Author Topic: Need some short term fat advice  (Read 2377 times)

Offline Rob

• Trapper
    • View Profile
Need some short term fat advice
« on: August 15, 2010, 06:57:53 am »
I am trying to get to a 100% raw paleo style diet, and am having some trouble in getting good sources of raw animal fat.

Prior to today, I only had some cooked nuts. I need to get away from that.
My local butcher has marrow bones, grain fed only. No suet or fat trimmings at all.
I can get local pasture raised chicken eggs (I got 4 dozen today)
I can get raw cream from pastured grain fed cows (I got 2 pints).
I can get some pig lard, from the same farm that has the eggs/dairy (though it is pricey).

I am getting a side of beef (grass fed, pastured) in a couple of months, and will be getting all the marrow bones and suet with it.

I had some cream today, I am definitely having a mucous response. I don't think raw dairy is a good idea for me.

So, in the short term, What should I be doing beyond egg yolks given the options above. I will order some bison back fat next week, and keep looking for decent sources of marrow. I was really disappointed, as I was told they had grass fed marrow on the phone, but when I got there, it was a different story.

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
Re: Need some short term fat advice
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 07:22:34 am »
I am having trouble finding good sources of raw animal fats, too.  For now I've been trying to make up for it by eating some dairy, I found a good place with raw grass-fed milk, cheese, and butter.  I'd stay away from grain-fed dairy, though.  But I would prefer to replace these things with marrow, or suet or fat trimmings.  I did just recently find some beef marrow bones, but it was from a cheap commercial grocery store so it's probably 100% grain-fed and from commercial cows given hormones and stuff.  The bones also smell really weird for some reason, so I'm a bit wary to eat the marrow.. but I tried some for the first time yesterday (never eaten marrow before) and the marrow alone tasted fine, just as long as I was away from the weird/bad smelling bones.  I'm hoping if I can find some grass-fed, it will be better.  Eggs seem good too, though, they usually gave me a good boost of energy when I ate them, but I run out fast.
Hi, I'm 32, around 5'4" and ~124lb, no real significant health problems other than hyperventilating when running/exercising (that my doc said was because of the smog/asthma), fatigue, and really bad acne.
I'd preferably be a carnivore/very low carb, but I have had a very hard time finding grass-fed or even organic fats, organs, and marrow. I consume raw dairy, but I do not eat much vegetables.. however, I do love fruit.
I live with my dad, so I also have to sneak any raw meat eating.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 05:49:08 pm »
Avoid the raw dairy like the plague, for obvious reasons. Go for the pastured raw eggs but try as hard as possible to get hold of raw grassfed/organic meats/organ-meats, and, better still, raw wild game or wildcaught, raw seafood.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 08:46:04 pm »
I am trying to get to a 100% raw paleo style diet, and am having some trouble in getting good sources of raw animal fat.
I can get raw cream from pastured grain fed cows (I got 2 pints).
I can get some pig lard, from the same farm that has the eggs/dairy (though it is pricey).
I had some cream today, I am definitely having a mucous response. I don't think raw dairy is a good idea for me.
I have found pasture fed pork (very cheap) that has plenty of fat and tastes excellent. I particularly like it ground (lots of good tasty, sweet fat) and it is spectacular with Argula, an herb I stumbled onto at a farmer's market. The Argula makes it easier to digest I suspect.

With the cream, have you tried making butter with it? You can Google butter making and there are a few videos. I have described it extensively in other posts. It's quite easy to make. I suggest mixing it with raw unheated honey and possibly raw coconut as this will make it more digestible. Cream by itself is a challenge for most to digest.
Cheers
Al

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk