Author Topic: raw goats milk/ cheese okay ?  (Read 14824 times)

Offline rawfooderess

• Forager
    • View Profile
Re: raw goats milk/ cheese okay ?
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2012, 03:15:11 am »
I find that I don't feel that good the morning after eating raw dairy and I feel worse with regular dairy.

First off, Organic Valley boils the raw milk only a few degrees under what is considered pasteurized. They also boil it   a number of degrees above what is actually considered really raw cheese.

It is not really raw and they are calling their raw cheese raw. Most companies even if they are small are not as raw as they claim.

I do occasionally eat a small amount of raw goat cheese from Spain called, "Manchengo."
I am not totally sure about how raw it is but I eat it occasionally and it is o.k if you don't over-do it.

I do think that raw meats are healthier if they are grass fed and organic.

I do enjoy raw fish ..raw eggs if they are free range and so on.

Beware when people claim that their raw cheese is actually really raw. Do a bit of research on the company  etc...

Good blog.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 11:34:30 pm by cherimoya_kid »

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2013, 03:00:12 pm »
Generally, if it's a soft cheese with a rind (like Tomme de Savoie, for instance), or if it's a blue cheese, then the cheese was not cooked during the cheesemaking.  As to whether the milk was pasteurized, like you said, sometimes the cheese producer heats the milk to a point of not being raw, while still claiming the milk is raw.

Some harder cheeses are not cooked during the cheesemaking, but most are.  Generally I avoid hard cheeses, though, because they don't undergo as much continuous fermentation after the cheese is made, and are, IMHO, nutritionally inferior.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2013, 08:34:43 am »
I do occasionally eat a small amount of raw goat cheese from Spain called, "Manchengo."
I am not totally sure about how raw it is but I eat it occasionally and it is o.k if you don't over-do it.
If you're buying it at a market and it doesn't say "raw" on the label, then it likely isn't, because they would definitely label it if it were (as people will pay more for raw than pasteurized). You could also ask to confirm. The head cheese people at my market are quite knowledgeable and able to answer all sorts of questions (they know things like that quince paste is traditionally served with tangy hard Spanish sheep cheeses like these)--maybe you'll be lucky and find a knowledgeable person there too.

Manchego is my 2nd favorite cheese after Zamorano. My local market has hundreds of cheeses, including many raw cheeses and little samples, and I've probably tried more than a couple dozen kinds. I digest raw Zamorano and Manchego so much better than any other cheese and they also taste so much better to me than others that if I couldn't get these cheeses I doubt I'd bother with cheese at all, except maybe the finest raw goat cheese. Because they're sheep cheeses they luckily also contain more nutrition than cow or goat cheeses, as sheep milk contains much more nutrients than cow or goat milk. Sheep milk is also reportedly more digestible, which matches my experience. Unfortunately, sheep cheese is also uber expensive.

http://curehappiness.com/2011/05/the-cheese-guide-1-cow-vs-goat-vs-sheep/

http://www.sasheepdairy.co.za/index.php/benefits-of-sheep-s-milk

http://www.livestrong.com/article/377398-nutrition-information-for-sheep-cheese/#ixzz1tqwMDnyu
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk