Author Topic: Is it ok when butchers at supermarkets take the meat in the back to cut it?  (Read 2657 times)

Offline bharminder

• Elder
    • View Profile
Just wondering if that is standard etiquette for butchers, if you ask for a smaller cut then the one displayed that its normal for them to take it in the back and cut it rather than cut it right in front of you.

Sincerely,
Bobby

Offline maxscan

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
Don't know about the States but at my butchers they do that some of the time, other times not - they've got a couple of cutting tables at the far end of the shop so they usually use those but sometimes they go get a smaller bit out of the fridge or whatever. I guess depends on how much you trust them in general - if you've got a bad feeling then maybe worth finding another butcher anyway as they might be labelling things creatively or whatever so even if they cut it in front of you you couldn't be sure...

That said, round here butchers are pretty rare and they have to compete with supermarkets so they usually go the extra mile for customers in my experience...

Offline Alan

• Trapper
    • View Profile
Re: Is it ok when butchers at supermarkets take the meat in the back to cut it?
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 01:29:25 pm »
butchers must obey strict regulations about when and where meat is cut.  If there is a cutting surface in front of them upon which poultry was cut, they cannot thereafter cut beef on it without a complete legal washdown.

Meatcutting under sanitary rules, is a batch-mode operation

Offline Brother

• Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Is it ok when butchers at supermarkets take the meat in the back to cut it?
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 10:05:32 pm »
Just wondering if that is standard etiquette for butchers, if you ask for a smaller cut then the one displayed that its normal for them to take it in the back and cut it rather than cut it right in front of you.

Sincerely,
Bobby

I wont eat anything that comes out of our supermarkeds. Again and again one of our snoopdog investigative journalist programs has outed how they treat the meat and cheat with everything they can. The local butcher is more expensive, but atleast I can tell he is a craftsman who take great pride in his work. I can go in and ask for rib-eye and he tells me to go for the cheaper farmsteak cuts because they are better that day in his oppinion.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk