Author Topic: How can you tell if the meat has been frozen?  (Read 2846 times)

Offline majormark

• Chief
    • View Profile
How can you tell if the meat has been frozen?
« on: April 10, 2010, 09:34:33 pm »

How can you tell if the meat has been frozen before? Is there a specific color/taste/texture?

I see these packed meat labels in supermarket with production date and expiration date, but I'm not sure if production date actually means the date when the animal was slaughtered.

I also don't know how they store it. If production date is two days ago, it may have been frozen overnight.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: How can you tell if the meat has been frozen?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 03:09:04 am »
RPDers generally notice a distinct lack of taste in prefrozen meats, by comparison to unfrozen fresh raw meats. It is because the cell-walls of the meat get broken during the freezing process(due to ice-crystals forming) so that nutrients get lost.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline gep

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 03:21:39 am »
You can do a little experiment; buy fresh meat, than freeze one part of it, and compare the two pieces the next day ;)

Offline majormark

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 05:01:54 am »
Yes, I know the lack of taste is obvious.

I'd actually like to figure it out before I buy it.

Looks like if to meat has been frozen, it's more obvious if it's wrapped in plastic like described here:
http://www.monkeysee.com/play/7761-how-to-tell-if-your-frozen-foods-have-gone-bad

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk