Author Topic: Raw meat diet= socially unacceptable?!  (Read 20633 times)

Offline passive357

• Forager
    • View Profile
Raw meat diet= socially unacceptable?!
« on: August 09, 2010, 03:07:22 pm »
I have been slowly changing over a raw animal diet. My diet has undergone a dramatic evolution in the last few months and I am cutting all the crap out. RZC seems to be the best choice for me. I am not interested in eating food for flavor. I am all about eating for fuel. I am a 34 year old male. I work at a grocery store and I have asked people in the meat department about the products I can eat there. Not much. I have tried some grass fed ground beef from the butcher case at Whole Foods. I consumed the entire pound a little at a time over a few days with no problem. I bought grass fed beef liver but I chickened out and cooked it before eating it. Can I just cut it up and eat it raw?

The point of my post is that people are freaking out!  :o  There is something so ridiculously disturbing to people that I am eating raw meat. Everyone is telling me why I shouldn't eat raw meat and especially not ground beef. Bacteria, parasites, e coli, Ebola, etc.! I ate a raw NY strip steak(the best part was the solid fat around the outside of the steak) in front of my father and I thought he was going to disown me. He looked so disappointed in me like I was shaming the family. What gives?! I have worked around food my whole life and I don't think it such a cause for alarm. Do you eat normally in front of people? I am having trouble wrapping my head around how this lifestyle works. Also, could someone provide a sample shopping list for the RZC carnivore? I need to find local places to get these exotic items. Rabbit hearts? They don't have those at Publix.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 04:33:27 pm by passive357 »

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Raw meat diet= socially unacceptable?!
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 05:56:36 pm »
The key re social acceptance is to only eat in public raw animal foods that are considered OK by SAD-eaters. For example, raw oysters, steak tartare, beef carpaccio, raw meat kitfo are socially acceptable. If you want even better acceptance, go with some raw-skeptic to a local restaurant(sashimi restaurants are great as they provide the highest number of raw animal foods), then eat that raw animal food and suggest that they also eat a raw animal food dish. Even if they refuse and go for a cooked-food dish, they will see you eating raw animal foods in a socially-acceptable setting, so will accept your way of life more readily as a result.

Raw liver is easy enough to eat raw, it's just that it takes longer to get used to the taste of it compared to other raw organs.

http://www.rawpaleoforum.com/important-info-for-newbies/where-to-buy-cheap-raw-animal-food%28please-don%27t-post-in-this-thread!%29/

Farmers' markets are less useful in the States from what I've heard  but in Europe and Asia they provide us with useful sources if one looks around enough.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 10:49:43 pm »
Do you eat normally in front of people? I am having trouble wrapping my head around how this lifestyle works.
I do. I could care less what others think about my diet choice as it affords me the optimal health I can attain.
I sat at the dinner table at my sister-in-laws last Thanksgiving eating chunks of raw chuck and suet. I did wait until they had eaten their first serving of food before I did it out of respect to family (I didn't want to ruin others' appetites) but I did eat after that without a problem.
I also had my first deer brains and eyeballs last night. My wife was sitting right next to me the whole time and while a bit disturbed she did joke with me about it and got over her squeamishness.
Also, could someone provide a sample shopping list for the RZC carnivore? I need to find local places to get these exotic items. Rabbit hearts? They don't have those at Publix.
This is going to come down to availability, budget, preference, etc. Each week I buy 4-6 pounds of suet (I've been storing the extra in the freezer to build a stockpile for the winter), 6-8 pounds of ground grass-finished beef, 2-3 pounds of brisket, and other odds and ends (such as liver or heart) as the mood hits me.

Farmers' markets are less useful in the States from what I've heard  but in Europe and Asia they provide us with useful sources if one looks around enough.
Most are but some are gems. You need to find all the locals ones and search out a good one. :)
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline maxscan

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 03:59:24 am »
I did a raw food dinner for some friends the other night. They are not RAFers but they do all like their food. I think because they can see I'm looking really healthy after only a couple of months doing this and because they know I'm a bit out there with food & diet they gave me a chance.

To make it as easy as possible for them I chose 'restaurant' dishes they might be familiar with - started with oysters, then a monkfish ceviche, then a raw take on a 'tagliata' (an Italian dish, thinly sliced sirloin or ribeye with flakes of unpasteurised parmesan, rocket and some garlic, rosemary & olive oil) and finally a raw cheeseboard & raw honeycomb for dessert.

Doing the more familiar dishes helped them relax and by the third course they were in the kitchen with me trying chunks of suet and the fat trimmed off the sirloin! (though the wine may have helped...)

I think the key is to treat it as normal yourself and other people will more likely accept it without questioning - if you are unsure or nervous that gets communicated. The other thing I find is it helps to have some science to back it up - things like the role of enzymes and ease of digestion, the differences in bacteria found in grass-fed vs grain fed meat, the fact that the body releases white blood cells in response to cooked food and not to raw etc. these sorts of little snippets are easy to accept and can allow people to go with it.

I also really liked GoodSamaritan's post the other day http://www.rawpaleoforum.com/important-info-for-newbies/at-least-127-million-people-eat-raw-meat-every-single-day!/ - just point them at that - how can anyone argue?!

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 04:48:40 am »
I did a raw food dinner for some friends the other night. They are not RAFers but they do all like their food. I think because they can see I'm looking really healthy after only a couple of months doing this and because they know I'm a bit out there with food & diet they gave me a chance.

To make it as easy as possible for them I chose 'restaurant' dishes they might be familiar with - started with oysters, then a monkfish ceviche, then a raw take on a 'tagliata' (an Italian dish, thinly sliced sirloin or ribeye with flakes of unpasteurised parmesan, rocket and some garlic, rosemary & olive oil) and finally a raw cheeseboard & raw honeycomb for dessert.

I'm so impressed!

I do. I could care less what others think about my diet choice as it affords me the optimal health I can attain.

Ok, this is going to be my mantra :)  I wish I could say the same, but I'm so in the closet!  I won't change the way I eat though, I just hide  -X

Offline passive357

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 05:32:23 am »

I seasoned a pound of 90/10 grass fed beef and shaped them into little meatballs. Is this a way to go? Do you eat any of these natural spices?

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 06:20:21 am »
I seasoned a pound of 90/10 grass fed beef and shaped them into little meatballs. Is this a way to go? Do you eat any of these natural spices?
That's a perfectly viable way to transition into raw meats. You'll probably find, like most of us, that the meat by itself tastes better in time and you'll stop seasoning.
I'd also like to point out those aren't really "natural" spices except for the pepper. They're loaded with chemicals, preservatives, etc. The Mrs. Dash might also have corn starch, etc. it in (should have an ingredients list on the shaker). If you want to season the meat you should definitely look into getting some more natural seasonings.
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 06:45:31 am »
Socially unacceptable to SAD eaters? Who cares? I just look at my abs and munch away at my raw steak. They pick at their sandwiches and either have doublechins or are skinny fat.  No contest.

Offline King Salmon

• Elder
  • Eating the best realistic diet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 07:24:01 am »
passive,there's all kinds of natural/organic seasonings available,but you usually have to buy them separately.For example,garlic powder(with nothing else:no salt,no preservatives),parsley,oregano...etc.Just read the labels,it's easy,nuthin' to it.Have fun :)
"Eat the best of what's available and call it a day"

Offline passive357

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 07:52:21 am »
Well these seasonings are not organic but they do not have straight up chemicals added. I am sure the herbs and spices used in the blend were probably grown with pesticides and other chemicals but the ingredients are very straight forward. Here is one for example.

Mrs Dash Table Blend
INGREDIENTS: Onion, Spices(Black pepper, chili pepper,parsley, celery seed, basil, bay, marjoram, oregano, savory, thyme, cayenne pepper, coriander,cumin, mustard, rosemary)garlic, orange peel, carrot, lemon juice powder, tomato, red bell pepper, citric acid, oil of lemon

I get it. It is not needed and it's highly processed. I like a little bit of spice from the black pepper so maybe I'll stick to that for now. It's taking time to get used to. I bought more liver today and I'm going to have it raw tonight for a snack to try it.

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2010, 07:56:46 am »
passive, those spices would make me quite ill, but i remember i used to use.. i think it's called herbamare?  it's a celtic sea salt, garlic, etc kind of blend. whole foods has it.  when i first started eating raw meat i used this to disguise the rawness of what i was eating.  a couple weeks in and i was so over it, and haven't used spices since.   

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2010, 07:58:52 am »
oh, and i make little meatballs like that, sometimes little burgers, all the time!  throw them back in the fridge for a couple weeks to a month... they are so good like that!, you won't need spices :)

Offline passive357

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2010, 08:03:31 am »
I am a little confused as to how we deal when we ingest a bacteria such as salmonella or ecoli. Do we just reach a level where we can ingest such harmful bacteria and it doesn't affect us? Everyone I talk to about it has totally freaked out at the idea of my diet. Sorry to bother all of you with the basics but I am not sure what to think. I was programmed not to let meat sit in the fridge for a month and then eat it. It really is OK?

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2010, 08:04:16 am »
The point of my post is that people are freaking out!  :o  There is something so ridiculously disturbing to people that I am eating raw meat.

Japanese Sashimi is socially acceptable.
Make your food in a sashimi like presentation complete with chopsticks.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2010, 08:10:48 am »
I am a little confused as to how we deal when we ingest a bacteria such as salmonella or ecoli. Do we just reach a level where we can ingest such harmful bacteria and it doesn't affect us? Everyone I talk to about it has totally freaked out at the idea of my diet. Sorry to bother all of you with the basics but I am not sure what to think. I was programmed not to let meat sit in the fridge for a month and then eat it. It really is OK?
It's a mix of things.
First and foremost when eating raw our bodies aren't getting a constant barrage of toxins so we handle any immune responses quicker and more efficiently.
Second most of the bacteria that are feared by the layman are a natural occurrence which are just performing janitorial duties on trash in the body. There's lots of trash in the body of someone eating SAD which makes these bacteria fearsome. If they don't have a comfy home they just pass along or settle down quietly and shouldn't bother you.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2010, 08:27:42 am »
I was programmed not to let meat sit in the fridge for a month and then eat it. It really is OK?

lol, me too, but it works! and tastes more amazing the longer you leave it in there. :)   just keep it UNcovered, the outsides will start to dry out a bit, but i like that too.

Everyone I talk to about it has totally freaked out at the idea of my diet.

That's why I don't tell anyone about it, I don't want that energy around me. I'm doing great, I don't need other people's fears around me. Besides, I'm far more afraid to anything else.

Japanese Sashimi is socially acceptable.
Make your food in a sashimi like presentation complete with chopsticks.

so true! and check out inger's presentation in the culinary section!

I am a little confused as to how we deal when we ingest a bacteria such as salmonella or ecoli. Do we just reach a level where we can ingest such harmful bacteria and it doesn't affect us?

i started eating this way with all kinds of fears.  when i was only a few weeks in and my digestion getting so much better, i just didn't (and don't) care anymore.  i've never gotten sick, i've only gotten better, and expect i'll keep getting better even if only in some small way. i started eating some of my dog's food (ground meat/organ mix).  i'm starting to really like it, and i think it's not handled as sanitarily as human food, but i've not had any problems there either.  i just get the best quality meat i can find (grass-fed farmers in my area).  it's been almost a year for me, and the fresh delicious taste of raw meat never ceases to amaze me.

Offline Cinna

• Bear Hunter
  • "dreamy/dreamer"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2010, 11:02:15 am »

Doing the more familiar dishes helped them relax and by the third course they were in the kitchen with me trying chunks of suet and the fat trimmed off the sirloin! (though the wine may have helped...)

Bravo, maxscan! Wow... I'm so impressed, too (like Ioanna).

Offline passive357

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2010, 12:11:17 pm »

I know where I can get these for $50 each. This was actually my little pet goat named Becky. Everyone wanted to eat her. I don't have the heart to slaughter one myself yet.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2010, 03:29:07 pm »
lol, me too, but it works! and tastes more amazing the longer you leave it in there. :)   just keep it UNcovered, the outsides will start to dry out a bit, but i like that too.

How can you keep it uncovered? What about the bottom?
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2010, 05:27:38 pm »
One thing I noticed was that, after a while, not only did I prefer eating raw meats without spices, but they digested far better without added spices, however raw the spices were.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline passive357

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2010, 09:20:23 pm »
Alright guys. Today is all raw meat and egg. Is egg OK? I woke up and had a huge glass of water. Then I downed 2 raw eggs. I then cut up about 6 oz of raw GF beef liver and ate it. I'm going to work and I'll have a few raw meatballs later. It's going to be a great day!  :D

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2010, 09:28:41 pm »
Alright guys. Today is all raw meat and egg. Is egg OK? I woke up and had a huge glass of water. Then I downed 2 raw eggs. I then cut up about 6 oz of raw GF beef liver and ate it. I'm going to work and I'll have a few raw meatballs later. It's going to be a great day!  :D

Try skipping the water when you wake up and just do the raw eggs tomorrow.  Check if you are still thirsty.

I like doing raw eggs first thing because I deduce it cleanses my liver.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline King Salmon

• Elder
  • Eating the best realistic diet
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2010, 10:53:04 pm »
How can you keep it uncovered? What about the bottom?

Miles,I think she means: no lid on top.To let air circulate.
"Eat the best of what's available and call it a day"

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2010, 11:00:47 pm »
Yes, but doesn't the bottom go bad?
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline passive357

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2010, 06:01:04 am »
Going great! I had an awesome day, very energetic and breakfast definitely worked out well. What does every one think about smoking marijuana on the RZC diet? I smoke all the time and I don't really think it hurts too much. I'm sure it does cause me to be exposed to a few toxins but how bad can it be? I don't drink at all or do anything else.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk