Author Topic: Heart  (Read 5908 times)

Offline MoonStalkeR

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Heart
« on: July 26, 2010, 05:06:19 am »
I find heart to be a lot more palatable than muscle meat. It actually chews well and easier to digest. Would you think it's fine to consume 1-2 pounds of heart almost daily (mostly in place of muscle meat)? I would expect it to be safer since it's like muscle meat by composition and doesn't provide significant vitamin/mineral mega-doses.

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: Heart
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 07:14:40 am »
It'd be the safest organ to consume in quantities like that. Give it a shot and see how it is over time. I imagine it'll start to taste less desirable if you're getting too much. :)
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Nation

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 08:05:50 am »
It's very low in fat so you'll have to eat plenty of fat or carbs. How will you be able to get heart every day tho? Where i live, some supermarkets carry veal and lamb hearts but they don't have it every day, i suppose it'd be possible if i went to every supermarket/farmers in my region. Btw, heart has the most CoQ10 of any food/organ, 10x more than muscle meat iirc. Would you overdose if you ate heart everyday? Who knows.

"Symptoms of a CoQ10 Overdose
Almost no information is available about the possible symptoms of a CoQ10 overdose. In fact, it is not even known if an overdose is even possible. However, some overdose information can be assumed based on CoQ10 side effects and theoretical information about how CoQ10 works. Based on such information, it is reasonable to guess that a CoQ10 overdose might cause the following problems:

* Nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea
    * Loss of appetite
    * Heartburn
    * Low blood pressure (hypotension). "

Offline MoonStalkeR

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 08:51:10 am »
It'd be the safest organ to consume in quantities like that. Give it a shot and see how it is over time. I imagine it'll start to taste less desirable if you're getting too much. :)

Heart tastes good, and I do expect the taste to decline with increased consumption. It actually has a taste, most muscle meat seems near tasteless.

It's very low in fat so you'll have to eat plenty of fat or carbs. How will you be able to get heart every day tho? Where i live, some supermarkets carry veal and lamb hearts but they don't have it every day, i suppose it'd be possible if i went to every supermarket/farmers in my region. Btw, heart has the most CoQ10 of any food/organ, 10x more than muscle meat iirc. Would you overdose if you ate heart everyday? Who knows.

"Symptoms of a CoQ10 Overdose
Almost no information is available about the possible symptoms of a CoQ10 overdose. In fact, it is not even known if an overdose is even possible. However, some overdose information can be assumed based on CoQ10 side effects and theoretical information about how CoQ10 works. Based on such information, it is reasonable to guess that a CoQ10 overdose might cause the following problems:

* Nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea
    * Loss of appetite
    * Heartburn
    * Low blood pressure (hypotension). "
I wouldn't dine on heart alone, of course I'd eat extra fat and other meats, but I would make it my main meal. I can order it in bulk and store in my freezer. Perhaps a pound of heart every other day can be fine...

I didn't know about the CoQ10 content of meat, thanks.

Offline Paleo Donk

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 09:10:59 am »
I've eaten several hearts the last 6 months but I would be wary of consuming too much and definitely be paying attention to how I feel. I do like the texture and find it easy to eat though I prefer the muscle cuts a bit more. As for the fat, the actual heart itself is extremely lean but I find that every heart I get has quite a bit of suet attached to it which is at least 4 times as calorie dense as the heart muscle. I happen to think the heart suet tastes fantastic and is also easy to eat.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 09:40:57 am »
I find heart to be a lot more palatable than muscle meat. It actually chews well and easier to digest. Would you think it's fine to consume 1-2 pounds of heart almost daily (mostly in place of muscle meat)? I would expect it to be safer since it's like muscle meat by composition and doesn't provide significant vitamin/mineral mega-doses.

You would have to listen to your instincts for that.

I like heart from time to time.  Maybe once a month.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline MoonStalkeR

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 10:42:43 am »
I've eaten several hearts the last 6 months but I would be wary of consuming too much and definitely be paying attention to how I feel. I do like the texture and find it easy to eat though I prefer the muscle cuts a bit more. As for the fat, the actual heart itself is extremely lean but I find that every heart I get has quite a bit of suet attached to it which is at least 4 times as calorie dense as the heart muscle. I happen to think the heart suet tastes fantastic and is also easy to eat.

Do you eat beef heart? Have you tried going in for others?

You would have to listen to your instincts for that.

I like heart from time to time.  Maybe once a month.

Yeah, I would expect my instincts to guide me in eating heart (provided they're not corrupted too much). Instincts did guide me well with liver.

Offline Michael

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 05:20:40 am »
I've been eating lamb's heart over the last year or two and must agree that it's the most agreeable of the organs.  Perhaps that's because it's actually a muscle itself?  I rarely eat it alone but find it adds an appealing depth of flavour to my main muscle meat meals.   I haven't researched it's composition extensively but believe it's safe to eat in reasonable quantities unlike liver which needs to be restricted due to risk of Vitamin A or copper toxicity.

Another bonus is that it's incredible cheap.  I think I pay around UKĀ£3 per kilo.  I order a couple of kilos every two or three weeks which is consumed over this period.  I've had no issues with consuming this quantity.

As for the fat, the actual heart itself is extremely lean but I find that every heart I get has quite a bit of suet attached to it which is at least 4 times as calorie dense as the heart muscle. I happen to think the heart suet tastes fantastic and is also easy to eat.

I've always thought that the hearts I've been getting were quite high in fat Paleo Donk.  The thick areas of yellowish/whiteish fat on the hearts I get do seem to be part of the heart itself and isn't something that I could detach separately.  Is this the same as the suet you described?  Likewise, I find this easy to eat and most palatable.
1. When offered something that is too good to be true. It is.
2. Greed and fear are poor states of mind in which to make decisions; like shopping at the supermarket when you are hungry.
3. Exponential growth is mathematically unsustainable.

Offline Paleo Donk

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 06:08:51 am »
The hearts I get are always 'unraveled' and look like this.

Yes, the fat(suet I believe) is attached directly to the muscle meat. I don't know if this fat is technically considered heart or what not. It doesn't matter to me as long as the hearts I get keep coming with it attached. The actual muscle part of the heart is extremely lean and has virtually no fat dispersed inside it. Looking at the USDA nutrient database its marked as 18% protein and 4% fat which is different from normal lean beef muscle meat which is around 23% protein and 3% fat. This means heart has more water in it and I would guess(so easily could be wrong!) this is because the lean part is actually completely lean and free of fat whereas the muscle cuts actually have some intramuscular fat dispersed inside it. The heart is deep red, more monochromatic with no white in it whatsoever. Of course the fat part of the heart is likely to weigh quite a bit more than the 4% reported by the usda but perhaps the heart they used was trimmed up quite a bit from what is sold.

Offline Nation

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 06:10:53 pm »
such a pretty picture. This forum needs a section or thread with pics only of their food.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk