Author Topic: chewy fat on meat cuts  (Read 4321 times)

Offline UB

• Forager
    • View Profile
chewy fat on meat cuts
« on: July 01, 2010, 03:18:14 am »
Most times I buy a fatty piece of meat I notice that the fat is really chewy, more like gum to be exact, and I am not able to grind it down with my teeth. Since I cannot grind it and also cannot just bolt it down (gross) I take it out of my mouth and threw it away.

This non-eatable gummy fat is really turning me off. Anyone else experience this?

The meat I can buy is mostly on the lean side anyway. E.g. the ground beef is less than 10% of fat or sometimes less than 20%. The steaks, cutlets and all other kind of cuts are very lean as well. What kind of extra fat would you add to this?

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: chewy fat on meat cuts
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 03:24:47 am »
4 people asked this question in the last week.. It's not fat, it's connective tissue... If it tastes a bit of fat, that's because there is some fat mixed in with it...
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline UB

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 01:58:54 pm »
4 people asked this question in the last week.. It's not fat, it's connective tissue... If it tastes a bit of fat, that's because there is some fat mixed in with it...

my bad

the search didn't yield the answers I was looking for

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 02:01:55 pm »
Hey no problem, It's just weird that's all =D How 'everyone' starts asking at once. It was actually only 2 times, 3 including you but I exaggerated for extra effect.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 09:13:01 pm »
So is there no nutritional value to the connective tissues, or is it something that you would want to try to eat anyways?
Hi, I'm 32, around 5'4" and ~124lb, no real significant health problems other than hyperventilating when running/exercising (that my doc said was because of the smog/asthma), fatigue, and really bad acne.
I'd preferably be a carnivore/very low carb, but I have had a very hard time finding grass-fed or even organic fats, organs, and marrow. I consume raw dairy, but I do not eat much vegetables.. however, I do love fruit.
I live with my dad, so I also have to sneak any raw meat eating.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk