Author Topic: Cod Liver Oil  (Read 9537 times)

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
Cod Liver Oil
« on: August 07, 2010, 12:21:15 am »
I've been hearing a lot about cod liver oil in this site, and other sites too, and I've been wanting to get it lately but I checked like 5 different stores and none of them had it..!  except for the very last store I checked, I finally found it and I was so happy, until I saw that they were in gel caps.. although, I don't know about the rest of you who take cod liver oil, if you take them in pills or if you just have the pure oil?  I usually heard mentioned that you guys take a "spoonful" of it rather than taking "# of pills", so I had assumed it was in a pure oil form, but I don't know for sure.  Do you guys have it in pills or pure oil?  and if you guys have the pure oil, should I try to avoid swallowing the gel caps and just chew out the pure oil instead?  or are the gel caps harmless?  on the ingredients it says "Cod Liver Oil, Gelatin, Glycerin." and I'm not sure about the gelatin and glycerine..

Also, about how much of it should I take a day?  The bottle recommends taking only one pill daily, but it seems like there's hardly any oil in one pill, I think they're only 415mg each.. would it be okay to take 2 a day?  especially if I chew the oil out of the pill, because a little bit of the oil stays stuck inside.. not very much though, maybe like half a drop.
Hi, I'm 32, around 5'4" and ~124lb, no real significant health problems other than hyperventilating when running/exercising (that my doc said was because of the smog/asthma), fatigue, and really bad acne.
I'd preferably be a carnivore/very low carb, but I have had a very hard time finding grass-fed or even organic fats, organs, and marrow. I consume raw dairy, but I do not eat much vegetables.. however, I do love fruit.
I live with my dad, so I also have to sneak any raw meat eating.

Offline MoonStalkeR

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Cod Liver Oil
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 12:35:23 am »
What brand did you find? If you can't find a non-capsule form it's best to chew the oil out. That's what I do  8)

I do 2 capsules a day, although I would increase the amount if I didn't eat grass-fed meat and wildcaught fish regularly.

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 01:04:54 am »
uhhh, it's Nature's Bounty Omega-3 Norwegian Cod Liver Oil.
Hi, I'm 32, around 5'4" and ~124lb, no real significant health problems other than hyperventilating when running/exercising (that my doc said was because of the smog/asthma), fatigue, and really bad acne.
I'd preferably be a carnivore/very low carb, but I have had a very hard time finding grass-fed or even organic fats, organs, and marrow. I consume raw dairy, but I do not eat much vegetables.. however, I do love fruit.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 01:48:39 am »
The only genuinely raw cod liver oil I have ever heard of is the one from Blue Ice which is fermented. Only go for that, it's in liquid form.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 02:57:05 am »
this was the only kind i could find, though..

Offline Rob

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 10:48:56 pm »
OK, so if using the Blue Ice, what is the recommended daily consumption? That stuff is pricy.

I am eating grass fed beef for most of my food, so I'd love to hear recommended amounts in that context as well.

Offline Michael

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 05:46:12 am »
The Blue Ice / Green Pastures CLO used to state the quantities of Vit D etc per ml on the bottle but no longer does unfortunately.  I seem to recall reading on their website/blog that this was due to the natural and, therefore, unpredictable content in this regard.

Of course, recommended dosage is going to be an individual matter as it needs to consider one's exposure to sunlight, diet, other forms of supplementation, time of year etc.

Personally, I take a 5ml shot daily or, more accurately, when I remember which is probably 3 or 4 times per week.  I do take the aforementioned factors into consideration with my frequency of dose also.  I'm also eating 100% grass-fed / grass-finished meat/fat and occasional fish or seafood.

As Tyler mentioned, this is the ONLY raw CLO and in addition to it's other minimal processing techniques is, therefore, certainly the only one that I would recommend.  After years of searching, I was extremely happy when Green Pastures commenced production of this wonderful oil!  :) 

Yes, it's rather expensive but, put into context, it's worth every penny!  If finances are such a pressing issue then one may be better served looking at other sources of the nutrients CLO provides.

1. When offered something that is too good to be true. It is.
2. Greed and fear are poor states of mind in which to make decisions; like shopping at the supermarket when you are hungry.
3. Exponential growth is mathematically unsustainable.

Offline Rob

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 07:45:21 am »
Finances are only an issue in that I have a $350/month supplement regimen as it is now, and I am starting to feel a little stretched thinly. The supplements I am taking are prescribed by my naturopath. $44 is only a lot if I need 4-6 bottle per month. If a bottle actually lasts for a month, then it is not so bad.

I am definitely vitamin D deficient (I am frequently tested, as I am aggressively supplementing).

Anyone have any thoughts about Mercola's claim that only Carleson's has the right ratios of Vitamin A to Vitamin D of all the CLO on the market?

5ml per day means a bottle would last 2 months. That's cheap in my book. I'll try it when my Carleson's runs out.

Offline abbycat

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 10:30:52 am »
What about the brand by Quantum Labs........premier labs? They seem to have a good cod liver oil....
anyone try that one? Is it fairly easy to digest.......at least get down without gagging?

Offline tdister

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 02:03:57 pm »
Finances are only an issue in that I have a $350/month supplement regimen as it is now, and I am starting to feel a little stretched thinly. The supplements I am taking are prescribed by my naturopath. $44 is only a lot if I need 4-6 bottle per month. If a bottle actually lasts for a month, then it is not so bad.

I am definitely vitamin D deficient (I am frequently tested, as I am aggressively supplementing).

Anyone have any thoughts about Mercola's claim that only Carleson's has the right ratios of Vitamin A to Vitamin D of all the CLO on the market?

5ml per day means a bottle would last 2 months. That's cheap in my book. I'll try it when my Carleson's runs out.

If I may ask, what kind of vitamin D supplements are you taking? Just wanted to make sure you are aware of the difference between D3 and D2. Synthetic/D2 isn't completely useless but it's far inferior to D3 found in CLO and other food sources and not worth paying for from what I have gathered. I'm actually getting kind of wary of most any non-food supplement

As for the Fermented CLO, it really seems to be the best thing going. It is nasty, especially at the beginning, but it only last for a few seconds and I am starting to get accustomed to it. I got the unflavored liquid version as suggested. I like to think of it as training in case Fear Factor comes back.

I know some people say to steer clear of glycerin, especially for those with candida, leaky gut or autoimmune issues but I'm not sure what amounts matter. I just got liquid so i know if it's rancid, I'm unsure if the process leaves it 100% raw and gel caps are way more expensive, usually.

FYI, I believe 2ml is the suggested dose. I've been taking 3 ml with an occasional 2nd dose in the evening.

Offline Rob

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2010, 08:39:20 pm »
I am using supplemetns under the direct care of a competent naturopath, so I am taking D3. Though he has a track record of success treating people with adrenal fatigue with his supplement based approach, I agree, and I would like to get healthy enough to get off of them. I don't yet have the courage to just stop them on my own, as I don't quite fear them the way I do the heavy duty pharmaceuticals. If I could find a practitioner who was interested in working with me without prescribing $350/month in pharmaceuticals, but wanted me to spend that money on better food, I'd be there in an instant.

Oops, uh, I mean CLO is probably better for you raw. Sorry for the thread hijack.

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2010, 01:57:52 am »
What about getting vitamin D from the sun?

And lol, I don't mind the subject change, talk about whatever you want.

My CLO is probably not very raw and it comes in the gelcaps, but I chew the liquid out.  I don't really like the taste of the oil, it's pretty fishy tasting, although it's not unbearable and I can't see gagging on it.  But I don't know if might have been heated or not, and if it has, if that improves the taste.  I also dislike the taste of the gelcaps, they start to dissolve pretty fast in my mouth and taste sweet to me but with something of an off taste that I don't like.  I'd rather get a pure liquid that I knew for sure was raw, but these were the only bottles of CLO I could find.

Offline Rob

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2010, 08:49:23 am »
I'd love to get more sun time, but I really hate being outdoors under the sun. I know this gets better the better I feel, but these days I just dread it. I also am very faired skin, and burn through any SPF level I have ever used. As I get healthier, I will try to get more into the sun. In the meantime, sunshine in a bottle for me.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2010, 11:27:49 pm »
What about getting vitamin D from the sun?
It's the best option do get a sufficient amount of vit. D - about 20 000 IU every day!
But you cannot make any D3 when the sun is below 45 degrees above the horizon.
2 ml of Blue Ice has got 760 IU
5 ml - 1900 IU (still pales in comparison with sun)
Raw wild atlantic herring is very good - 100 g of it contains 1628 IU!

Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline jennie

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2010, 05:26:13 am »
Does anyone feel like the cod liver oil works? I understand this is very important Weston Price supplement.

Is it useless if not fermented?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2010, 05:43:19 am »
Fermentation increases some of the nutrients in the raw cod liver oil. Fermentation also seems to prolong the storage-life of that product,allegedly.

I did not get that much of a noticeable benefit from it, myself. Only from krill oil.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2010, 08:25:16 am »
Fermentation increases some of the nutrients in the raw cod liver oil. Fermentation also seems to prolong the storage-life of that product,allegedly.

I did not get that much of a noticeable benefit from it, myself. Only from krill oil.

How does krill oil benefit you?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2010, 08:34:39 am »
How does krill oil benefit you?
Well, not that much. It just seemed to speed up the lightening of my irises. Since my health previously started to recover once  I went rawpalaeo and my previously very dark brown irises started to lighten more, I take that as a good sign and improvement in general.
" Ron Paul.

Offline jennie

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2010, 02:34:15 pm »
The avocado I had yesterday that made my teeth hurt, the cod liver oil managed to calm them down before I went to sleep. Seems cod liver oil has positive effect when in contact with teeth.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk