Author Topic: Fluoridation of water, among other things.  (Read 4818 times)

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Fluoridation of water, among other things.
« on: May 31, 2010, 10:00:09 pm »
I now live in Birmingham(coming from Herefordshire), and upon noticing, since water fasting, that past STRONG thirst the water actually hurts my throat and tastes horrible I looked on the internet about water in the area. The water here is fluoridated, with 1ppm fluoride added to the water supply. I also found that whilst my filter jug can remove dirt and chloride compounds, it has no effect on the water's fluoride content.

What do you think about this issue of fluoridated water? I read that some areas have water which naturally contains 1ppm fluoride. However there are lots of things some areas have, which are not positive. I don't know what the cost of buying bottled water is, but I am considering that as an option(however I have a limited budget). Are there any other ways of filtering out excess fluoride which could be more effective, or is bottled water inexpensive in itself?

Is there anyone else here who lives in an area where the water is fluoridated? What do you do about it, or do you not consider it an issue?

When I said the water hurts my throat and tastes horrible, it is like an unnatural, toxic chemical taste. Is it possible this could be anything else except fluoride? Note that I had filtered the water with a 'Brita' jug.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline reyyzl

• Bear Hunter
  • Raw Chicken Schwarma
    • View Profile
Re: Fluoridation of water, among other things.
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 10:57:33 pm »
Natural Guide dot com
Carbon, Activated Charcoal and Ceramic Filters
Unlike reverse osmosis and distillation, activated charcoal filtered water retains water-soluble minerals. If you don’t have nitrate, nitrites or sodium fluoride in your water and the filter is renewed or replaced when its capacity is exhausted, this option can be a good way to go. Since these filters are less expensive than RO filters or distillers, they may be a necessary option even if you do have sodium fluoride. If so, you can stir a teaspoon of calcium powder (Dr. Bronner’s Calcium-Magnesium Powder works well) into each gallon of filtered water. The fluoride combines with the calcium to form calcium fluoride, believed to be harmless in small doses. Let it settle to the bottom of the container and use the water off the top.
"A genuine RPDer should always live by the coast." -TylerDurden Global Moderator Mammoth Hunter

Too often we get caught up trying to get to the end. What is most important however is to discover the beginning. We don’t solve problems or start to heal unless we can be willing, be kind, laugh a little and commit to seeking until we find. If we can, we’ll get started. I’ll meet you at the beginning!
“Reflections on My Travels…India” by Michael J Tamura ~ pg. 57

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 01:41:39 am »
I'm in the UK and use 5-litre alkaline mineral water bottles 99% of the time. At £1.19/1.99 per 5-litre bottle they are dirt-cheap and avoid the issues re chlorinated/fluoridated tapwater.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 04:17:47 am »
Do you think 'Morrisons Still Spring Water' would be good? I heard it's from a spring in the Yorkshire Dales. I also heard that Yorkshire has fluoridated tap water. Could this affect the spring water? It tastes good to me. I could also give a readout of the mineral content on the side. Fluoride is of course not mentioned.

Also I didn't really look in to this, but I heard something to do with chemicals from the plastic getting in to the water and having negative effects. Something to do with a chemical mimicking oestrogen, perhaps among other things.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 04:28:24 am by miles »
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline reyyzl

• Bear Hunter
  • Raw Chicken Schwarma
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 01:00:12 pm »
It reads here that drinking water is implicated in intersex fish

http://www.nobreastcyst.com/xeno.html
"A genuine RPDer should always live by the coast." -TylerDurden Global Moderator Mammoth Hunter

Too often we get caught up trying to get to the end. What is most important however is to discover the beginning. We don’t solve problems or start to heal unless we can be willing, be kind, laugh a little and commit to seeking until we find. If we can, we’ll get started. I’ll meet you at the beginning!
“Reflections on My Travels…India” by Michael J Tamura ~ pg. 57

Offline Hans89

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 03:08:21 pm »
I'm in the UK and use 5-litre alkaline mineral water bottles 99% of the time. At £1.19/1.99 per 5-litre bottle they are dirt-cheap and avoid the issues re chlorinated/fluoridated tapwater.

Are those plastic bottles?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 05:06:47 pm »
Are those plastic bottles?
Yes. I'm not a believer in the notion that the plastic leaches into the water at dangerous levels. I mean, the mineral-water is only allowed to last a year or two before being dumped, according to regulations, and most such water gets sold off quickly once produced, so it's not an issue. I would be more worried if the bottle had had the water in it for 5-10 years prior to sale.

As for Morrisson's still water, I assume it's a standard product of Morrison's supermarket. I used to buy Sainsbury's version and that was fine. IMO, though, I prefer the smaller brands as they are of higher quality, especially the high-alkaline mineral-waters which have been most beneficial to me re health. As for the fluroidated tapwater that doesn't get mixed with mineral-water from natural springs. The only exception is "mineral"-water taken  and refined from tapwater not natural springs which must be avoided at all costs.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Hans89

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 08:10:35 pm »
My feeling towards plastic bottles is very negative. Recently I drank some really cheap mineral water from one of those thin flexible bottles and it gave me a stomach ache. This happened frequently when I drank that water all the time before... Not sure if it was the water or the plastic... I think I can taste a difference, especially if the bottle has been exposed to the sun or if it has been opened before and then stored again. Plastic also seems really bad environmentally. So I prefer buying my water in glass bottles, even though it's a bit expensive.

Here's a study linking BPA to infertility: http://www.naturalnews.com/027736_BPA_sexual_dysfunction.html

Offline silence

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 08:20:44 am »
my wal mart and most supermarkets have a Culligan reverse osmosis for 37 c a gallon in non-bpa plastic.

the only ways to filter heavy metals is distillation and reverse osmosis. im going to buy a distiller for $190

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk