Author Topic: Sitting on public transport  (Read 5325 times)

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
Sitting on public transport
« on: June 09, 2010, 05:54:16 pm »
I try to avoid sitting in chairs as I think it's unhealthy and has bad cumulative effects on the body.

I have an issue with public transport. I can stand, but at the end of a long day I feel tired and want to sit...especially if I'm spending a couple of hours a day on there.

I've tried sitting or squatting on the floor, which can be ok, but when it starts to fill up people don't see you and it's a bit dangerous.

Has anyone found any better solutions?

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Sitting on public transport
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 06:12:37 pm »
i completely agree, and trying to find an alternative to sitting at work (at desk).

i knew of a professor who kept a treadmill in his office... he walked very slowly while doing all at-the-desk stuff, never sat down in a chair!  i like this idea, but i don't have my own office for that.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 06:37:56 pm »
There are special chairs which don't weaken the back. I remember my father having one such without a back to it and the stool facing forwards to the computer, a weird, futuristic contraption. I like leaning forward in my chairs so don't worry re this issue.

My one concern has been that ever since going rawpalaeo, if I lie in bed more than a couple of minutes after waking up, I quickly develop muscle-cramps. I think I didn't have this isssue before rawpalaeodiet because my muscles and bones at the time were very weak - somehow, as my muscles/bones strengthened, beds became less healthy for me, I think - though I don't have any plans to sleep on the floor as yet as I only have this issue if I'm lazy and continue lying in bed for ages after waking.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 07:14:29 pm »
for both transport and desk work, you can squat directly on the chair. there is a pic of a woman doing this in the Asian squat thread. Some people have stand up workspaces for computer work.

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 08:22:14 pm »
Yeh, you can pick up a standing desk from ikea fairly cheap if you could persuade your boss.

There are different designed chairs, but the basic sitting position is a problem. It holds the psoas muscle in the deep abdomen permanently bent, which creates trigger points and shortening and squashes the gluteal and hamstring muscles with similar effect.

Something similar might be something to do with your probs Tyler...happy to go into it more if you want.

I'll have to think about squatting on chairs. It would be good, but it would draw a lot of attention!

Offline actionhero

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 08:33:45 pm »
Standing or sitting you can choose from depending whether you need rest or not. Is not such a big deal. But what bothers me is being so close to people and having an increased sense of smell. I cannot stand perfume anymore or to be around chain smokers even when they are not smoking.
A P E X   P R E D A T O R

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 09:06:09 pm »
Wont work on public transport, but sitting on an exercise ball is good for the back, I think.

It makes you sit up straigth and uses your core muscles to balance you.
Take everyones advice with a grain of salt. Try things out for your self and then make up your mind.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 10:56:34 pm »
    On buses as long as there is enough room I stand with my legs apart and my knees bent swaying to balance against the sway of the bus.  Trains too.  Other people hang on to bars and straps, but bent knees and being aware work better, IMHO.

Wont work on public transport, but sitting on an exercise ball is good for the back, I think.

It makes you sit up straigth and uses your core muscles to balance you.

Sounds like a great idea for work.

... But what bothers me is being so close to people and having an increased sense of smell. I cannot stand perfume anymore or to be around chain smokers even when they are not smoking.

Yes, cooked eaters smell bad, and although their perfume covers it a little, the perfume smells more annoying.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 02:49:23 am »
    On buses as long as there is enough room I stand with my legs apart and my knees bent swaying to balance against the sway of the bus.  Trains too.  Other people hang on to bars and straps, but bent knees and being aware work better, IMHO.
I have so much fun doing that on the shuttle-trams at airports. That increase in speed/velocity makes it that much more challenging. :)
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk