Author Topic: Hot Pink Sauerkraut!  (Read 12174 times)

Satya

Hot Pink Sauerkraut!
« on: August 06, 2008, 12:34:38 am »
For Yuri:

Kraut is the easiest thing in the world to make and it increases enzymes, vitamins and stores food long term without cooking or canning.  You should use a bit of salt to ensure that lactobacilli and not molds grow.  Add onion, garlic and herbs as you choose.  Basic recipe is:

1 medium head green or red cabbage (or 1/2 each)
2 teaspoons celtic sea salt (less if cooler climate)

Shred cabbage, mix in salt.  Pound with a potato masher or rolling pin.  Pack tightly into a 1 quart glass mason jar.  Leave lid loose.  Set on counter for 3 days at cooler temp (60-67 degrees F) or down to one day for over 78 degrees temp.  Refrigerate, and eat in a week up to several months.  I like a big spoonful of it in my carpaccio.

This has red and green cabbage, a bit of sliced onion and hot serrano pepper.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 06:45:59 am by Satya »

Offline boxcarguy07

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: Hot Pink Sauerkraut!
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 12:41:06 am »
no water?

I love sauerkraut... the brand I buy is Bubbie's... they say they heat it, but just enough so that the bacteria doesn't overflow over the sides of the jar or something like that. They say they've done tests on both their unheated and heated krauts and found that the live bacteria or enzyme level in the heated was comparable to the unheated.

I'd love to make my own though, as it would be cheaper I'm sure.

Satya

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 01:05:51 am »
No water.  The salt and pounding (added that detail just now) get the juices out of the cabbage.  It is so cheap and easy and better that you will never go back to store-bought stuff.

Offline boxcarguy07

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 01:14:57 am »
Ah gotcha... okay, so sorry for all the questions, but I've always been an idiot when it comes to following written directions...

What do you shred the cabbage with?

What surface is it on when you pound it? I'm guessing it must be something that can catch the liquid? I don't know what a potato masher is, and how exactly do you pound with a rolling pin?

Satya

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 01:19:00 am »
No problem, Keith.  I am just pressed for time these days.  Um, use a cheese grater or food processor with the grater attachment.  Pound in a big, glass bowl.  Take the ends out of the rolling pin if they are in there (some come without little handle thingies).  Yes, I will demonstrate it for you sometime.

Next chance I get I will post Italian style pickled veggies.  Yum yum yum.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 01:29:07 am by Satya »

Offline rawlion

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 05:52:45 pm »
Well, thanks for the tips...

I hope I will gain necessary experience with the time.

I already have three 10 litres buckets packed with fermenting cabbage...

I can't wait to taste my own kraut...
It’s time to Eat Like An Animal!

Satya

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 09:09:44 pm »
Thanks for the pdf files, Yuri.  I will have to see your method to discover what I can learn from you.

Offline rawlion

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 09:37:16 pm »
It is great that we can learn from each other... Everyone's approach is unique, so we may compare several and come up with the best one at the end.

I know that my English was approved here, but sometimes I still have a hard time understanding certain things. For instance, when I was reading homemade sauerkraut instruction (pdf OwnSauerkraut) I came across the passage which confused me somehow. To my opinon there is one contradictory note which states that "It is absolutely essential that you cover the cabbage and liquid to exclude air..."
I may be missing something here, but how on earth one can cover the LIQUID to prevent it contact the AIR?

I agree that the fermentation process requires anaerobic conditions, but my understanding is that this anaerobic condition is provided by juices which cover the cabbage...

One more note. I can't see why one needs to add more salt that is just enough to draw out the cabbage juice. If one is so worried about the possible bad bacteria growth, then why not add some garlic to the gabbage, which will resolve the issue by itself...

Yuri

Satya

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 05:36:21 am »
It is great that we can learn from each other... Everyone's approach is unique, so we may compare several and come up with the best one at the end.

I know that my English was approved here, but sometimes I still have a hard time understanding certain things. For instance, when I was reading homemade sauerkraut instruction (pdf OwnSauerkraut) I came across the passage which confused me somehow. To my opinon there is one contradictory note which states that "It is absolutely essential that you cover the cabbage and liquid to exclude air..."
I may be missing something here, but how on earth one can cover the LIQUID to prevent it contact the AIR?

I agree that the fermentation process requires anaerobic conditions, but my understanding is that this anaerobic condition is provided by juices which cover the cabbage...

One more note. I can't see why one needs to add more salt that is just enough to draw out the cabbage juice. If one is so worried about the possible bad bacteria growth, then why not add some garlic to the gabbage, which will resolve the issue by itself...

Yuri,  if only we could have a tasting party of our delicious culinary treats!

Your English remains beautiful, but there is a way to keep (most of) the liquid from the air, although that is hardly necessary.  If you place something like a plate, or a ceramic disc of some sort, over the kraut, that will keep the liquid mostly from the air.  You are correct that the liquid serves the same purpose for anaerobic fermentation.

Salting may be a taste factor for some.  In the summer here in Texas, my house temperature may be around 80° F (27° C).  Sometimes molds will be introduced to the fermentation vessel, so that is why I use more salt in summer.  Plus I exercise much and sweat.  And finally, I only eat kraut as a condiment; only a bit at a time.  I think salt is a variable that many people can work with to their own level of comfort.  There is no doubt that garlic will inhibit the growth of some bacteria and viruses.  I am not so sure about mold, at least in my region, and I hate throwing food out due to spoilage.  Some people can ferment anaerobically without salt, so it is worth a try or 2 or 3.

It is the beauty of wild fermentation that we have our own strains of bacteria in our different locales, and it is a unique product that we create each time.  I hope that everyone who is into fermentation will experiment for themselves to find out what works best for them.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 05:42:07 am by Satya »

Satya

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2008, 06:02:12 am »
I should have read your excellent instructions before I wrote, Yuri.  To read about your childhood experience is grand.  May I have permission to post your pdf file on the recipes page of rawpaleo.com?

http://www.rawpaleodiet.com/recipes/

Y'all do realize that Yuri is in the Ukraine?  English is not his native tongue, believe it or not.

Well, I see that you do large amounts of kraut at one time.  Where I live, we have 2 growing seasons.  And very soon, I may plant greens that will be enjoyed until perhaps December when the frost will come.  So I only make a quart jar or half-gallon at a time!  I put nothing over the liquid and no scum develops.  But the fermenting cabbage can let off much CO2, so I place the jar on a plate to catch the liquid that spills over with it.

One thing about using jars for fermentation is: Leave the lid loose while it is fermenting.  One morning, I was checking on a half-gallon jar of kimchi, which I had clamped down tightly.  Well, the pressure was so great that it sprayed all over the kitchen, including the ceiling!  So I am careful now, as a tightly closed jar that has little bacteria producing CO2 can be dangerous.  Glass jars will explode, so maybe use Yuri's method, it is safer.  ;D
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 12:41:02 am by Craig »

Offline boxcarguy07

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2008, 09:36:27 am »
Yes, it is amazing that his English is so good!
I would never have known that English was his second language if he did not say so.
His English is better than many Americans'!

Offline rawlion

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2008, 03:15:32 pm »
Hi Satya

It takes a long time to catch up on all your comments... so let’s start discussing the questions…

I agree that it would have been great if we had the opportunity to share something tasty that we had made. Maybe when our paleoland projects is implemented we will be able to do that ;)

And as long as cabbage’s exposure to air is concerned I absolutely understand everything. I've been there... And you are very right by saying that “If you place something like a plate, or a ceramic disc of some sort, over the kraut, that will keep the liquid mostly from the air.” Mind, that you use the word MOSTLY! Because whether you like it or not, at least some juice will come over the plate and there will be a contact with air. But the reference require to “cover the cabbage and liquid to exclude air.” Such an absolute anaerobic condition may be only provided when one uses plastic bag with water to cover the cabbage. But again, I cannot but agree with you that it is hardly necessary. To my mind, the whole point is to draw out the juice so the cabbage can ferment.

I tried to explain in my Journal why I prepare large amounts of kraut. I need it for several reasons, namely to get beneficial bacteria and adequate carb intake. Since I decided to exclude any sugar or starches from my diet, it appeared extremely difficult to consume at least 50 grams of carbs from other sources. In order to do that, I have to eat somewhere near 1 kilo of cabbage daily with some onion and garlic to boot. For the reason that sauerkraut is the high-sodium food, and bearing in mind my heavy reliance on it, I decided to experiment with much less salt that is recommended. I will see how it works.

Of course I don’t mind adding these pdf files on the recipes page of rawpaleo.com I just have to say that they aren’t mine, in the literal sense of the word. This is a mere amassment of what others have written or practiced. I've done very little in this regard, but what I have done has given me a great deal of pleasure.

That is, in sum, what I have to say.

Yuri

p.s. I still have to consult a dictionary here and there, so there is a lot of room for improvement...

Offline Nicola

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2008, 06:11:51 pm »
Perhaps all that Sauerkraut is not a good idea?

In 1974, I noticed that I consistently got a migraine headache after drinking a lactobacillus milk product, and stopped using (and recommending) yogurt and other lactobacillus foods, though I suspected it was the lactic acid which caused the immediate symptoms. Lactic acid is a metabolic burden, especially when combined with an estrogen excess, but Stevens' main point, about the significance of our immunological response to systemic bacterial antigens, deserves more attention.

from

http://raypeat.com/articles/nutrition/carrageenan.shtml

Nicola

Offline rawlion

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2008, 07:43:14 pm »
I understand that it may not be the best idea. But as of now this is the only option I can think of. Anyway, thanks for the warning. I'll see how/if it works for me. I am going to start eating sauerkraut tomorrow.

Offline rawlion

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2008, 10:48:32 pm »
Now I think I have found the proof that salt is USELESS for good healthy sauerkraut.

Offline boxcarguy07

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2008, 02:18:43 am »
Satya or Yuri, maybe one of you knows the answer to this question...

is there any benefit to drinking the liquid that is left over after all the kraut is gone? Like, is there any bacteria present in the water, or will is basically just be salt water?

Offline Dan

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2008, 03:03:55 pm »
I was told not to rinse it, because you lose more of the goodies. 

Also, Yuri's culturing attachment describes a cabbage rejuvelac, so I'm sure it's got plenty of bacteria.

I guess it's about time to break out the crock.

Offline rawlion

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2008, 09:49:01 pm »
Satya or Yuri, maybe one of you knows the answer to this question...

is there any benefit to drinking the liquid that is left over after all the kraut is gone? Like, is there any bacteria present in the water, or will is basically just be salt water?

This is most definitely not only salted water. However, I cannot know for sure. But, from the practical viewpoint, whenever some souerkraut is taken from the crock, it is always taken along with at least minimal amount of that liquid. So I wouldn't make any steps to avoid this liquid and if desired it can be safely drunk. As an alternative, I think it may be used for the preparation of the next batch of the kraut, as it probably will make the process quicker...

Yuri

Satya

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2008, 09:59:25 pm »

There are lacto-bacteria, lactic acid and salt in the kraut juice.  You know what it is really good for?  Marinating meats to soften them.  If you get a tougher cut, you could put some of the kraut juice on it for a few hours.

Offline boxcarguy07

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2008, 07:05:31 am »
Hey, just wondering... I want to make some of my own kraut pretty soon, and I was wondering if it would be smart, or if there was any way I could use the left-over "kraut water" from some store-bought brand in mine. It seems like it would help with the fermentation.

Or something  :D

Basically i want to use the same jar that my old kraut was in, but keep all the left-over water in it, and add my new cabbage to the left-over water, and then (if needed) add some more of my own water.

Any thoughts?

Satya

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2008, 10:25:04 pm »
Hey, just wondering... I want to make some of my own kraut pretty soon, and I was wondering if it would be smart, or if there was any way I could use the left-over "kraut water" from some store-bought brand in mine. It seems like it would help with the fermentation.

Or something  :D

Basically i want to use the same jar that my old kraut was in, but keep all the left-over water in it, and add my new cabbage to the left-over water, and then (if needed) add some more of my own water.

Any thoughts?

Yes, Keith, you can use a spoonful or two of kraut water for your homemade batch.  You can get away with less salt that way too.  The lactobacteria innoculant ensures a good start to fermentation without the worry of molds you can get in unsalted ferments.  Good luck (and sorry for the delayed respose).

livingthelife

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2008, 07:58:11 am »
I just made some of the hot pink variety, it should be ready tomorrow.

I bought a pickling jar from wisemantrading.com and then bought a 1/2 gallon jar from the hardware store that accommodates the pickling lid that came with the kit. I can make 1 gallon (pickles, usually) or 1/2 gallon (kraut, usually) with the same airlock apparatus. It's been very easy to do.

I use any brines to break down my dog's vegetables; I stir some into the pulped veg mash and let it sit out overnight before freezing it. Good call on the "meat tenderizer" rec.

As for priming one batch of kraut to the next, the advice to use only a few spoonfuls is right on, because you can easily get food poisoning from this stuff! I don't transfer anything from batch to batch because it ferments so easily and I did get food poisoning once from letting a batch go too long. (Don't ever eat soft sauerkraut, it should smell tangy and be crunchy.)

And I always add a generous amount of raw seaweed to my kraut.

Satya

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2009, 09:37:25 am »
Ah, so many pics to attach after having linked to them via the rawpaleodiet.com website which I gave away.  Sorry for the delay, hungry people.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk