Author Topic: Meat-when does it actually go bad  (Read 11459 times)

Offline nicole

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
Meat-when does it actually go bad
« on: April 20, 2010, 11:09:52 am »
So I know about high meat and that meat can be left out for long periods of time.
Does meat actually ever "go bad" or become unhealthful and how?
Will it go bad if packaged incorrectly?
How can I tell if is actually bad? :P
Give it to us raw, and wriggling. You keep nasty chips.

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Meat-when does it actually go bad
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 11:20:18 am »
i think if you have your meat in packaging (plastic or vacuum sealed) for too long (couple of days?) that it can (start to) go bad.  i did this once by accident for a couple days and it just didn't smell/taste right. it didn't look right either... had a separated kind of look.

i've not tried high meat yet, but if not aired properly i think i've read others' posts that it goes bad

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 12:42:59 pm »
i think if you have your meat in packaging (plastic or vacuum sealed) for too long (couple of days?) that it can (start to) go bad.  i did this once by accident for a couple days and it just didn't smell/taste right. it didn't look right either... had a separated kind of look.

i've not tried high meat yet, but if not aired properly i think i've read others' posts that it goes bad
Ionna you are correct. Its actually when anaerobic (air hating) bacteria start to infest the meat. Anaerobic bacteria are dangerous to us however aerobic (air loving) bacteria are good for us.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline Ouchburns

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 01:16:24 am »
All my beed is Vac packed when I order it, I get a weeks worth of beef at a time. When I get to the last steaks, after 7 days of them being packaged they are just fine. I have even eaten some several weeks old.

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 03:12:02 am »
Keep the air flowing around the meat and it will be edible for atleast the next 3-6 months as far as my knowledge goes.

Take everyones advice with a grain of salt. Try things out for your self and then make up your mind.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 06:05:04 am »
All my beed is Vac packed when I order it, I get a weeks worth of beef at a time. When I get to the last steaks, after 7 days of them being packaged they are just fine. I have even eaten some several weeks old.

Well, if it is vac-packed well, it can stay fresh for months. But if meat is not completely fresh, or not competently vac-packed, then the best way is to keep the air flowing around it.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline nicole

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 11:46:34 am »

Okay, If I keep it in a glass jar at room temperature, with room for air, will this keep it fresh and nutritous for up to a week?

Offline reyyzl

• Bear Hunter
  • Raw Chicken Schwarma
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 12:33:04 pm »
    @nicole.  open it two times per day, maybe three.
"A genuine RPDer should always live by the coast." -TylerDurden Global Moderator Mammoth Hunter

Too often we get caught up trying to get to the end. What is most important however is to discover the beginning. We don’t solve problems or start to heal unless we can be willing, be kind, laugh a little and commit to seeking until we find. If we can, we’ll get started. I’ll meet you at the beginning!
“Reflections on My Travels…India” by Michael J Tamura ~ pg. 57

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 04:51:10 pm »
Beware of the flies. I've kept my containers sealed outside the fridge, but the flies can still smell the raw meat and lay their eggs around the lid and even on the underside of the lid next to the edge. The result is that eggs fall into the raw meat very easily and then you're faced with the prospect of eating live maggots along with the high-meat.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline nicole

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 09:13:57 am »
Maggots!Yikes thats gross. Maybe it will work if I then wrap the glass jar in a plastic bag. The problem is that I need to be discreet and I do not have much room in my refer that I can put it in all in glass jars. I will probably only have it out for 2 days tops.  If I were to have some of the meat wrapped in wax paper and placed in the refer would it work? If I were to open it up 2-3 times per day.
I wish I had time to purchase it daily but I can only go 2 times per week.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2010, 09:15:54 am »
That does sound gross, but I bet it's nutritious and safe to eat maggots.

Offline nicole

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2010, 11:48:23 am »
Nutritious, do you think? Don't flies like to eat unnutritious things and worse?
I have found a way to fit my meat in the refer fortunately.
Thank you to everyone who has answered my questions. I have been researching ferverishly so my inquisitiveness should dwindle soon.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2010, 04:44:46 pm »
Maggots!Yikes thats gross. Maybe it will work if I then wrap the glass jar in a plastic bag. The problem is that I need to be discreet and I do not have much room in my refer that I can put it in all in glass jars. I will probably only have it out for 2 days tops.  If I were to have some of the meat wrapped in wax paper and placed in the refer would it work? If I were to open it up 2-3 times per day.
I wish I had time to purchase it daily but I can only go 2 times per week.
  High-meat, even if left outside the fridge needs more than 2 days to ripen, I think. Unless it's extremely hot outside.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2010, 07:41:00 pm »
Refergerators are awsome.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk