Author Topic: Raw Cartilage/Collagen  (Read 6240 times)

Offline MrBBQ

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Raw Cartilage/Collagen
« on: May 14, 2010, 02:10:46 am »
Hey all,

Does anyone here eat raw cartilage and if so, how do you make it edible?

I've been experimenting with cooked bone broths, although the old headache/migraine effect of excitotoxicity from free glutamic acid always kicks in after a few doses in a day, which could be down to allsorts like low thyroid, excess PUFAs etc. (I read on http://blog.plantpoisonsandrottenstuff.com that healing the thyroid can resolve amine/glutamate sensitivity) Most people aren't sensitive to that little free glutamates, but it seems I am for some reason - plus I'm anti-cooking, of course.

So in hoping to make some progress with tooth healing (my teeth do strengthen on bone broth - more so than raw bone meal), I've asked my local farm to save me the spine from a beef carcass, but I don't know how I could consume the cartilage (from the discs) without extensive cooking.

It's ironic that most people tout bone broth/gelatine as a "sacred food" and yet it seems to screw with my neurons! Bloody ridiculous...

Also, does anyone have any ideas about the toughest cuts of meat, like neck, brisket, chuck etc.?

Thanks for your help.

Very best,

Scotty
When hungry eat, when tired sleep - this is the essence of Zen...

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
Re: Raw Cartilage/Collagen
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 05:34:43 am »
whenever i bring home a raw chicken carcass, i always eat the cartilage found near the tailbone of the chicken. it's actually really soft and easy to chew (almost like the same mouth feel of eating a bell pepper - it kind of crunches in your mouth). sometimes the cuts of goat i get also have a cartilaginous section that i eat. 

Offline Hans89

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 07:12:39 pm »
Sometimes I get a lamb's head, in the nose area there is some cartilage that I eat, just cutting, chewing a bit and swallowing.

Offline vander230

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 09:00:13 pm »
I've just been reading through tons of info here, and was wondering if anyone has ever tried 100% collagen capsules? I am searching for the general result of it.

collagen

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 12:09:31 am »
It's important not to be vitamin-C-deficient, because ascorbic acid is crucial in metabolizing the collagen.
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline Sitting Coyote

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 01:04:29 am »
I eat a lot of ligaments and tendons, I just cut them into pieces small enough to swallow without chewing and down them.  I'd do the same with cartilage.  Everything seems to digest just fine.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk