Author Topic: marrow calorie content  (Read 9304 times)

Offline mrz

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
marrow calorie content
« on: July 07, 2010, 01:30:27 am »
so i ordered some marrow, they said its about 4oz of marrow in each 1lb bone..

from my calculation, 4oz = 113 grams = ~1000 calories of fat..

is this correct? 1lb of marrow with 4oz has about 1000 calories of fat?

Offline Nation

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: marrow calorie content
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 01:37:26 am »
1g of fat = 9 calories

Offline Paleo Donk

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 02:05:49 am »
No, marrow is a mix of fat, protein and water and from what I know can change pretty drastically according to type of animal, what part of the bone( higher up towards body is denser with more saturated fat and the opposite towards the other end) and what season it is.

I have written about this extensively previously so do some searching - cordain wrote a great paper where he analyzed the types of fat in different species of african herbivores. From his study bone marrow was 51% fat, 7% protein and the rest water but like I said this can change quite substantially. The USDA somehow has measure caribou marrow of all animals and has 84% fat and 7% protein.

Offline mrz

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 02:49:57 am »
right if 1g of fat = 9 calories, therefore 113 grams is ~1000

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 09:25:52 am »
I use Fitday and eat marrow almost every day. 97% fat, 3% protein.

Offline mrz

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 10:16:10 am »
so 4oz = ~1000 calories or so?

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 10:25:52 am »
I use Fitday and eat marrow almost every day. 97% fat, 3% protein.
Im pretty sure thats off. I can't find any info but i know marrow is not just fat and protein.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 11:13:09 am »
so 4oz = ~1000 calories or so?

why do you care about calories?  calories and health have absolutely nothing in common.
food calorie is the dumbest thing ever.

calorie is a thermal unit that measures the amount of thermal energy.  it was invented somewhere in the dark ages to describe how our bodies use energy from food by burning food in the air.  well, there is absolutely nothing that burns in our bodies, instead there are highly complex chemical reactions with tons of dependencies and variables.  how can anyone equate it to simply burning food in the air?

no one is complaining about this nonsense because the concept of calorie is very convenient and it drives billion dollar industries such as food, medical, diet, fitness, etc.

here is an example of how ridiculous concept of food calorie is.  has anyone tried to estimate how many food calories it takes to grow our nails, hair, or replacing skin cells?  or generate new blood cells, hormones, recycle old cells?  you'll never find an answer.  try asking this question to a "registered dietitian" just for the kicks.

food calories are as useful as dog poop, so instead i would use weight to measure the amount of food.
i personally do not weigh my food, i eat until i'm not hungry and that's it.  if i ate less than my body needs, i'll get hungry sooner, if i ate more then it'll take more time until my next meal.  heck, animals don't weigh their food.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 11:39:16 am »
why do you care about calories?  calories and health have absolutely nothing in common.

calorie is a thermal unit that measures the amount of thermal energy.  it was invented somewhere in the dark ages to describe how our bodies use energy from food by burning food in the air.  well, there is absolutely nothing that burns in our bodies, instead there are highly complex chemical reactions with tons of dependencies and variables.  how can anyone equate it to simply burning food in the air?

no one is complaining about this nonsense because the concept of calorie is very convenient and it drives billion dollar industries such as food, medical, diet, fitness, etc.

here is an example of how ridiculous concept of food calorie is.  has anyone tried to estimate how many food calories it takes to grow our nails, hair, or replacing skin cells?  or generate new blood cells, hormones, recycle old cells?  you'll never find an answer.  try asking this question to a "registered dietitian" just for the kicks.

food calories are as useful as dog poop, so instead i would use weight to measure the amount of food.
i personally do not weigh my food, i eat until i'm not hungry and that's it.  if i ate less than my body needs, i'll get hungry sooner, if i ate more then it'll take more time until my next meal.  heck, animals don't weigh their food.

I love this calorie debunking thing.  Can I post this on my blog?
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline pioneer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 01:10:10 pm »

Dude, ur the man, it totally makes sense and you make it so clear for others. I love the ask the nutritionist bit too cause Ive debated with nutritionist myself about this topic. However, why use a measurement of weight? Does that always work. i.e. 4oz of fat is 1000kcal, but 4oz of protein is 120kcal so wouldnt the fat give you more energy to use? IDK, but many people dont know this either: when in ketosis, one gram of ketones in urine is 5kcal, that means out of the 9kcal of fat you consumed, you only used 4kcal of it? Why would we humans work this way? I thought that we were supposed to conserve as much energy as possible. Either way, I love bringin that up in nutrition lectures because it totally shits all over the fat consumption and fat gain theory.
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

"There is a lot of pressure to be sexualized but not to actually be sexual."
- women's health member

Offline pioneer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 01:14:03 pm »
I love this calorie debunking thing.  Can I post this on my blog?

please make a topic of this goodsamaritan
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

- women's health member

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2010, 09:36:48 pm »
Can I post this on my blog?

it's all yours, feel free to update it if you like.

when in ketosis, one gram of ketones in urine is 5kcal, that means out of the 9kcal of fat you consumed, you only used 4kcal of it

ahh, in my opinion it is not that simple. again you are operating with thermal units, you can't equate energy that is released by burning fat in the air to the energy that is used by the body. 

if you guys like to use calories that's fine, it's just in my opinion it is completely useless calculations that do not make much sense.  it is true that the more food you consume the more energy your body will get, it's just you can't describe it accurately with so called food calories.

Offline pioneer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2010, 10:57:59 pm »
Yes, and that is totally what I believe. I am trying to stop thinking calories. I feel that it is not about calories because thats just like saying everyone has to wear the same shoes or do the same amount of pull ups. We are all different and none of us use food energy the same. This is why I hate calories in calories out ideology. Also, that old saying "you are what you eat" is wrong, the real saying should be "you are what you absorb" because one could be anemic and take all the iron supplements they want and not absorb it. It is when one consumes raw meat with iron bound to protein and other molecules that are utilizable on the cellular level they are not anemic anymore. Another reason I always look at the calorie hypothesis as wrong because me and my friend johnny could both eat 2000cal but if his cells utilize the food's energy better than me and stimulate testosterone and other androgens better, he is going to put on lbs muscle mass and I'm not gonna gain jack squat. Speaking of the "we are what we absorb" saying again, no human needs 10000 calories, or that much food to provide 10000 calories (even if you're 300lb). It is obvious that the strongmen we see on TV who eat 10000 plus calories a day are not utilizing all the foods energy it provides. But, if their digestive system is perfect with sufficient bacteria and enzymes, they will most likely utilize all the foods energy and nutrients, so they wouldnt need to eat as much.

- women's health member

Offline dsohei

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2010, 11:05:43 pm »
in response to "we are what we absorb", i've heard some raw vegans who follow caloric restriction take MASSIVE amounts of enzymes to build muscle (it seems like it works to a degree. they are still quite scrawny by average standards, but muscular by raw vegan standards. however the cooked vegans trump them and some are on par athletically with cooked paleo, although they didn't build their initial muscle on plant foods alone. cooked paleo and cooked vegan seem to be tied for health, superficially and short term at least.)

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2010, 04:59:48 am »
Im pretty sure thats off. I can't find any info but i know marrow is not just fat and protein.

It melts in my mouth like butter. It as pure a fat as I can find. What carbs could be in marrow?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk