Author Topic: Run Barefoot. Its the paleo thing to do.  (Read 8006 times)

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Run Barefoot. Its the paleo thing to do.
« on: May 30, 2010, 01:02:01 pm »
In spite of being raw paleo I still suffered from one thing...inner leg pains whenever I ran. I got to the point where it hurt to just walk. I spent hundreds of dollars going to the doctor to get rid of the pain which worked but was temporary. Finally I heard of barefoot walking maybe 2 weeks ago. Ive only been running barefoot for a week ish and have run several miles with no leg pain. Just for any other athletes out there with leg pains you should definately give it a go. Definately how are ancestors ran.

P.S. Read up on proper form before actually running barefoot.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 01:15:43 pm by kurite »
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline Roselene

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
    • I like We Want 2 Live.
Re: Run Barefoot. Its the paleo thing to do.
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 01:25:30 pm »
Are you running on grass, cement, sand, earth, a boardwalk, river rocks, what?

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 01:42:12 pm »
Mostly cement, some people like to start on grass but eventually move onto harder surfaces.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline Chester

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 04:13:00 pm »
 I'm not here to say that barefoot running isn't a natural and probably a better way to run and walk, but I am here to say that please be careful to condition your feet and legs to go barefoot. I attempted to get  a costumed to barefoot running about five years ago by taking it easy on my feet by first just walking for about 3 months before I attempted to run barefoot. Even though I tried taking it easy I feel that I did damage to my left foot. I still believe that going barefoot is the way to go but reading that your already running with out doing much to first strengthen your feet has me worried. Still after five years since I hurt myself I still have problems with the arch on my left foot and it is not fun to say the least.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 07:21:33 pm »
I was running barefoot later on the same day when I started walking so... You've just got to recognise when you've done enough. I never really ran on grass, because you can't see what's on it. Smooth cement is brilliant to run on. Hey Kurite, just one thing: There is a point on your big toes where the soft skin under the nail meets the hard skin. Make sure that either your big toenails are long enough to cover this join, or that you put some micro-pore tape over the front(or something). Since I do Judo which require short toenails, I have to use the tape. Before I did that, I did twice scrape my big toes. However, I only did this when I was feeling self-concious, as with most accidents
-_- Also, careful your toenails are not sharp on the insides, as you might possibly scrape the inside of your ankle. I did with once, again when I was feeling self-concious =/ These were both minor occurrences anyway so it doesn't really matter..
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 07:29:26 pm by miles »
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 08:11:26 pm »
I'm not here to say that barefoot running isn't a natural and probably a better way to run and walk, but I am here to say that please be careful to condition your feet and legs to go barefoot. I attempted to get  a costumed to barefoot running about five years ago by taking it easy on my feet by first just walking for about 3 months before I attempted to run barefoot. Even though I tried taking it easy I feel that I did damage to my left foot. I still believe that going barefoot is the way to go but reading that your already running with out doing much to first strengthen your feet has me worried. Still after five years since I hurt myself I still have problems with the arch on my left foot and it is not fun to say the least.
Thank you for the concern. When you were doing it were you making sure you had proper form? If you were heel striking than your asking for problems. Also I regularly train for tennis and already have many of the muscles somewhat developed so I had a head start.

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
  • "...embrace your fear..."
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 01:03:12 am »
I'm all about barefoot. I wear minimal footwear (usually super-thin flip-flops) when out, barefoot always at home (when hanging out, working out, doing yard-work, etc.), and the like. Played tennis the other day barefoot. Yeah!

Barefoot is the way to go.

-
--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab
http://www.skinnydevil.com

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 01:38:44 am »
I'm all for barefoot.  If I run in typical 'running shoes' my knees are screaming at me and shin splints are not fun.  Barefoot, it's just a great run!  I wish I lived close enough to run on the beach.. how fun!   

I am out walking with my dog often, with 'trail running' type shoes...  :(  I'm not sure what else to wear though because there could be broken glass, etc. I can feel the difference though.. it's huge..  just feels wrong.

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
  • "...embrace your fear..."
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2010, 02:14:54 am »
Ioanna - try some super-thin flip-flops. If those don't feel good, you might try some of the old-style rock climbing shoes or wrestling shoes or even those "anti shoes". There are also the Japanese tabi shoes that are very minimalistic.
-
--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab
http://www.skinnydevil.com

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2010, 02:22:19 am »
i'll look into that.. thanks SD!

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2010, 04:10:07 am »
I walk and run bare foot as much as I can, that’s to say as soon as it’s not too cold, whatever the surface is. But I prefer to run on grass, since it’s softer and thus not so constraining for the knees. I don’t care much for broken glass and stones, since when you’re used to it your feet’s underneath skin become thick and strong. Of course, I do have sometimes to remove a thorn, but usually it’s no big fuss. I also drive bare foot in summer, there’s less inert mass hampering you to go quickly from the accelerator to the brake pedal.  ;)
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2010, 05:39:40 am »
Yeah Ioanna, glass isn't really a worry once your feet are adapted. And with a rawpaleo diet, I'd expect you might adapt fairly quickly too. If you start off on a tarmac surface in an area where you wouldn't expect there to be glass, and just build up your feet up there, until you feel your soles are stronger. When you run barefoot you'll scan the ground anyway as you go, so you should see anything which could be a problem. I did once get a piece of glass in my foot, but it was the same reason I ever hurt myself in any way... I was feeling self-concious =/ Because of this I scraped my foot along the ground and there was a very thin piece of glass lying flat which went in my foot, almost parallel. It only went in slightly under the skin though and was no problem, just like a thorn. This was also earlier on when my soles were not tough.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2010, 07:35:47 am »
thanks miles, i can see that...

walking with my dog once, i didn't see glass on the sidewalk until my dog was already walking thru it.. she was fine.. it was like she knew the glass was there but never acknowledged it either. 

i can see myself being self-conscious too!, but on the beach it would be okay.. though i am no where near the beach presently  :(

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2010, 12:31:04 am »
i can see myself being self-conscious too!, but on the beach it would be okay.. though i am no where near the beach presently  :(

I was self conscious at first so I just took my dog with me.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk