Author Topic: A quick introduction  (Read 6335 times)

Sentient Primate

A quick introduction
« on: August 07, 2008, 12:43:14 am »
Hello all,

:)

Firstly, many thanks to the Moderators for making this forum available. I've had a look through the posts, and find them very informative indeed. Great stuff. I hope I'll be able to contribute to the same high standard. That will be difficult, given the deep knowledge and wisdom you all show.

I've dabbled a bit with RAF up to this point, and like it. Now is the time to take things further. I have no trouble eating raw meat, offal, eggs, fish and so on. In fact I took to it like a duck to water, much to my delight. It just seems natural to eat that kind of thing.

I see there is a section on exercise and bodybuilding, which is great. I've been quite seriously ill for the last couple of years or so, and have lost a lot of weight and strength. I'm recovering quite nicely, and will soon be ready to resume training. I'm confident a paleolithic diet will assist me with that.

I'll sign off now, before this post takes on the proportions of a novel.

Highest regards,

Steve H

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: A quick introduction
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 12:48:44 am »
Welcome to the forum!
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline boxcarguy07

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 03:49:30 am »
Welcome Steve!!

Here's a to a speedy rest of your recovery and successful training after that!

Satya

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 03:57:08 am »
Welcome, Steve.  I think it's grand that you enjoy the raw animal foods from the start.  I think that it can be a major stumbling block for most people, and they have to transition slowly by cooking their foods less and less.  I have not mastered raw pork yet, but I do love the turkey jerky!  I am so pleased that I have ordered 6 turkeys from my local farmer this autumn.

What kinds of training/sport do you enjoy?  I do martial arts and running presently.  In the cold of winter I lift weights more rigorously.

Offline boxcarguy07

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 06:45:34 am »
Also, cool avatar, btw!
It certainly is beautiful Paleo art!

xylothrill

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 07:33:29 am »
Welcome Steve!

I wish you a speedier and full recovery. Ditto on the avatar.

Craig

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 05:49:02 pm »
The paintings, figurines and tools must mean that Paleo lives of ancestors can't have been all 'nasty, brutish & short'

“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline stevesurv

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 07:24:23 pm »
The paintings, figurines and tools must mean that Paleo lives of ancestors can't have been all 'nasty, brutish & short'

No way. They were beautiful. A little dirty maybe but I wish I could've witnessed their wonderful demeanor and magnificent health.

Offline boxcarguy07

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 08:20:06 pm »
I remember the "Venus of Willendorf" from my art history class... a figurine of a woman, I think one of if not the oldest sculpture we have record of. It's from c. 25,000-20,000 BCE

It's interesting, because you know no one looked like that back then!

Offline boxcarguy07

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2008, 08:29:21 pm »
Woah, I just came across this picture...

Wouldn't it be crazy is mushrooms like that influenced the above sculpture?

Whoops... looks as if the picture was removed or something
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 09:33:03 am by boxcarguy07 »

Satya

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2008, 09:07:48 pm »
Paleo art is indeed spectacularly beautiful. The colors, the free-flowing form, the textures...amazing. It wasn't only paintings either. They made wonderful figurines, too. And their knapped flint (and obsidian) tools were masterpieces, in my opinion. Have any of the members tried flint knapping? It is difficult, to put it mildly.

I'm going way off topic here....I'll get off my hobby horse.  ;D

Actually, I would think that primitive technologies would be quite on topic, especially as they concern procurement of food.  Any survival skills really could be considered part of the raw paleo lifestyle.  I have a book on primitive technologies and several of Tom Brown's survival books.  But I must confess that I have not put any of the information to practice.

Offline stevesurv

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2008, 05:39:32 am »
Hi all,

:)

Perhaps one might look to the surviving hunter/gatherer societies for some idea of what it might have been like for our Paleo ancestors. Certainly not all nasty, brutish and short (or all anything else). They would have had their challenges, and plenty of them. Being on the menu for an unfriendly fanged and clawed creature would certainly qualify as nasty and brutish.

I offer a description of their lives as being natural, wholesome, raw and real. I also offer the personal comment that I would sooner live such a life than the life of many people today...nasty, brutish and long.

Yes, they would have been fine specimens. Their joints were much stronger than ours. Their bones were denser. They routinely had beautiful teeth, housed in strong jaws. Diseases such as diabetes would have been so rare as to be discounted. I'll stop at this point.

However, I wouldn't glorify their existence...see my other comments above.

Highest wishes,

Steve H

That's right. They would be "fine specimens".  :D Don't worry. I'm not glorifying their existence, I'm simply recognizing them for who they were.  ::)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk