Author Topic: Air dryed burgers.. yum.  (Read 7964 times)

Offline Inger

• Chief
  • 38 yo Norwegian RVAF s.-06, 90% carniv.
    • View Profile
Air dryed burgers.. yum.
« on: June 25, 2010, 02:43:41 am »
Today's menu was (4) airdryed burgers from minced beef.

I form the mince to burgers, then let them airdry over night at low temp. (roomtemperature)
I love to eat them plain or with coconutoil as in the picture.
The greens are Chickweed, I love them too!

A bit closer..

These burgers should not been eaten daily though, I think.
This is because of the oxycholesterins that build up when cholesterol get in touch with air / heat.

This burgers are really nice with some aged mince too! I age my mince up to one week in the fridge (in a open glass jar).
To me the have a mild taste of salami.. :)

Of course you can add spices or onion to the mince, but I like them plain.

Inger

Offline Michael

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: Air dryed burgers.. yum.
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 03:32:53 am »
Great pictures Inger - they look truly delicious!

Hello, by the way.  I've been eating this way for 10 years and am a long-standing member of the forum but have been absent for the last 6 months as I've been too busy with other matters in life.  Nice to meet you.  There seems to be so many members that I don't recognise here now!!

Funny enough, I've been making raw dehydrated burgers myself over the last couple of weeks which I discussed in another thread yesterday: http://www.rawpaleoforum.com/general-discussion/does-dehydrating-meat-oxidize-fat/.  I've tried a variety of recipes including plain, green onion & red pepper, and even lamb curry burgers!! 

My experience agrees with your comments that these shouldn't be eaten too frequently, unfortunately, due to cholesterol and lipid oxidation although the studies I quoted seem conflicting.

Is that coconut oil you have spread on your burgers?  I've now started included raw, grass-fed butter back into my diet so have slices of butter with mine!

Michael
1. When offered something that is too good to be true. It is.
2. Greed and fear are poor states of mind in which to make decisions; like shopping at the supermarket when you are hungry.
3. Exponential growth is mathematically unsustainable.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 03:42:51 am »
What does air-drying mean?
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline Inger

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 03:53:52 am »
@ Miles,

it means to dry them in a dehydrator of some sort.
It has a ventilator, so there will be no flies and such.  ;)
You can regulate the temperature too.

@ Michael,

Hi! :)
Nice that you do the burgers too!
They really are good! I never use spices.. don't know but if I would use maybe I could eat way more of them..? Too much?
I also love the plain taste of beef. I use fatty mince and that is so nice and fatty,
if you use a little higher temperature like 30-35°C the fat melts a little and they becomes crispy..  :)

It is coconutoil yes, that white was is on my burgers. Love it like this.. so yummy. (with butter they must taste great too!)

This thing about oxycholesterin, yes I really do not know. Could it be that it is that bad only if you cook/heat the fat/meat?
I have never got sick from these burgers. Sometimes I leave them for two days on the dehydrator.. still tasting great!
I saw what you have written about it. Do you think you got sick from the burgers or from the spices..  ;)

How long / how much have you been eating them? What temperature do you use?

Inger

Offline Michael

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 04:05:28 am »
Hi Inger,

We could start a raw burger appreciation society!!  :)  I must try some with coconut oil and agree about using fatty beef.  They're certainly tasty crispy and it's encouraging to hear that you dehydrated them for long periods too - I ended up doing so for usually around 12 hours.  I don't set my Excalibur dehydrator any higher than 105deg.

I have had them plain but prefer a little green onion and red pepper in mine.  They're only spicy when I make curry burgers which has only been once or twice.
I really don't know if it's the burgers which have made me feel unwell recently.  I must admit that I probably did overindulge!  :)  I was hoping I'd be able to use them as a staple food so have subsisted on them alone for much of the last couple of weeks!  :)

It would be nice if we could have some reassurance that they're actually not that bad wouldn't it?  I may look into the subject a little further following the conflicting studies I found in my brief search thus far.  Let me know if you discover any detailed studies yourself and please share any new recipes!  :)

Michael
2. Greed and fear are poor states of mind in which to make decisions; like shopping at the supermarket when you are hungry.

Offline Inger

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 05:17:36 am »
Hi Michael,

I'm secretly hoping you find something of value to this subject..  ;)

But anyway, it really is easy to overindulge these burgers (and I always make them plain..).
That is why I don't make them every day. And when, I limit myself to max. 4 x 100 grams at one meal. I could easily eat seven of them.  -\

Inger

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 07:01:03 am »
But anyway, it really is easy to overindulge these burgers (and I always make them plain..).
That is why I don't make them every day. And when, I limit myself to max. 4 x 100 grams at one meal. I could easily eat seven of them.  -\
I agree. I've found this phenomenon with most dried meats. I've wondered before (and still do wonder) if part of this hunger isn't actually thirst for water, due to the (semi-)dessicated state of the food, that's misinterpreted for actual hunger.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Inger

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 02:05:42 am »
You say something djr_81.

That might be the case. Have to drink water to dried menu's. ;) I will give it a try.

Inger

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 03:23:49 am »
I'll probably try them. Probably not good all the time...but you have to enjoy life.

Offline Michael

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 10:29:46 pm »
I'm secretly hoping you find something of value to this subject..  ;)

Sorry for the slow response Inger.  I've been away from the forum again as busy with other matters.  I'll report on any further studies I find when I eventually get around to some research.

I indulged in some more burgers a few days ago for the first time since and, interestingly, felt rather nauseous, headaches etc for 24 hours again post-meal!  They certainly do seem to have a negative effect on me - and I didn't even add any spices this time!!  :)  Such a shame.  Perhaps I do overindulge though as I did as you mentioned - and ate more than seven of them!!  :)

I agree. I've found this phenomenon with most dried meats. I've wondered before (and still do wonder) if part of this hunger isn't actually thirst for water, due to the (semi-)dessicated state of the food, that's misinterpreted for actual hunger.

Hey Dan, Good point.  It probably didn't help that I don't recall drinking any substantial quantity.  That would certainly explain the headaches and the need to water fast for the next 24hrs to aid recovery!

I'll probably try them. Probably not good all the time...but you have to enjoy life.

Indeed Josh.  If they don't bother you as they seem to me then I would highly recommend them as an occasional 'healthy' treat!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk