Author Topic: Calming foods?  (Read 9348 times)

Offline sven

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
Calming foods?
« on: May 18, 2010, 10:22:15 am »
Are there any ZC/VLC foods that you guys eat that seems to calm you down?   to put you in a less 'wired' state of mind/less energetic?

When I try VLC I have lots of energy and feel wired most of the time, sometimes this can be a problem... say come night time when I want to sleep but can't because of too much energy.  Or sometimes I want to be in a relaxed state of mind/body when hanging out with the lady watching a movie or other situations that demand a calm state of body/mind.

When I have this problem I purposely eat processed crap with carbohydrates because I know it will slow me down.(makes me tired , lethargic, and calm).  As much as I hate doing this, it is the only solution I have right now.  Any recommendations?

Offline Paleo Donk

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: Calming foods?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 10:52:41 am »
Just wait a few months or years and your adrenals and thyroid will be nice and fucked on ZC. The processed crap is probably saving you for now. ;) Only 62 percent kidding.

I had ridiculous energy my first few months of VLC which faded and others have also reported this. I'm thinking there could be a connection between feeling really good (too good to be true) on VLC in the beginning and there being an underlying metabolic problem that will eventually surface. Basically Im guessing VLC can act like a drug for some people early on by over-stimulating glandular function which eventually wears them out and leads to poor health again. I have a feeling that the make-up of the diet is not the problem, its some malfunction in the organism.

Instead of eating processed crap, why not try raw fruits and veggies or potatoes or nuts or what not instead of jumping to the garbage?

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 11:46:38 am »
paleo donk, for some reason i mistakingly though you were a zc person.. i'll have to check in to your journal and see what you're up to.

as for calming foods.. maybe more fat?... idk, eating is so stimulating for me too, so i just take care not to eat beyond late afternoon/early evening.  i'm usually up to something in the evenings with friends or workout so that i'm pretty spent by the time i get home.  i sleep very soundly and wake so refreshed. 

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 01:48:12 pm »
Try raw NOT soaked walnuts. I know they're harder on digestion but this is why they slow you down.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline sven

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 04:16:23 pm »
Thanks for the replies, I'll try these things and report results.  And I don't think I have metabolic problem as I've been Low carb to very low carb for a few years.  I may have made it sound like I was overstimulated but I am not I feel good when I'm energetic.  It's just hard to relax sometimes having so much energy. 

Offline Hans89

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 04:56:59 pm »
How about non-dietary approaches like meditation, qigong, yoga...

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 05:16:06 pm »
Well, you could try raw dairy as it commonly sedates people re the opioid hormones. But it's a lot safer to try mediation /further exercise etc.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline majormark

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 05:24:01 pm »
Calming foods?

Raw eggs, raw butter works for me. Sometimes I feel like they work too well...

Offline sven

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 05:53:00 pm »
Well, you could try raw dairy as it commonly sedates people re the opioid hormones. But it's a lot safer to try mediation /further exercise etc.

Raw Milk definitely works Tyler, however the effect is a little too powerful.  I usually fall asleep immediately following, sleep too much, then wake up feeling like I've taken a handful of sleep drugs.  

opposite affect with raw butter however, still feel energetic after eating this. 

I've researched a little online a saw that celery juice was a nerve tonic, anyone tried this?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 05:58:54 pm by sven »

Offline sven

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 05:57:43 pm »

Instead of eating processed crap, why not try raw fruits and veggies or potatoes or nuts or what not instead of jumping to the garbage?

Fruits/vegetables don't seem to do the trick.  Potatoes I will have to try, cooked right?lol.  Currently in the process of trying walnuts. 

Does anyone else have similar problems with energy? 

I have honestly never made an attempt to try meditation, which I might inevitably have to practice.  I was just curious if anyone used certain foods as natural relaxers.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 06:18:42 pm »
Well, I got a boost in energy-levels, feeling generally too wired shortly after going raw(omnivorous) palaeo and my solution was simple:- either always stay up till 1-3am every night  and then sleep till 6.30-7am. or I would do strenuous exercise(weight-lifting etc.) at the local gym.  I still do the former a lot and less of the latter than I should, I suppose. I don't need as much sleep as SAD-eaters do, and , provided that I sleep facing an open window with lots of (sun)light pouring in at the crack of dawn, I wake up quite early without needing an alarm-clock.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline chucky

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 01:11:15 pm »
Have you tried dates ? Plenty of tryptophan and natural glycose and when combining dates with some protein might make you less anxious. http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/nrc/cjpp/2007/00000085/00000009/art00014

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 10:38:43 am »
I forgot to mention that fruitarians eat passion fruit when they can't fall asleep.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline tammy123

• Forager
    • View Profile
    • raw food diet
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2010, 07:12:33 pm »
Try raw NOT soaked walnuts. I know they're harder on digestion but this is why they slow you down.

You actually suggested the better stuff that will be helpful for us as there are many stuffs that are good to calm you out like Kiwi fruit, oats etc which are good source for calming you out.

Thanks

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2010, 09:23:38 am »
I find dark leafy greens like spinach, kale, and seaweeds to be calming.

Also, scallops are very calming.

Avocadoes are very calming, to the point of making you have no energy (if you eat too many in one day).

Magnesium and calcium and sea salt are all calming.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2010, 09:31:39 am »
there are many stuffs that are good to calm you out like Kiwi fruit, oats etc which are good source for calming you out.

Passion fruits will drop your blood pressure.  I used to love those, don't know why.  My pressure was already low.  Maybe I needed it so super-low.

Oat-straw is good among herbalists.

I find raw white meat and raw grass-fed butter really nice and calming.  Bovine marrow is good too, and ovaries.  I only tried them a couple of times, but most foods stimulate me, and those didn't, they felt alright.  I wish I had a more convenient source of marrow (and back-fat). Any raw grass-fed or wild saturated fat is pretty good for calming.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline sven

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2010, 04:46:21 pm »
Thanks to all for the replies.  I've come up with a list of what has worked FOR ME.  If you would like to add to the list please do so we'd all love to hear..

couldn't not get a hold of:passion fruit, seaweeds, dates, and kiwi

All foods listed are raw... of course

Energy Boosters
Beef
oysters
Liver
Kidney
Apples
Grapes
Celery/spinach juice
High meat(from beef chuck)-no surprise here

Neutral foods
Butter
Honey
Eggs
Shrimp
Fish
Pork

Calming Foods
Chicken- or any white meat
Walnuts
Avocado
Suet, chopped up in food processor
Tea- of course why didn't I think of this before!

any other suggestions appreciated :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk