Author Topic: Some questions  (Read 4275 times)

Offline pioneer

• Chief
    • View Profile
Some questions
« on: May 20, 2010, 04:27:45 am »
is dehydrating your meat bad and is heating fat or rendering fat bad? I want to make pemmican but dont want to lose nutrients or add any toxins. Thanks
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

"There is a lot of pressure to be sexualized but not to actually be sexual."
- women's health member

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Some questions
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 07:04:23 pm »
Rendering is a bad idea as is any form of heating above 40 degrees Celsius. Some people do get nasty reactions to dehydrated meats though most do fine as long as it's not dehdrated above 40 degrees celsius.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 12:12:16 pm »
is dehydrating your meat bad and is heating fat or rendering fat bad?

All extremely horrible for me, but some people seem to be fine on occasion.

Offline Curator

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 09:03:14 am »
usually to dehydrate meat safely  the meat must be cured, otherwise the chance for bacterial incursion is high!!!  i believe using chemical cooking though would still fall within raw paleo guidelines? (like using lime juice, or orange juice, or some other kinda acid and a small amount of sea salt?") then heres something, im not sure if anyone on here knows about, meat actually dries faster, and keeps more of its flavor if dehydrated with COLD air, plus since cold reduces bacterial growth, it makes it far more likely your meat will be safe than dehydrating at higher temps, that aren't high enough to cook the meat... its the only form of "raw" beef I can stand... search google for "alton brown dehydrator" and you should be able to find some helpful stuff, I know there is some stuff on youtube showing him making jerky... I hope this was helpful ^_^
"We think much less than what we know, We know much less than what we love, We love much less than what there is, And to this precise extent, we are much less than what we are."-R.D. Laing

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 09:26:03 am »
usually to dehydrate meat safely  the meat must be cured, otherwise the chance for bacterial incursion is high!!!  i believe using chemical cooking though would still fall within raw paleo guidelines? (like using lime juice, or orange juice, or some other kinda acid and a small amount of sea salt?") then heres something, im not sure if anyone on here knows about, meat actually dries faster, and keeps more of its flavor if dehydrated with COLD air, plus since cold reduces bacterial growth, it makes it far more likely your meat will be safe than dehydrating at higher temps, that aren't high enough to cook the meat... its the only form of "raw" beef I can stand... search google for "alton brown dehydrator" and you should be able to find some helpful stuff, I know there is some stuff on youtube showing him making jerky... I hope this was helpful ^_^
http://www.rawpaleoforum.com/display-your-culinary-creations/high-meat-recipe-preparation-for-more-advanced-rafers/
Most of us are past the fears of bacteria here. The longer you hang out the less you'll worry about them as well. ;)
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 05:13:30 pm »
lol, im not, I almost died from an undercooked rib eye, so I shall remain a bit afraid of bacteria,lol.
One of the issues mentioned re food-poisoning is that it is undercooked or cooked foods stored for very long periods that cause the worst issues not fully raw foods. In other words bacteria in cooked foods are deadly but not bacteria in raw foods, as such. Obviously, there are very occasional exceptions such as if an older person is already seriously diabetic from a previous SAD diet who might get reactions but that's about it. Whatever the case, even though I occasionally eat cooked foods for social reasons, I avoid aged cooked game(eg:- aged guinea-fowl) like the plague, despite eating it pre-RPD diets.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 05:25:12 pm by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 06:32:13 pm »
It's all a bit complicated. Everyone gets different reactions to such things. Perhaps it was a genetic tendency on your part or some particular unhealthy foods you ate pre-RPD diet which made you more susceptible to certain types of bacteria etc. But, overall, the idea is that the bacteria become more toxic after exposure to the toxins in cooked foods - obviously, well-cooked meats eaten immediately afterwards are much less likely to be a problem re bacteria as the bacteria will have been more or less completely  wiped out by the cooking process.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Curator

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 07:32:22 pm »
Deleted my replies as I realized we where starting to hijack his thread,lol.
"We think much less than what we know, We know much less than what we love, We love much less than what there is, And to this precise extent, we are much less than what we are."-R.D. Laing

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk