Author Topic: Raw fat vs Cooked fat  (Read 5018 times)

Offline akaikumo

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
Raw fat vs Cooked fat
« on: August 03, 2008, 01:32:24 pm »
I was talking to my dad earlier who doesn't believe that raw fat could possibly be good for you cholesterol wise. Does anyone have a website that describes the change heat has on fat? I don't know any of the chemistry behind it. I'm also limited in my chemistry knowledge, so one that isn't too above my head would be nice. :P
And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. - Anais Nin

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Raw fat vs Cooked fat
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 06:37:23 pm »
Here's an excerpt in this section of the  wikipedia "Saturated Fat" page:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturated_fat#Dietary_recommendations

"Another confounding issue may be the formation of exogenous (outside the body) advanced glycation endproducts (AGEs) and oxidation products generated during cooking, which it appears some of the studies have not controlled for. It has been suggested that, "given the prominence of this type of food in the human diet, the deleterious effects of high-(saturated)fat foods may be in part due to the high content in glycotoxins, above and beyond those due to oxidized fatty acid derivatives." [34] The glycotoxins, as he called them, are more commonly called AGEs[28]"

You should also be able to find any number of webpages showing how easily EFAs(essential fatty acids) get turned to transfats by heat(eg:- "All these oils are available at natural foods stores and should be cold and raw when consumed, not used in cooking because again, with the exception of olive oil (which is higher in saturated fat), exposure to high heat and oxygen damages unsaturated fats and creates trans fatty acids." taken from:-

http://www.womentowomen.com/nutritionandweightloss/fatandcholesterol.aspx

"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Metallica

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 07:08:21 pm »
i have read that actually its Sugar and excessive carbs that causes high cholesterol not fat; i believe this was from Nourishing Traditions

Offline akaikumo

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 08:44:05 am »
Thanks, both articles were helpful.
And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. - Anais Nin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk