Author Topic: which fish  (Read 5718 times)

Offline nicole

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
which fish
« on: April 07, 2010, 04:01:56 am »
Which one of these fish do you think is the most nutritious:
Red Snapper, Cod, Dover Sole.
Right now I can get any of the 3 non-farmed and never frozen for a affordable price. I am waiting for the salmon to be in season for fresh.
Thank you.
Give it to us raw, and wriggling. You keep nasty chips.

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: which fish
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 04:25:59 am »
Personally I'd choose cod.
Take everyones advice with a grain of salt. Try things out for your self and then make up your mind.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 04:35:06 pm »
Salmon is almost always farmed, nowadays. Unless you're sure it's wildcaught, avoid it. As for the 3 above fish, I've tried them(except dover sole which I've only tried in cooked form pre-RPD diet) and didn't personally like the taste, though everyone is different. I go for things like raw mackerel, raw swordfish, raw sardines, raw sprats etc.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 08:16:51 pm »
Salmon is almost always farmed, nowadays. Unless you're sure it's wildcaught, avoid it. As for the 3 above fish, I've tried them(except dover sole which I've only tried in cooked form pre-RPD diet) and didn't personally like the taste, though everyone is different. I go for things like raw mackerel, raw swordfish, raw sardines, raw sprats etc.

I've seen how salmon is farmed and what they eat, but I'm curious what you believe is the downside of farmed fish?
Take everyones advice with a grain of salt. Try things out for your self and then make up your mind.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 01:18:17 am »
I've seen how salmon is farmed and what they eat, but I'm curious what you believe is the downside of farmed fish?

What have you seen them eat?  I read that farmed salmon are deficient in Vitamin D.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 01:43:30 am »
    What have you seen them eat?  I read that farmed salmon are deficient in Vitamin D.

They just give them some brown pellets. Definitely very cheap and crappy feed.

I'm more curious about parasites or disease because they are all crammed up together.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 05:17:21 am »
  Well, I'm primarily concerned with the lack of nutrients within farmed fish, but also there are various preservatives/chemicals added to nonorganic fish. For example, farmed salmon contains the chemical canthaxanthin which is used as a food-dye to make the salmon flesh look  a vibrant pink like wild salmon flesh instead of the greay flesh of standard farmed salmon. Canthaxanthin has been linked to cancer etc.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline nicole

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 11:15:25 am »
Do they lie about salmon being farmed? I would be buying it from a fish store and not the supermarket. Is halibut particularily nutritious? I find it quite tasty, even though it is expensive.

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 11:24:12 am »
I doubt local fish markets or even chains like WF lie about salmon being farmed or not, as for the latter I find they are really good about labeling whether something is farmed or frozen.

I would only be suspicious of local shops if they were selling salmon out of season at low prices as wild or as mentioned depending on how it looked.

Personally I have to agree that fishes like cod, haddock etc, while nutritious, are pretty horrid to eat as a main food source. They work for me in a pinch and I guess if one was using some kind of sauce or honey it wouldn't be as bad, as the texture is interesting enough. These are just my opinions.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 12:40:53 pm »

same difference between grass fed beef and grain fed beef.
Or backyard grown chicken and factory chickens.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010, 04:26:50 pm »
Do they lie about salmon being farmed? I would be buying it from a fish store and not the supermarket. Is halibut particularily nutritious? I find it quite tasty, even though it is expensive.
  I've been lied to. When I first started the rawpalaeodiet I was very naive and would go to fishmongers and they would sometimes assure me that the farmed salmon was wild, when I asked if it was. But they don't lie about the price. The price of genuine wild salmon in the UK is far higher than the price of farmed salmon , something like 18 pounds per kilo at least.
" Ron Paul.

Offline nicole

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2010, 12:55:45 pm »
Okay, thank you for your replies. Yes, wild salmon was priced at 19.99 per pound, so i did  not get any. I am not planning to make fish my main staple because it is not quite filling enough as meat. I am simply using it for a pinch because I can get it quick and easy. I have to travel 1 hour total to get my other meat so I can only go one day a week or maybe two because i am very busy working.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk