Author Topic: started using raw eggs, reduced protein powder use  (Read 4373 times)

Offline NEUROSPORT

• Trapper
    • View Profile
started using raw eggs, reduced protein powder use
« on: July 01, 2010, 09:10:15 pm »
this is my first raw animal food.  i went out to trader joes and got some organic plus omega 3 eggs.

i blend them into my usual protein shake.  instead of having 2.0 scoops of protein in the shake i now have 0.7 to 1.0 scoops of protein and 1 to 2 raw eggs in it.  so i am keeping overall calories similar but now my shake has more fat and less protein.

but perhaps more importantly now my diet has animal fat, because before ALL the fat in my diet was plant.

so the actual contents of the shake are:

* chia seeds ( about an ounce ) // omega 3
* hemp seeds ( about two ounces ) // omega 3 and 6
* some inexpensive nuts or seeds // calories, fat
* a scoop of whey protein // ~ 20 grams protein worth
* organic raw egg // fat, vitamins
* cacao powder
* splenda

yeah i know splenda is not exactly for purists ;) but IMO compared to sugar it is the lesser evil.  at least splenda does not cause a narcotic like reaction in my body like sugar does.  and the shake comes out to a delicious chocolate taste and texture - it tastes just like really fatty chocolate ice cream that was allowed to melt.

i have to say though that if Omega 3 is what you're after Chia seeds are TWENTY PERCENT ( 20% ) OMEGA 3 BY WEIGHT while an "omega 3 egg" only has 0.3 gram of omega 3.  if you love to mega-dose nutrients as i do you should really consider it ;)

« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 09:16:39 pm by NEUROSPORT »

Offline dsohei

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: started using raw eggs, reduced protein powder use
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 02:15:24 am »
why aren't you you using green or white/refined stevia or raw/fermented honey for sweeteners?

ive done the whole vegan superfood plant protein shakes and its a mixed bag at best.
you really have to source your products: cacao nibs from ultimate superfoods. if youre gonna do whey it has to be raw (defense nutrition or mercola) or un-denatured. the list can go on and on.

try this: 3 raw egg yolks from pastured and fertilized chickens (farms or farmers markets), some ground up cacao beans or nibs, and then just a bit of some protein powder, water or coconut milk, and a sweetener. make it simple.

Offline NEUROSPORT

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 04:02:21 am »
try this: 3 raw egg yolks from pastured and fertilized chickens (farms or farmers markets), some ground up cacao beans or nibs, and then just a bit of some protein powder, water or coconut milk, and a sweetener. make it simple.

how about - egg yolks, honey and

http://www.cookingfor.us/catalog/images/KitchenAid%20KHM9PWH%209-Speed%20Hand%20Mixer.jpg

?

problem is i would not eat honey - it's not conductive towards my weight loss goals.  i am predisposed towards weight gain.  when i eliminated all sugars from my diet it was the first time i actually started losing weight without deliberately starving myself.

i tried stevia once and found it to be more or a flavoring than a sweetener.  if stevia works for your taste buts - by all means.

Offline dsohei

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 01:58:17 pm »
when i say use some raw/fermented honey, i'm talking about less than a tablespoon per smoothie. if you are eating mainly fat and protein, then a few grams of carbs is not going to fatten you up unless you have serious underlying detox issues to clear up.

the thing with stevia is that different brands taste different. different quality, etc.
plus, the mind and body adapt over time to anything, especially when you have strong intention.
when i was more ill in the past, stevia "tasted bad", because i was adapted to white sugar "tasting good".

Offline NEUROSPORT

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 10:29:53 pm »
stevia "tasted bad", because i was adapted to white sugar "tasting good".

you have a point there.  when i used to have sodium salt ( table salt ) i thought potassium salt tasted bad.  but in reality i was just used to the taste of sodium salt.  now i use Morton Lite salt ( which is a 50/50 mix ) and i think it tastes perfect.

i might look into honey again. 

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 01:43:50 am »
For me I think mixing things like raw eggs in a shake with cacao and those other raw plant ingredients would cause some uncomfortable indigestion. If I were you, and you still want to drink those shakes, I would eat the raw eggs separate from them.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk