Author Topic: Your usual diets?  (Read 11133 times)

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
Your usual diets?
« on: July 21, 2010, 01:39:44 am »
Hello, I am new here and quite new to this whole raw-paleo diet, since I have only found out about it a few days ago, but I have been obsessing lately about researching a lot of this diet stuff on the internet.. Though unfortunately I am still currently on an SAD.

I am very interested in starting to eat as much raw as I possibly can, and as soon as I can, and I have no problems with eating things like meat and eggs raw.. I've always preferred to eat my steaks rare and longed to eat them raw, but of course was never allowed and had been afraid of becoming sick from eating them raw since I was always told I would.  Though, it hadn't stopped me from trying raw beef a few times, as well as eating eggs raw sometimes as well, when I was able to sneak it passed my family.  My preference of tastes has always leaned more towards animal foods, so this raw-carnivorous diet intrigues me the most.

However, I was wondering what most of your daily diets looks like, or weekly diet if you don't always eat the same things every day.  I know everyone's dietary needs are individual, but I am curious to know what all you carnivorous-RZCers include in your diets to keep from becoming too deficient in any essential nutrients.. like dietary fiber, which I believe is only found in plant-foods.
Also I wonder how you manage to keep from eating every few hours, especially since raw meat digests faster than cooked meat, and I may just have fast metabolism/digestion but when I eat anything other than meat, I am usually hungry again within a few hours, and things like fruits do nothing to even curb my hunger let alone satisfy it, no matter how much of it I eat.
Hi, I'm 32, around 5'4" and ~124lb, no real significant health problems other than hyperventilating when running/exercising (that my doc said was because of the smog/asthma), fatigue, and really bad acne.
I'd preferably be a carnivore/very low carb, but I have had a very hard time finding grass-fed or even organic fats, organs, and marrow. I consume raw dairy, but I do not eat much vegetables.. however, I do love fruit.
I live with my dad, so I also have to sneak any raw meat eating.

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: Your usual diets?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 04:11:26 am »
Fiber is not an essential nutrient, but a colon irritant.

I eat 1600-1700 calories on non-lifting days, 2000-2100 on lifting days. I am 5'4", female, 29, 13-15% BF ( I get it measured every 8 weeks ), high LBM.

I eat:

raw ground beef (80/20)
raw bone marrow
cooked eggs (whole) and egg yolks only
chicken livers, pan-seared
pan-seared country ribs, pork
pan-seared lamb shoulder
raw beef other than ground beef.

I don't eat all of these every day, but rotate them. I like limited variety of nutritional powerhouses. I am raw/rare ZC.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 04:15:31 am »
It's not just the digestion of the meat itself that keeps you warm and 'un-hungry', it's what's done with it once it's been absorbed. Your body makes a load of stuff, flushes other stuff, using what was in the meat which you absorbed... that's what keeps you from being hungry and makes you warm.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline mrz

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 04:40:03 am »
so who else here eats cooked meat

Offline actionhero

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 05:17:44 am »
deficient in fiber? Fiber is useless and hinders digestion and absorption of real food.

Trust me there's no hunger on ZC. You'll feel energetic and strong even on one meal a day.
A P E X   P R E D A T O R

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 07:09:20 am »
I love raw beef but also lightly cooked or rare pork/lamb, and I cannot abide raw egg yolks, so I cook eggs.

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 02:25:13 pm »
Thank you so much for all of your replies!

And sorry, I'm a newbie to all of this, I didn't know dietary fiber was not needed!
I was always told that it was very good for cleaning out your colon and stuff.

So, klowcarb, you eat a diet entirely of meat/marrow/liver/eggs?  You never eat any type of plant food whatsoever?  or dairy like milk?  Where do you get calcium from?

I am somewhat concerned about calcium/milk intake because I have always gotten horrible menstrual cramps for my entire life.. so bad that they leave me curled up in a ball unable to move or do anything by cry in pain.  But then I saw one of those "got milk?" commercials that stated milk helps with the symptoms of PMS.  I decided to try it out, and began drinking large quantities of milk, (though commercial, homogenized, pasteurized, vitamin d, whole "real California milk") especially in the days before I was supposed to begin menstruation, and it GREATLY reduced the pain I usually experienced, even sometimes to the point where cramps were non-existent!  

I know a lot of you think dairy shouldn't be included in the diet, but I don't want to leave it out and have those horrible cramp-pains to return, unless I can find a suitable alternative to reduce the pain.  I figured mostly that it was the calcium and vitamin D in milk which helped sooth the cramps, but I am not entirely sure.. unless I can find an alternative source of calcium to experiment with (while I can get vitamin D from the sun).

Alternatively, it might also be the cause of whatever hormones or whatever are used to treat the cow, though the label says the cows are not treated with.. rBST or something like that, but who knows what else they use.  I hope that isn't the case, because then I don't know what I could do to keep the pain away, and only hope that cooked food was instead the culprit and that a mostly raw diet can help with the pain.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 02:37:40 pm by Wolf »
Hi, I'm 32, around 5'4" and ~124lb, no real significant health problems other than hyperventilating when running/exercising (that my doc said was because of the smog/asthma), fatigue, and really bad acne.
I'd preferably be a carnivore/very low carb, but I have had a very hard time finding grass-fed or even organic fats, organs, and marrow. I consume raw dairy, but I do not eat much vegetables.. however, I do love fruit.

Online goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 03:30:10 pm »
This should abolish the fiber myth.

http://www.gutsense.org/
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 05:16:18 pm »
ah, thank you for the link.

so what about RPDers who eat a lot of vegetables?  I think most vegetables have fiber, so does that cause adverse health effects for them?

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 05:17:00 am »
So, klowcarb, you eat a diet entirely of meat/marrow/liver/eggs?  You never eat any type of plant food whatsoever?  or dairy like milk?  Where do you get calcium from?

Yes, meats, eggs, marrow and organs. No plant food save copious amounts of tea! No dairy, though I am not opposed to having butter. I don't worry about calcium, to be honest. I do weight-lifting, hike and walk regularly. I don't believe that link between calcium and bone health--in fact, studies have shown that those consuming the MOST dairy had  the HIGHEST incidences of bone fracture, but that is association as well. As for cramps, I think that is better cured by potassium pills rather than calcium.

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 01:38:15 pm »
Hm, I dunno, all I know is that the more milk I consumed, the less the pain of my cramps.. as for trying potassium, I'd rather get it from a natural source than a pill/supplement..

How about anyone else's diets, though?  I wanted to see what variety there is, but so far I've only been given one diet.

Offline Arthas_

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2010, 12:55:15 am »
My diet consists of basically ground lean meat eaten with medium-sized peaces of back fat. When available I eat some organic tomatoes, cucumbers and avocados. Once a week when I buy my meat I also buy some bones to get the marrow. It just lasts for one meal though. I can get hold of truly pastured chichen eggs once in a while too. I only eat the yolk though.

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2010, 06:58:50 am »
Where do you guys get your fat?  Can you only get it from like, a butcher?  Or is it possible to find it in a grocery store?  if it's in a store, what section is it usually in?  I never seen just fat by itself or any bone marrow, which I really really want to try.

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2010, 07:04:08 am »
Where do you live in the U.S., Wolf?

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2010, 10:34:00 pm »
In Southern California

Offline Cinna

• Bear Hunter
  • "dreamy/dreamer"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2010, 06:18:22 am »
In Southern California

Hi Wolf - is there no WFM (Whole Foods Market) near you?

Also, check out http://www.eatwild.com/ and http://www.texasgrassfedbeef.com/ if you haven't already - but that requires ordering/shipping, etc. and I don't know if that would work for you. Perhaps you can allocate a portion of your income - even if it's a small portion, start out with $5 week/month, then $10, then $20 - towards your raw animal food (that your dad wouldn't approve of)... that way, even if you still have to sneak your raw eating, you can feel good knowing that you have every right to consume the raw foods because you bought them.

Even if you aren't completely financially independent yet doesn't mean that you can't take tiny steps towards asserting your autonomy and responsibility to yourself - your health, how you want to live, how you choose to take care of yourself. It's ok to do this slowly - look at it as an adventure (even the sneaking around part) and it gets less frustrating and more fun. :)

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2010, 08:07:43 pm »
Thanks, I did look up where the nearest whole foods was, and it's too far away.  I've checked eatwild as well, and the nearest farm on the list is probably about 2 or 3 hours away from me, and that would be if there wasn't much traffic the entire way.. while the majority of the farms are in Northern California, which might as well be another state or two away.  Shipping wouldn't be a good idea, since I might be questioned by my dad, plus I have no where to store extra meat.

I have been spending some money to buy my own raw meat, but it seems like something I would only be able to buy once or twice a week, when I would prefer to be able to buy and eat it everyday.. plus I can't find any packages of less than a pound of meat, which I seem to be unable to eat all at once before I get home.

I've already mostly gone raw for the passed few days, with the most-cooked/most-processed foods that I've eaten being commercial ("real california") pasteurized/homogenized milk and commercial raw pasteurized(i think, maybe homogenized too) eggs, and then a mouthful or two of commercial cheddar cheese, and a bunch of commercial honey.  I did buy myself some raw wild honey, though, but I couldn't find any in the comb.

I'm not sure if I will be able to continue this diet for long, though, I've been pretty hungry still most of the time, and though I've had an increase in energy when I wake up or after I eat some raw eggs, I get really really hungry once I go to work (which is bad when I work around tempting and good smelling pizza all day) and then I also start to get really tired after a while.  I do feel a lot better after eating like this, though, and my skin and hair feels better, but I just don't have enough of this food to keep it up forever.  But I am definitely going to avoid any processed foods as much as I possibly can.

however I'm afraid that most of my nutrient and fat intake is mainly coming from the eggs, which I am now wishing I had a few of my own chickens, and which I resolve to buy my own chickens once I'm living on my own.. they're not terribly hard to take care of, my babysitter used to have some, and it'd be worth having them to know that my eggs are perfectly fresh, raw, and naturally fed.  I'd love to have my own cows, too, but that seems like it would be much too expensive to have enough cows to get milk from and be able to slaughter some when I need the meat, and have all the land for them to graze on grass and such.

Offline dsohei

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2010, 12:41:02 am »
you're 21? AND you live in the most progressive state in the US?
please grow a pair. get a better job and eat whatever you want!
the homogenized milk is probably the worst for you, and the commercial honey is real bad. at least cook the egg whites of the commercial eggs. you must have a farmer's market or something in your community unless you live in the desert badlands (in which case MOVE AWAY)
at the very least eat your necessary caloric requirements each day. eat a lot more wild fish if grass fed beef is too hard.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2010, 01:05:30 am »
Just keep dreaming and wishing..
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline dsohei

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2010, 01:16:48 am »
sometimes i think, "maybe i'm being perceived as too harsh..."
and then i read miles' posts.
ZING!

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2010, 01:30:11 am »
AND you live in the most progressive state in the US?
Hahaha.
You couldn't pay me to live in California. Some of their "progressive" moves are just plain ridiculous.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline dsohei

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2010, 01:33:49 am »
Hahaha.
You couldn't pay me to live in California. Some of their "progressive" moves are just plain ridiculous.

i wasn't talking politically. but as for being very tolerant/liberal and having a wide range of cultural opportunities, it's pretty amazing. some parts of it at least. for example it's still one of the only places where you can be outwardly and flamboyantly gay and be accepted for it.

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2010, 12:12:28 pm »
you're 21? AND you live in the most progressive state in the US?
please grow a pair. get a better job and eat whatever you want!
the homogenized milk is probably the worst for you, and the commercial honey is real bad. at least cook the egg whites of the commercial eggs. you must have a farmer's market or something in your community unless you live in the desert badlands (in which case MOVE AWAY)
at the very least eat your necessary caloric requirements each day. eat a lot more wild fish if grass fed beef is too hard.

i don't want to grow a pair, I'm a girl!! 
and it's not easy to find a job at all with the economy the way it's been, I'm lucky to even have the job I have now.. I was unemployed for about a year before I could finally find a new job.  I'm still going to college, too.
I've never heard of a farmer's market before, how would I find out if there's any around me?
also, just wondering why do you say I should cook the whites of my commercial eggs?
and I don't know about other parts of California, but around here it's been pretty difficult for me to find any good raw foods..

Offline dsohei

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2010, 01:18:28 pm »
hahha! my bad

grow a pair anyway! its double important for you!

now i have to check myself that i'm not treating you different just because you said you are female.
everyone needs to choose self-efficacy.

as for research... use teh intrenets and ask people locally. maybe you really do live in the bumfuck of california. all the more reason to work hard and become free.
if great raw food is too hard to get right now, a least do the best you can. read nourishing traditions by sally fallon and this forum, as well as other useful forums such as marks daily apple. even if you ate cooked paleo, you can still be VERY healthy short term.
others will disagree but life is flexible.

Offline Cinna

• Bear Hunter
  • "dreamy/dreamer"
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2010, 03:37:01 pm »
I've never heard of a farmer's market before, how would I find out if there's any around me?

Try this site: http://www.localharvest.org/

Girl, you're doing just fine... Nothing has to be "perfect" or 100%. All you can do is the best you can with the resources you have this very moment. And in time, you'll find more resources. Lots of little steps amount to great distance over time. Since you don't seem to have any pressing health emergencies, you can afford to be more patient with yourself. You're doing great.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk