Author Topic: Raw wild salmon livers  (Read 5953 times)

Offline needs_and_wants

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
Raw wild salmon livers
« on: August 04, 2010, 04:05:32 pm »
Are raw wild salmon livers safe to eat? Thinking of asking the local fishmongers to keep me some instead of binning them. Have heard for some reason they're meant to be dodgy though. You never usually hear of salmon livers, just cod. Is it parasites, vit A toxicity? Am going to freeze for a week before I eat them anyways just to be safe. Also thinking of asking for the skin for fats.
feel, beyond the limitations of the mind, through the eyes of the soul

CitrusHigh

Re: Raw wild salmon livers
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 09:04:35 pm »
Well i've noticed tons of parasites on the packaging of fresh cod at the local grocer so it's probably not superior to salmon in that respect. However it would probably be a lot of work to hold the livers back from the rest of the guts so the fisherman might not be intersted in that, or you may have to pay a convenience fee or something. I can't tell you how many time's, while asking for unusual cuts that the butcher has said to me "well I gotta make sure it's worth my while" or something to that effect.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 09:17:58 pm »
... You never usually hear of salmon livers, just cod. Is it parasites, vit A toxicity? ... Also thinking of asking for the skin for fats.

I think cod is a type of fish that has insoluble vitamins in its liver and dry meat. Salmon a type that has fatty meat and dry liver. I think the best vitamin D in salmon is just under the skin, where it's even fatier.  Salmon as animals are reported have more vitamin D than most foods. I have also read about salmon oil as a vitamin supplement. It's medically prescribed in nasal spray form for very sick weak people with weak bones, as MDs know they can't tolerate phosamax(tm).
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 09:24:01 pm by RawZi »
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline bharminder

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 01:50:51 pm »
Hey I've never tried salmon livers, but I want to. If I had access to it I would eat it if it was previously frozen or I'd freeze it myself for a while.

CitrusHigh

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 10:16:20 am »
RawZi, that is funny that you would say that. Do you say that with the knowledge that raw fermented cod liver oil is the go-to source of vitamin D for the weston A price foundation?

I'm just curious because during the winter here I take Fermented CLO to keep my vitamin D up, I also get plenty of pastured foods but I find I do best with the FCLO included.

The reason I'm interested is because if there's something I should know about CLO I want to hear it. Thanks!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk