Author Topic: High-Meat-Recipe Preparation For More Advanced RAFers  (Read 239671 times)

Offline DopeDivinity

• Trapper
    • View Profile
Re: High-Meat-Recipe Preparation For More Advanced RAFers
« Reply #175 on: June 27, 2012, 06:13:03 am »
Awesome thread... with my comProMised Digestion, I am definitely interested in trying HighMeat. I couldn't want it sooner... it could be the Answer to all my problems. I know I say that alot...

I has a qestion. Has anyone tried High-ing the meat outside, with a cloth over the top,  perhaps in a paper bag for extra protection? It would seem it would breathe well enough that way. Thus you wouldn't need to burp it, so flies wouldn't have a chance to get in.

And another qestion. Does anyone have any figures on how much HighMeat was traditonally consumed? I could see an Eskimo eating a whole plate of it, instead of some'n like a lil marble... so I'm curious. Is there anyone here who eats it "Regularly"... like you would UnHigh meat? I don't see why not... if you think of it just like another fermented food (even if its its own ballgame) then it doesn't seem like it could be overdone.

Thanks! I'm eager to High. Maybe I should try it with frozen meat? Girl.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 27, 2012, 11:37:19 am »
hi dougie:) flies will lay there eggs on meat hung outside, but i have seen people dry age sides of pig just as you have described. this thread has a ton of ideas about how to make high meat, look for ingers videos about it too.    high meat is really powerful, when you eat its its super weird tastey but you really cant eat all that much,  not because its not good, just because its so satiating.

Offline Inger

• Chief
  • 38 yo Norwegian RVAF s.-06, 90% carniv.
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 27, 2012, 02:25:57 pm »
DopeDivinity,
hanging outside will not work I am afraid. It will just dry out. It needs to be moist to rotten. That is why you need a closed glass-jar.
If you hang the whole animal, with the skin on, that might make it rot inside.. I don't know.. if that is a good idea at all.
Traditionally the food that had to rot was buried in the ground. It must have gotten just enough air through the earth that there was no chance for dangerous bacterias like botulism. That is the one that might kill you. This started to appear when the natural tribes started to use plastic to put their meat in to rot. People died from botulism. This bacteria can grow only where are no oxygen (or actually it is not the bacteria per se that is dangerous but the toxic waste that it produces).

Inger

Offline DopeDivinity

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 28, 2012, 12:01:10 pm »
I said High-ing, not Hanging.  :o

I was talking about the JarMethod, just outdoors with a cloth on top... the cloth would allow air in, so you dont have to burp it and risk FlyContam.

Hello Jessica... Ray here... this account is bof of us.  8)  O0

I'm the one with the Fro

Offline DopeDivinity

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 04, 2012, 07:06:57 am »
So... I'm sure someone out here has made HighMeat outside before... besides flies... do any other animals try to get at the Meat? I couldn't see the raccoons that live in my attic passing it up...

Offline letsdoiteczema

• Buffalo Hunter
  • Call me LDIE for short =)
    • View Profile
    • Healing from severe suicidal eczema
« Reply #180 on: July 04, 2012, 08:35:55 pm »
@DopeDivinity

I ferment my meat in jars outside in room temp. Right now, I need to "burp" it (nice word) daily to make sure good bacteria gets fresh air. I think someone mentioned that constant exposure to air (cloth on top method) would dry out the meat very quick, and the meat would no longer ferment and produce beneficial bacteria.

I guess this is another experiment I have to do myself. Thanks for reminding me about it. I'll experiment with a small piece of meat constantly exposed to air.
Wishing everyone the best in health and happiness! much love to all!

My severe suicidal eczema healing blog: http://eczemabye.weebly.com/

Offline Polyvore

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 20, 2012, 08:37:36 am »
I think my lambs heart has become too dry to develop properly... Can I just add a teaspoon of water to rehydrate it and let it continue developing?
I keep my high meat in a glass jar with a plastic lid, under my sink in a cupboard, and burp it each night. Is a plastic lid is OK?

Offline Adora

• Chief
  • to thine own self be true ... Shakespeare
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 21, 2012, 01:06:26 am »
I think the meat will rehydrate as it decomposes, so I wouldn't add water. Why not use a mason jar lid. I've heard the plastic is fine, but the smell stays in it
know thyself and all of the mysteries of the gods and the universe will be revealed.
Oracle at Delphi

Then began I to thrive, and wisdom to get,
I grew and well I was;
Each word led me on to another word,
Each deed to another deed.
Odin, who chose to be weak and hang form the tree of the world (the universe), to capture the Runes (wisdom), so he (omnipotent) grew...
Each true word and deed leads to my manifestation of the true me.

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 21, 2012, 08:31:15 pm »
i wouldn't add water. may be fine, but something else will grow i think. how about adding some fresh cuts of meat with it for moisture? that always gets slimy for me, not dry.

what does the dry high meat lamb heart that you have now smell like? is it like high meat minus the sliminess?

CitrusHigh

« Reply #184 on: July 21, 2012, 08:59:17 pm »
I'd go for it Poly, but not even a half teaspoon. Just a few drops at first to raise the humidity level. You can always add more, but far more difficult to undo. The microbes just need a moist evironment so they aren't drying out, if the humidity level is kosher, then you should be golden!

Offline Polyvore

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 22, 2012, 05:37:53 pm »
I added a dribble of water to it. I have not smelled high meat before, so I cannot tell you what it smells like... It smells putrid. I guess I will be going by how it looks, it is starting to get that yellow slime in between the meats, but the meat pieces are very sticky and sticking to each other and the glass.
I found out the plastic lid to my bottle is not air tight, as the smell started to come out from under the sink and all through the house! So I have put it outside, in between the shed and the gate with all the spiderwebs. I assume this is a good thing though as it will mean there is a bit of air getting in (or out) like the underground versions?

Also, has anyone ever tried making a raw garlic high meat? Apparently garlic is very good at fighting botulism and things like that, so it would be interesting to see what kind of bacteria would grow and how it would develop if the meat was drenched in fresh garlic at the start...

Offline letsdoiteczema

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 22, 2012, 07:03:00 pm »
@Polyvore

Yes. You make a good point.

This makes me wonder whether soaking meat in coconut oil will inhibit the potential growth of bad bacteria. The reason I'm thinking about this is that I'm forced to make high meat with frozen meat...which some here advise against, due to good bacteria being killed in frozen meat.

Anyone have any experiences of soaking meat in liquids? e.g. coconut oil, vinegar (or apple cider), garlic, lemon marinate? etc...?

Offline Adora

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 22, 2012, 10:52:52 pm »
I make high meat in the fridge, air it 1/day just open it and stir it, eat 1-3 bits and put it back. I usually start with left over meat I've been eating that is over a week old and getting sticky/slimy. Then cut it up and put in wide mouth mason jar, with metal lid.
     I toss it if it gets an ammonia smell. I don't think it is toxic, b/c I've forced myself to eat it, and I've never gotten sick, but I don't have to force it when it is regular high.
      I think marinating should be held off on until you are experienced with plain high meat. Eat fresh garlic before or after, if that pleases you, but don't marinate until you are comfortable with how a good plain batch high meat, looks, smells, and tastes.
    I have never made a good batch from the counter top method. I think it is too quick. It needs more airing, but leaving it open leads to over drying. Fridge is easier to control. Even if you miss a day, just give it extra "air exchanges" until it smells right again.
know thyself and all of the mysteries of the gods and the universe will be revealed.
Oracle at Delphi

I grew and well I was;
Odin, who chose to be weak and hang form the tree of the world (the universe), to capture the Runes (wisdom), so he (omnipotent) grew...

Offline Polyvore

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 23, 2012, 03:00:08 pm »
I can finally identify a smell: it reminds me of rotting fish bones mixed in with rotten seaweed when I am at the beach. A little bit vinegary... but it is not fish, this is lambs heart!

Offline Adora

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 24, 2012, 12:21:15 am »
That doesn't sound bad, for high meat, but I'm eating lamb meat too and it is much more mild. Dumpsterish, but it low intensity. I don't feel better when the high meat is extra rotten so, I don't push myself to eat it when it is past my reasonably icky stage.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 06:50:03 am by TylerDurden »
Oracle at Delphi

I grew and well I was;

Offline Polyvore

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 27, 2012, 01:41:34 pm »
Now if you make a new batch, can you use the uncleaned jar of the old batch as a 'starter'?

Offline Adora

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 28, 2012, 11:06:48 am »
I have 4 batches going now. 2 beef (old and new), 1 chicken, and a lamb heart. I stir them all with the same fork daily, so that seems like it would be ok, or just adding fresh meat in as you go.
     Logically it seems good, but I like the clean jar idea. I clean kefir jars too. Also,  if your meat has been frozen in shipping it is very ammonia stink and black, not red and slimey. Having the culture may cover that.

Oracle at Delphi

I grew and well I was;

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 28, 2012, 11:25:47 am »
i cannot wait to get lamb heart! i am going to try and get some tomorrow
fermented and high lamb heart sounds like a great way for me to introduce myself to the new farm

Offline letsdoiteczema

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 13, 2012, 08:46:15 pm »
Hey guys, just wanted to share some tips:

Get rid of stink smell on your fingers/hand after touching high meat accidentally (or in my case, just holding the high meat jar makes my hand stink...)

- apply coconut oil on smelly areas and rub vigorously
- dump smelly fingers/hand into jar of ground coffee or liquid coffee that's cooled down (I have ground organic coffee because I was doing daily coffee enemas before. I have stopped for around 2 weeks) Coffee is a widely known deodorizer.

- washing with water is pretty useless
- I know most of us here realize the harmfulness of hand soaps etc. and do not use any man-made chemicals to wash
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 09:25:40 pm by letsdoiteczema »

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 14, 2012, 05:26:06 am »
adora and jessica, are you using pre-frozen heart? i'm not able to get any that is fresh, but i have some frozen. just that frozen meat doesn't taste the same high as fresh does... fresh is much much better. thanks!

Offline Polyvore

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: August 15, 2012, 10:45:52 am »
My first batch seems to be ready, it has been a month now and the smell has evolved as I stirred it around and it aged. It has a distinct smell I remember from fishing bays, old seaweed and rotting fish? Strange that it is like this when it is really lamb! I have not tried it yet, I hope I don't die...

Offline Chris

• Warrior
  • Each journey starts with a step
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 15, 2012, 04:55:03 pm »
adora and jessica, are you using pre-frozen heart? i'm not able to get any that is fresh, but i have some frozen. just that frozen meat doesn't taste the same high as fresh does... fresh is much much better. thanks!
I don't know about Jessica. But, Adora gets her Heart so fresh, it's actually still pumping when she picks it up.  ;)

Offline Adora

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 16, 2012, 09:31:15 am »
     Hi Polyvore I was terrified the first time I tried it. RawZi was on the phone with me. She walked/talked me through the whole thing. I did have a though but pleasnt cleans the first couple times. It still moves things nicely but gently now.
    RawZi has a group phone chat. She'd probably invite you to try you creation with her group and you can have support.

Ioanna I've never had any frozen meat come out right high. Have you?
I tried fish lots of times and it never seems right either. I gave up assuming it was because it was frozen in the ice below the ship when first caught.
      Prefrozen "high meat" gets moldy and dark. Fresh high red meat gets a deep red with a yellowish cream. Sounds nicer than it is, but I like my 1-3 peices, until it gets amoniona smell. I've been able to ditch the ammonia smell if I catch it quick and turn and air it more (2-3x/day) then its ripe dumpster smell again, which is what my body seems to like.
       I don't remember if I ate the black spotty Prefrozen stuff, if I did it wasn't much.
High heart is ok, not amazing. I like beef best. When I do make heart I trim all the fat, membrane, valves, etc down and expose the muscle; using only that.
     I think only muscle meat comes out right. What do others think? Has anybody tried high organs/glands? I want to make high pancrease. I don't have it yet though.

Chris -in my future it will be beating, but I haven't had that pleasure just yet. 
Oracle at Delphi

I grew and well I was;

Offline Polyvore

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 16, 2012, 06:18:14 pm »
Well Adora,

My meat is a dull gray with a yellow smear, the insides of a piece is still slightly dark pink.

Does this seem right? I have only been airing it once a day for a few minutes, and it is otherwise left in my cold garage. I didn't want to use the fridge as the bottle lid was slightly leaky and would make the whole fridge smell bad. I have missed a day or three of airing, but aired it twice the next day each time.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 10:56:55 pm by TylerDurden »

Offline Polyvore

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 20, 2012, 01:09:38 pm »
Oh no! I left my jar open for a few hours when I left it to air, and flies got into it... I am now assuming maggots will grow in the next few days, but I will still eat them, maggots and all. Maggots cannot do any harm can they? Older cultures eat maggots all the time, is the only reason people do not eat maggots because they are squirmy and yuck?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk