Author Topic: Natural Eyesight Improvement  (Read 22134 times)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Natural Eyesight Improvement
« on: August 07, 2008, 03:08:18 am »
Keith, you might consider trying the Bates Method(there's some info if you google). I don't guarantee its effects but it , at the very least, does reduce strain on your eyes.

Interesting reading re your journey to a RAF-diet. It seems a majority tend to go through a Raw Vegan/Fruitarian phase prior to going RAF.

I also got rid of most of my gas/farting when I went rawpalaeo(provided I didn't eat too many raw carbs).
Was that raw-meat-eating bodybuilder a "Randy Roach", by any chance?

As regards reading references re raw-meat-eating and mentions of disgust:- I've noticed, more and more, certain (non-diet-related) forums where my alter-ego, "RawPaleoGuy"/ "PaleoGuy" on allexperts.com, gets routinely lambasted for recommending "slimy" High-Meat.

*Anyway, my hope is that this board of forums will eventually become a true, extensive resource-/info-page that any RAF-newbie can access(free-of-charge!).*
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 03:15:12 am by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline boxcarguy07

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 04:09:35 am »
Keith, you might consider trying the Bates Method(there's some info if you google). I don't guarantee its effects but it , at the very least, does reduce strain on your eyes.

Interesting reading re your journey to a RAF-diet. It seems a majority tend to go through a Raw Vegan/Fruitarian phase prior to going RAF.

I also got rid of most of my gas/farting when I went rawpalaeo(provided I didn't eat too many raw carbs).
Was that raw-meat-eating bodybuilder a "Randy Roach", by any chance?

As regards reading references re raw-meat-eating and mentions of disgust:- I've noticed, more and more, certain (non-diet-related) forums where my alter-ego, "RawPaleoGuy"/ "PaleoGuy" on allexperts.com, gets routinely lambasted for recommending "slimy" High-Meat.

*Anyway, my hope is that this board of forums will eventually become a true, extensive resource-/info-page that any RAF-newbie can access(free-of-charge!).*

Yeah, I've looked into the Bates method... but I've read in his book, in his own very words, he says that if you cannot throw out your glasses altogether then his program will not work for you. You must be completely committed to living without any corrective lens while you are doing his program. I simply cannot go without my glasses at all times. Driving at night would be extremely dangerous and there's no way I could read the board during classes, and things like this.

And I had no idea "RawPaleoGuy" was you! I've read stuff by him (you) before, such as the Q&A's on yahoo, but never knew that you and he were one and the same! How very interesting!

And no, it was not Randy Roach. His name is Paul Lundkvist... his sn on bodybuilding.com is rawlife, and turns out he has a website: http://www.paullundkvist.com/4436.html
It is to him I owe my decision to eat raw animal foods.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 04:23:15 am »
I agree re Bates Method - I have heard claims re some people improving eyesight even while still wearing glasses, but it was, admittedly, a 1000 times more difficult.

Re Lundqvist:- Yes, I noticed that guy's website and posted about it on my rawpaleodiet yahoo group. But Randy Roach is the true master of raw-meat bodybuilding, IMO, and has a book out soon(or now?) on the history of bodybuilding including the history of its nutrition(many bodybuilders, before the lethal steroid-use  era, used to go in for raw meat diets).
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 04:33:40 am by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline boxcarguy07

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 04:46:17 am »
Ah yes, I think I've read that. It was extremely interesting!
I'll go check right now to make sure that what I read is actually what you're talking about

Edit:

What I read was this: http://www.westonaprice.org/men/splendidspecimens.html
which was in fact written by Randy Roach. But it seems as if he's written a book called Muscle, Smoke & Mirrors, which is much more comprehensive
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 04:49:37 am by boxcarguy07 »

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 05:07:44 am »
Yes, that's the one.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 05:40:00 am »
Yeah, I've looked into the Bates method... but I've read in his book, in his own very words, he says that if you cannot throw out your glasses altogether then his program will not work for you. You must be completely committed to living without any corrective lens while you are doing his program. I simply cannot go without my glasses at all times. Driving at night would be extremely dangerous and there's no way I could read the board during classes, and things like this.

And I had no idea "RawPaleoGuy" was you! I've read stuff by him (you) before, such as the Q&A's on yahoo, but never knew that you and he were one and the same! How very interesting!

And no, it was not Randy Roach. His name is Paul Lundkvist... his sn on bodybuilding.com is rawlife, and turns out he has a website: http://www.paullundkvist.com/4436.html
It is to him I owe my decision to eat raw animal foods.

Two things, first being that I have a book about the Bates method where you can continue to wear corrective lenses. It's called Relearning to See by Thomas R. Quackenbush. I wanted to try the method too because I'm myopic. Maybe we can both try it and keep tabs on our progress? I think that might be the only way to keep me honest about daily practice.

Second is that I know Paul Lundkvist and if you'd like I can pm you his email. He lives in Sweden now so far as I know and last I heard he was starting a raw kombucha business there.

Offline boxcarguy07

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 05:51:07 am »
Hey, that sounds like an idea!
I just looked at the book on Amazon, and it got nothing but good reviews!
Someone even said that there are no exercises, but just things that you practice 24/7?
Do you know if that's true? Because honestly with going back to college in a couple weeks I don't know if I could spare an extra hour a day devoted to eye exercises.

As for the email address, I've PMed Paul back and forth a couple times on the bodybuilding forums. Last I heard from him he was on vacation.
So thanks, but I don't think I need his email  :)
That's really cool that you know him though, small world! How'd you meet if you don't mind me asking?

Offline PaleoKyle

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 06:25:37 am »
Maybe starting a thread about natural eye improvement would be good. I have been using the book by Quackenbush for over a year now, with great improvement in my eyesight. The thing that got me to ditch my glasses and contacts was the fact that they rob your eyes of healthy UV rays. He does stress going as much as you can without wearing your glasses, but not like Bates.

Offline boxcarguy07

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 06:32:00 am »
Yeah, I make sure to get some outside time without my glasses on as much as possible so that my eyes can get those UV rays...
in fact, a couple weeks ago I was taking walks outside without my glasses on each day, and it seemed as if my eyesight was just a bit sharper because of them. But it would go back to how it was after putting on my glasses again. Sometimes I'll even look right into the sun if it's early or late enough.
I've also noticed that colors are SO much brighter and more intense when I'm not wearing my glasses.

I already make sure to focus my eyes on something far away for a few seconds if I'm focused on something right in front of me (like the computer!) for more than a few minutes at a time.
I have some weird form of astigmatism. I have big problems with details and I can't read a single letter other than the big "E" on an eye chart.

xylothrill

Re: Natural Eyesight Improvement
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2008, 04:16:01 pm »
Maybe starting a thread about natural eye improvement would be good. I have been using the book by Quackenbush for over a year now, with great improvement in my eyesight. The thing that got me to ditch my glasses and contacts was the fact that they rob your eyes of healthy UV rays. He does stress going as much as you can without wearing your glasses, but not like Bates.

I've split and moved the topic.  :)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2008, 05:26:00 pm »
Someone even said that there are no exercises, but just things that you practice 24/7?
Do you know if that's true? Because honestly with going back to college in a couple weeks I don't know if I could spare an extra hour a day devoted to eye exercises.

As for the email address, I've PMed Paul back and forth a couple times on the bodybuilding forums. Last I heard from him he was on vacation.
That's really cool that you know him though, small world! How'd you meet if you don't mind me asking?

The Bates Method/Quackenbush methods don't work if you view them as exercises. They should be seen as habits/techniques  that you practise all the time, without really thinking about it. I think that's part of the reason why I didn't succeed with the Bates Method, because I devoted 30 to 60 minutes a day to it, but didn't follow the habits the rest of the time. Still, some of the techniques such as palming have been very effective in other ways.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2008, 11:47:15 pm »

I'm gonna look at some of the first "habits" and try and do them. One of them is to move your head back and forth a lot while looking around and not stare at stuff. I feel a little self conscious about it, but I'll give it a try.

As for Paul I met him on the rawfood.com forums back when I was a raw vegan and he was the only RAFer there. Basically my views approached his over the coarse of a couple of years and we talked a lot once I started on raw animal foods.

Offline akaikumo

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2008, 07:37:47 am »
I have multiple images.. or I guess it's formally called polyopia. It's worst with LED lights, text, and light colors on a dark background. I also supposedly have astigmatism (although my doctor didn't understand the polyopia thing so I kind of doubt his competence :P), and am slightly near-slighted.

I haven't read this, although I've thought about it a few times.  Didn't see the link to the wikibooks for it posted, so I thought i would: http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Perfect_Sight_Without_Glasses
And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. - Anais Nin

rawrock2

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2008, 08:44:43 am »
For a long time, I have been thinking about just simply not using my glasses anymore.  That's it.  Just take them off and don't put them back on.  With me going back on the raw paleo diet, maybe my vision will just correct itself....

Offline PaleoKyle

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2008, 09:24:37 am »
For a long time, I have been thinking about just simply not using my glasses anymore.  That's it.  Just take them off and don't put them back on.  With me going back on the raw paleo diet, maybe my vision will just correct itself....

It probably would correct its self to some degree. I do think that you would need to take measures to help it all the way. I tossed my contacts over a year ago and though my vision is not perfect yet, it does not register to me that there is any blur unless I think about it. My vision is not all that bad now, altough I bet if the average Joe would walk outside and see through my eyes they would have a panic attack.....relaxation is also a key to improving sight.

I may not be able to read the smaller print on street advertisements, but I think I am much better off not knowing what it says. I also find that things are easier to see and that there is less blur when I am in a more natural environment.....again relaxation.

Offline boxcarguy07

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2008, 10:04:39 am »
I really would like to lose my glasses as much as possible, but my vision is just so bad!
I'm sitting like two feet away from my screen and I couldn't read a single word on here if it weren't for my glasses.
I wouldn't be able to tell who someone was from a distance while walking outside if I didn't have them on.
I certainly wouldn't be able to read anything up on the board in class without them.
 :'(

Is there any difference between contacts and glasses when it comes to this? I'd like to get contacts instead of glasses but I'm worried they might be even worse than glasses for your eyes.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2008, 05:52:37 pm »
I really would like to lose my glasses as much as possible, but my vision is just so bad!
I'm sitting like two feet away from my screen and I couldn't read a single word on here if it weren't for my glasses.
I wouldn't be able to tell who someone was from a distance while walking outside if I didn't have them on.
I certainly wouldn't be able to read anything up on the board in class without them.

Is there any difference between contacts and glasses when it comes to this? I'd like to get contacts instead of glasses but I'm worried they might be even worse than glasses for your eyes.
There's a very expensive process called "orthokeratology" where you buy specially-designed contact-lenses which reform your eyebal so that you can see perfectly at full vision. Trouble is, you have to insert them into your eyes every night and take them off every morning - should you forget to do this, after 2-3 days, your vision goes back to short- or long-sightedness, as applicable. Don't lose the lenses as they are so expensive. Bates Method practitioners state, though, that the Bates Method doesn't work with orthokeratology, as such. Have a look at the Bates Method yahoo group re all this.
" Ron Paul.

William

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2008, 11:43:01 pm »

My eyesight is like yours, practically blind without glasses.
Many years ago I tried contact lenses, my eyesight improved.
Could not continue, as they irritated the eyes, but I think they are better made now.

Offline boxcarguy07

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2008, 12:30:31 am »
well, my glasses broke yesterday. Snapped right in half...

So i've been going without them. I couldn't read the board in class lol...
I took them to an eye doctor place that does repairs, but my glasses were titanium and couldn't be soldered (sp?) and they didn't have any frames that my lenses would fit in.

So, who knows. Maybe I'll keep just not wearing my glasses hoping that my eyesight will improve. Most likely I will get new glasses or contacts.

Offline boxcarguy07

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2008, 04:24:19 am »
OK, so I got a replacement pair of glasses but I think I'm only going to use them when ABSOLUTELY necessary. I changed the font size on my computer to extra large so i could read it without glasses and without my face up to the screen, but it's still really blurry.

So does anyone have any thoughts on what the best natural eyesight improvement method is?
Bates? Quackenbush? Mercola has a vision course as well.

I'll check out that orthokeratology thing as well... but if it's expensive I doubt it'll happen

Satya

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2008, 05:02:49 am »
I don't have ideas, but I was wondering if you experienced any headaches from glasses withdrawal.

Offline boxcarguy07

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2008, 06:46:20 am »
I had the tiniest hint of a headache for a very short time a little while after my glasses broke and I was unable to wear them. Really, it was nothing. However, today I've felt very tired and worn out, and my eyes feel heavy. It's not like me to feel tired... mostly since going raw paleo I've been all energy.

Offline PaleoKyle

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2008, 08:49:47 am »
OK, so I got a replacement pair of glasses but I think I'm only going to use them when ABSOLUTELY necessary. I changed the font size on my computer to extra large so i could read it without glasses and without my face up to the screen, but it's still really blurry.

So does anyone have any thoughts on what the best natural eyesight improvement method is?
Bates? Quackenbush? Mercola has a vision course as well.

I'll check out that orthokeratology thing as well... but if it's expensive I doubt it'll happen

I have about 4 or 5 books on the subject and I really think quackenbush nails it. I do not have perfect sight, but it has improved greatly. You should look into getting reduced prescription glasses that way you can improve your sight and still be able to function.

Offline boxcarguy07

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2008, 09:03:39 am »
Thanks... from reading the reviews of Quackenbush on amazon.com it seems like good stuff. I think I'll buy it soon. And yeah, thanks for reminding me about the reduced prescription idea.
I just don't know how reduced is a good amount of reduced. Is it common to ask for this? I can't help but think whatever eye doctor I go to will try and talk me out of it.

Satya

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2008, 09:41:20 am »
Yeah, it's iffy if you need glasses for driving - would you be liable in an accident if you were not wearing full prescription?  You could always keep that pair in the car.  (I almost studied law, but I like the straightforwardness of engineering best.)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk