Author Topic: Would you recommend rice instead of bread ? (as a compromise)  (Read 7488 times)

Offline majormark

• Chief
    • View Profile

Recently I talked to a friend who said he just found he has really high blood pressure. When I asked he told me he eats a lot of white bread with meals.

Now, my first reaction was to recommend cutting out grains completely but I knew it was not going to happen like that, so I recommended soaking white rice for a day and than eat it cooked instead of the bread. I had to do a lot of convincing even for that.

I also told him to drink some raw eggs instead of the breakfast (which usually involved coffee & some cooked food) and he surprisingly accepted. I thought if at least one meal would be closer to paleo, it would be better than nothing.

What would you recommend to someone on a standard diet for this? Knowing he will not eat raw meat.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Would you recommend rice instead of bread ? (as a compromise)
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 05:12:36 am »
Yeah, rice instead of bread sounds fine.

Also, obviously cooking as little as possible(eg:- searing on the side?). And he shouldn't have too much objection, surely, to increasing the quality of the meats re grassfed sources.

Also, look into other sources of raw animal foods people do usually accept such as steak tartare in restaurants, sushi/sashimi restaurants, raw oysters from oyster bars etc.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 05:16:15 am »
Brown rice would be even better. Or even better would be something like quinoa or amarinth. Or mixing together rice with wild rice, which is not a grain itself. You can get that mix in a box.

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 07:43:31 am »
Brown rice would be even better. Or even better would be something like quinoa or amarinth. Or mixing together rice with wild rice, which is not a grain itself. You can get that mix in a box.
I second the Quinoa. It's a great grain and one of the less tampered with on the market. It's also getting more trendy so should be easier to find it in a store than a couple years ago.
FWIW we've come to the conclusion that my wife is allergic to rice (as well as many other common carbs-wheat & other gluten grains, corn). She's had a hard time with cravings for a while and only recently tried Quinoa as a rice substitute in chicken-rice soup. She loves the stuff now and prefers it to the real stuff. :)
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 08:14:30 am »
Soaking doesn't really do much for rice, especially since you end up boiling it anyway

Quinoa is ok yeah, I'd recommend him millet. It's actually not a grain but seeds and they taste and feel exactly like grain and they are supposedly alkaline and stuff.
Take everyones advice with a grain of salt. Try things out for your self and then make up your mind.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 10:00:58 am »
I compromise and let my children have rice.
But bread is absolutely banned in our household.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 10:13:08 am »
I had a stint consciously eating grains fairly recently in warrior style.

the 'seed' grains like quinoia or amaranth are supposedly the more healthful, but like many seeds don't seem to digest as well an often appear whole on the other end.

I think millet would probably be my first choice, although I think it has a really abysmal taste and dryness when eaten alone.

I think if he/she is coming from a standard diet, brown rice I'm sure is fine as a transitional food or part of generally healthy diet. Corn is another fairly traditional food, is non-gluten etc...

Offline cliff

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 09:39:42 pm »
Soaking doesn't really do much for rice, especially since you end up boiling it anyway

Soaking it for a day or two will give the rice a chance to ferment a little bit making it easier on digestion and more nutritous

William

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 11:30:19 pm »
If he must eat carbs, then yes, rice is better than bread.

But carbs->hypertension, and he is digging his grave with a fork.

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
  • country chickens and lambs and wild bugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 01:03:32 pm »
i don't eat rice anymore. but i'm just curious to know about fermented rice. i see people eat delicious fermented rice in back home. if i really want to eat rice, can i eat fermented rice some times?
bugs or country chickens

Offline Roselene

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
    • I like We Want 2 Live.
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 01:34:26 pm »
i don't eat rice anymore. but i'm just curious to know about fermented rice. i see people eat delicious fermented rice in back home. if i really want to eat rice, can i eat fermented rice some times?

How much to eat at a time?  How does it taste?  Sour or sweet?  Or is it just moldy?  It might depend on what you eat near it, so it wouldn't throw off your digestion.

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 02:13:28 am »
How much to eat at a time?  How does it taste?  Sour or sweet?  Or is it just moldy?  It might depend on what you eat near it, so it wouldn't throw off your digestion.
there're two different types of fermented rice. one tastes like  sour, but definitely not moldy. it's served  on raw banana leaf. the other one is sprouted and than fermented and that tastes sweet, also not moldy.
bugs or country chickens

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010, 02:15:03 am »
I would recommend potatoes. I do better on cooked tubers than cooked grains for some reason. Sweet potatoes would be a good recommendation.

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2010, 02:19:15 am »
I would recommend potatoes. I do better on cooked tubers than cooked grains for some reason. Sweet potatoes would be a good recommendation.
my mom always feels good eating sweet potato. the sweet potato here is totally different from sweet potato in asia.
bugs or country chickens

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk