Author Topic: Calories & Carbs  (Read 4994 times)

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
  • "...embrace your fear..."
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
Calories & Carbs
« on: May 04, 2010, 09:50:48 pm »
OK...I must have some fundamental mis-understanding about physiology & metabolism.

Why is it when bodybuilders cut, they eat lots of rice?

I assumed - to oversimplify - that the protein would maintain muscle mass and a LACK of carbs would force the body to cut (by eating excess fat). But I am told that the carbs give the body energy to use (instead of using the protein) which also allows the body to also burn fat for fuel. They tell me that lacking carbs, the body will simply use the protein as fuel, and then by-pass the fat stores and burn muscle mass.

So....can someone explain this to me?
-
--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab
http://www.skinnydevil.com

William

Re: Calories & Carbs
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 12:50:55 am »
lacking carbs, the body will simply use the protein as fuel, and then by-pass the fat stores and burn muscle mass.

So....can someone explain this to me?

If a person eats carbs as often as once per week, the body does not adapt to fat burning, so it might use protein for neoglucogenesis to make sugar to burn as fuel in the absence of carbs..

It takes some time for the body to adapt to using fat as fuel, usually at least three weeks depending on age and unknowns, then the body uses fat for fuel if you don't eat too much meat. In proportion. This is not simple.

carnivore

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 01:03:33 am »
If a person eats carbs as often as once per week, the body does not adapt to fat burning, so it might use protein for neoglucogenesis to make sugar to burn as fuel in the absence of carbs..

It takes some time for the body to adapt to using fat as fuel, usually at least three weeks depending on age and unknowns, then the body uses fat for fuel if you don't eat too much meat. In proportion. This is not simple.

The body always burn fat and sugar for energy purpose. Even if you don't eat carbs, your body will still burn glucose made from glycerol or protein because he absolutely needs glucose to live. So for me, there are no such thing as "fat burning" or "carb burning" modes.

William

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 02:18:10 am »
The body always burn fat and sugar for energy purpose. Even if you don't eat carbs, your body will still burn glucose made from glycerol or protein because he absolutely needs glucose to live. So for me, there are no such thing as "fat burning" or "carb burning" modes.

There has been extensive discussion of the ketogenic diet; you might benefit from reading it.

Offline Paleo Donk

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 04:26:14 am »
OK...I must have some fundamental mis-understanding about physiology & metabolism.

Why is it when bodybuilders cut, they eat lots of rice?

I'm not sure where you got this but I haven't heard of many bodybuilders that use rice to cut. Many do way too high protein moderate fat, moderate carb and overall less calories.

Offline invisible

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 11:14:49 am »
Most cut with a targeted ketogenic diet. Eating carbs directly before and after their training and no carbs in their other meals.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk