Author Topic: Chronic Kidney disease  (Read 20302 times)

Offline Cinna

• Bear Hunter
  • "dreamy/dreamer"
    • View Profile
Re: Chronic Kidney disease
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2010, 01:17:44 pm »
I have eaten raw kidneys. They have a bit of a smokey flavor. Actually though, I drink the raw kidneys, and the raw liver, the raw fish, the raw meat, and the raw eggs. Eating raw, highest quality fish and animal products has improved my health dramatically, completely eliminating some issues I've had for decades, so I know they are good for my body. But I could not possibly chew and swallow any of them. I'm aware of the idea that the body will tell us what it needs and that foods that are good for us will taste good. Well, all raw animal products taste bad to me. Repulsive. (Except milk products.) My solution: Put them in the Vitamix with water and the juice of a lemon. (I can't get the "shake" down if it's too thick, so I need to add enough water to make it easily drinkable.) I blend minimally, just long enough to get it to a drinkable state. I hold my nose with one hand and the glass with the other. I drink quickly. When it's down, still holding my nose, I rinse my mouth with water. Then I pop a slice of lemon in my mouth and chew. Only then do I let go of my nose. It's fast, it's easy, and it works for me. I thought I might not receive the health benefits if I blended the food up in a powerful blender, but that has not been the case. 

Very interesting, Angeline! So, if I understand you correctly, you also drink/make drinkable your raw fish and raw meat? How many meals a day do you eat/drink and what does a typical eating day look like? Does your family also consume blended RAF?

alphagruis

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2010, 04:14:31 pm »
I have eaten raw kidneys. They have a bit of a smokey flavor. Actually though, I drink the raw kidneys, and the raw liver, the raw fish, the raw meat, and the raw eggs. Eating raw, highest quality fish and animal products has improved my health dramatically, completely eliminating some issues I've had for decades, so I know they are good for my body. But I could not possibly chew and swallow any of them. I'm aware of the idea that the body will tell us what it needs and that foods that are good for us will taste good. Well, all raw animal products taste bad to me. Repulsive. (Except milk products.) My solution: Put them in the Vitamix with water and the juice of a lemon. (I can't get the "shake" down if it's too thick, so I need to add enough water to make it easily drinkable.) I blend minimally, just long enough to get it to a drinkable state. I hold my nose with one hand and the glass with the other. I drink quickly. When it's down, still holding my nose, I rinse my mouth with water. Then I pop a slice of lemon in my mouth and chew. Only then do I let go of my nose. It's fast, it's easy, and it works for me. I thought I might not receive the health benefits if I blended the food up in a powerful blender, but that has not been the case. 

This is amazing, Angeline.

And BTW nice food for thought for our instincto friends... ;D

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2010, 04:14:39 pm »
I've eaten raw grassfed lambs' kidneys/ox kidneys. They taste great. Newbies should, however, always start off with really fresh versions of raw organs until they're used to them.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2010, 06:30:21 pm »
I tried the blender thing with liver when I first started, couldn't drink it. Even now I bolt liver with fizzy mineral water. I have never chewed it in 4 years! I like the hint of taste this gives so I will have to chew some soon!
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2010, 06:46:44 pm »
I enjoy the liver, and when I stop enjoying it I stop eating it. The kidney though, I don't enjoy yet, so I just take a few bites. Maybe hearing that people here enjoy it will make me enjoy it more, I dunno.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline Angeline

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2010, 05:42:50 am »
I always blend up raw flesh - fish, organ meats, muscle meats, etc. With raw egg yolks, I stir them in a glass with lemon and water and do the nose holding routine, or sometimes just swallow the egg yolks whole. A typical day includes a fish shake (I consume fish every day) followed by 1 tsp of raw, fermented cod liver oil. I drink one other shake that is often a combo of muscle and organ meat (rotating the organs), but sometimes just one or the other. Some days I have the egg yolks and some days not, depending on my hunger. I aim for a high fat/adequate protein/low carb diet, so I eat a lot of fat. It's difficult for me to eat raw animal fat plain, so I make a hearty, fatty bone/vegetable broth and then stir in raw bone marrow and/or raw butter when it's still warm enough to lightly melt it, but not (hopefully) cook it. I'm going to try suet, but haven't felt that motivated to order some yet. Most days I eat a salad of lettuce, cucumber, and celery (or some other low carb veggies) with olive oil, lemon and spices. Some days I just snack on plain raw veggies. I drink homemade beet kvaas (which I love), or eat homemade pickles or homemade sauerkraut (for probiotics). Most days, I lightly steam some vegetables and eat them with lots of raw butter (this makes it easier to eat a lot of fat). I find that eating a high fat (as opposed to high protein) is very satiating and eliminates my desire for sweet and/or starchy foods.

Offline Angeline

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2010, 05:54:14 am »
My family does not drink the flesh shakes. Once in awhile, my teenage boys will just to show me how tough they are, but not on a regular basis. They will eat steak tartare, ceviche, raw egg yolks in a berry or raw goats' milk shake, and lightly cooked fish or seared steak. I'm amazed I've been able to get them to go that far. We have no grains or sugars in the house. When my son's friend comes to spend the night, he brings his survival kit of sodas and top ramen.

Offline Cinna

• Bear Hunter
  • "dreamy/dreamer"
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2010, 07:07:15 pm »
I always blend up raw flesh - fish, organ meats, muscle meats, etc. With raw egg yolks, I stir them in a glass with lemon and water and do the nose holding routine, or sometimes just swallow the egg yolks whole. A typical day includes a fish shake (I consume fish every day) followed by 1 tsp of raw, fermented cod liver oil. I drink one other shake that is often a combo of muscle and organ meat (rotating the organs), but sometimes just one or the other. Some days I have the egg yolks and some days not, depending on my hunger. I aim for a high fat/adequate protein/low carb diet, so I eat a lot of fat. It's difficult for me to eat raw animal fat plain, so I make a hearty, fatty bone/vegetable broth and then stir in raw bone marrow and/or raw butter when it's still warm enough to lightly melt it, but not (hopefully) cook it. I'm going to try suet, but haven't felt that motivated to order some yet. Most days I eat a salad of lettuce, cucumber, and celery (or some other low carb veggies) with olive oil, lemon and spices. Some days I just snack on plain raw veggies. I drink homemade beet kvaas (which I love), or eat homemade pickles or homemade sauerkraut (for probiotics). Most days, I lightly steam some vegetables and eat them with lots of raw butter (this makes it easier to eat a lot of fat). I find that eating a high fat (as opposed to high protein) is very satiating and eliminates my desire for sweet and/or starchy foods.

Great, thanks so much for the info, Angeline... I don't think I'm down for blending (at the moment), but I'm so impressed that you've found ways that work for you and that ensure that you're getting all these nutrients consistently. (Whereas, I haven't tried organs yet, so I'm not getting those nutrients.)

I do want to consume more fat - like, the ratio you mentioned on the other thread (based on that website you recommended - I'll have to look at it again). I think your broth method is an excellent thing for me to try/transition with because I'm not getting enough fat. I'm just not yet accustomed to consuming/swallowing enough fat, even if mixed with some muscle meat.

Thanks again, Angeline - each of your posts is a gem. :)

My family does not drink the flesh shakes. Once in awhile, my teenage boys will just to show me how tough they are, but not on a regular basis. They will eat steak tartare, ceviche, raw egg yolks in a berry or raw goats' milk shake, and lightly cooked fish or seared steak. I'm amazed I've been able to get them to go that far. We have no grains or sugars in the house. When my son's friend comes to spend the night, he brings his survival kit of sodas and top ramen.

Your boys are brave! And so lucky to live in a grain-free and sugar-free household... that's awesome. ;D

« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 07:35:08 pm by Cinna »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk