Author Topic: hookworms  (Read 16572 times)

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
Re: hookworms
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2010, 11:20:04 pm »
I think you answered your own question, RawZi. It doesn't sound like he'll want to do the helminthic therapy. Why not present both options and see if he will try either. You could also try gradually reducing the time you cook foods for him. If I were the parent, I don't think I would force either on my child because that might just increase his resistance to it, though it is a tough call. Plus, other people would see both as strange and if they learned that I was forcing either on my child I think they might consider it child abuse or some such nonsense. You're the parent, though, so it's your call.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2010, 08:45:29 pm »
    Thank you, Phil.  I'll do that, I'll present both.  I never force him to do anything, if I can help it.  Forcing doesn't usually work with anyone, but this one certainly likes to make his own path.  Oh, he's raw too.  Example, yesterdays meals: Breakfast raw raspberry homemade kefir smoothie.  Lunch raw apples and unpasteurized butter.  Dinner raw cucumbers, tomatoes, sea "beans", lettuce, Bragg's ACV, unheated honey.  He won't eat anything cooked.  I do cook though.  I made a cooked vegetable soup last night with grain and legumes too, not for us two though.  We're the raw ones. 

He is considering trying (raw) salmon now though.  He's never had salmon.  My husband wants to take him to a sushi restaurant for it.  We'll see.  I'm thinking he'll prefer I prepare it at home, or they fillet for us at WF and we eat in the booths up front.  They have WiFi there too.     
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline Angeline

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2010, 02:27:46 pm »
I have no experience with hookworms, but do have experience healing gut problems. My family has had excellent results with the GAPS or SCD approach to healing the gut. It's the theory behind these approaches that have been very helpful. I eat lots of cultured vegetables, the meat raw and avoid the fruit and honey. It brought very fast results.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2011, 06:18:18 am »
http://animal.discovery.com/tv/monsters-inside-me/
This show is supposed to scare you about hookworms by calling them "monsters" and giving warnings about how they can cause anemia and heart failure, but, ironically, one of their warnings is actually good evidence that hookworms aren't so dangerous. Near the end of this clip, the scare mongerer mentions that hookworm infects about 1.5 billion people. Clearly all those people aren't dying or seriously ill as a result or we would have heard something about it. That many people suffering severe illness would not go unnoticed. With so many people having hookworms without serious negative effects, it suggests that they aren't that bad after all.

I'll bet Jasper doesn't consider hookworms to be lethal monsters.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk