Author Topic: storing eggs at room temp?  (Read 5563 times)

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
storing eggs at room temp?
« on: August 05, 2010, 07:03:43 am »
I got eggs from the farmer today. They've never been refrigerated. I think AV wrote that once eggs are refrigerated to keep them that way, but otherwise leave them out at room temp?  for how long?.. at some point they will keep longer in the fridge, I'm just not sure how long that is?

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
Re: storing eggs at room temp?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 08:26:09 am »
I know eggs last for a long time out the fridge. I think once they turn it's pretty easy to notice. I haven't had eggs for ages will have to try again.
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline tdister

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 08:36:42 am »
I've never gone longer than 2 weeks unrefrigerated as I don't keep a bigger supply. They were fine and I'd feel ok going longer. They had been refrigerated before.

The only thing i've noticed here and there is that the yolks may get a bit weaker as they age.

Offline Sitting Coyote

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 08:59:56 am »
I've left eggs out on the counter for a month without problems.  The whites and yolks do get a little more runny, but I've eaten them anyway and never had an adverse reaction.

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 09:50:17 am »
I took a backpacking course and they mentioned long lasting foods that you can bring with. They told me eggs are good for up to six weeks at room temperature.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 05:06:57 pm »
I think I read somewhere that refrigerating raw eggs actually makes them last less long. It's a purely american concept as raw eggs don't get chilled in the UK.

*I've kept raw eggs out of the fridge for at least 2 weeks, here in the UK. I'm sure I could keep them for quite a bit longer without issues, though.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 05:16:55 pm by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 05:15:15 pm »
In our experience here in our tropical climate, fresh eggs need to be consumed in 1 week.
Anything more than that and we put the eggs in the refrigerator to avoid spoilage.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 06:03:27 pm »
I've eaten eggs that I kept in room temperateres for over a half of the year and they were great.
I find several-months-old eggs better than fresh ones.
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2010, 07:50:46 pm »
    I never refrigerate eggs, haven't since I was a kid.  I get my eggs straight from chickens now, so they've never been refrigerated.  I don't know how it is in each of the countries, I know some, their stores never refrigerate eggs.  I've been in the United states much of my life and all of my animal food eating life.  None of the stores that I know of in the US don't refrigerate the eggs, it may be a law.  I have noticed though that keeping the eggs in a cool basement as opposed to a more living level, the amount of time the eggs stay the same varies.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline maxscan

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2010, 11:38:09 pm »
I read up on this as I was confused that eggs were stored unrefrigerated in the supermarket but on the box it says to store them refrigerated when you get them home...

Basically, the explanation I found was that eggs are quite sensitive to changes in temperature and so in a supermarket, which is typically air conditioned and at a constant temperature, it is fine to keep eggs unrefrigerated, however when you get them home, because most homes aren't refrigerated and you might, for example, put them in a cupboard next to the oven or boiler or whatever, the advice is to refrigerate them because that's the closest thing to a temperature controlled environment.

This would fit with what AV says in that refrigerating the eggs and then removing them would be a couple of big fast temperature changes. That said I always keep mine in a cupboard that is not near anything that gives off heat so I think they stay pretty constant or temperature changes are very gradual.

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2010, 04:40:10 am »
My dad keeps our eggs refrigerated, but I'll usually take them out and leave them in my room for up to a day or two, or at least until they become room temperature before I eat them, and I haven't had any bad effects from it.
Hi, I'm 32, around 5'4" and ~124lb, no real significant health problems other than hyperventilating when running/exercising (that my doc said was because of the smog/asthma), fatigue, and really bad acne.
I'd preferably be a carnivore/very low carb, but I have had a very hard time finding grass-fed or even organic fats, organs, and marrow. I consume raw dairy, but I do not eat much vegetables.. however, I do love fruit.
I live with my dad, so I also have to sneak any raw meat eating.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk