whats the best source of magnesium in your opinion?
Re animal products - mackerel, mollusks and horse meat are quite good source of magnesiuim.
Besides - nuts and seeds.

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2010, 03:19:13 pm »
Re animal products - mackerel, mollusks and horse meat are quite good source of magnesiuim.
Besides - nuts and seeds.
thank you

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2010, 05:58:45 pm »
Well I was planning on eating 2-3 eggs daily? Is this okay if I up my magnesium intake? Whats the best source of magnesium in your opinion?
 Eggs have  a 4:1 ratio of calcium:magnesium not as bad as dairy with well up to 12:1 calcium:magnesium ratio, depending on type of dairy. 2-3 raw eggs a day shouldn't be a problem re this as long as you're also eating lots of muscle-meats/organs/seafood which has plenty of magnesium in it. Best source of magnesium technically is raw pumpkin seeds but they're largely tasteless - some pders eat them a lot if consuming a lot of raw dairy.

It should be noted that in palaeo times eggs were rarely available as birds only laid eggs seasonally and the eggs would have been not too easy to find being in nests up trees etc. So , IMO, raw eggs should be only rarely eaten.
" Ron Paul.

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2010, 04:46:10 am »
It should be noted that in palaeo times eggs were rarely available as birds only laid eggs seasonally and the eggs would have been not too easy to find being in nests up trees etc. So , IMO, raw eggs should be only rarely eaten.
Yah I actually know this unfortunately I am very limited on paleo animal sources atm.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk