Author Topic: Colour slides - American life 1939-1943  (Read 2420 times)

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
Colour slides - American life 1939-1943
« on: August 15, 2010, 08:40:53 pm »
Snapshot of different times.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/captured/2010/07/26/captured-america-in-color-from-1939-1943/?source=ARK_plog

Not too many fruit or veg on the dinner plates, lots of preserves, meat, bread. The kids don't have shoes on, rationing?
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Colour slides - American life 1939-1943
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 11:58:51 pm »
Great pictures, but the people don't look very well.

Offline Michael

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 12:21:36 am »
Wow!  Agreed.  Absolutely beautiful pictures!  Thanks for posting the link.

Not sure what you were suggesting with those pics Wodg.  Like myself, I know you respect WAP and put alot of faith in his ideas and proposed indicators of human health.  On that basis, are you pointing out how 'unhealthy' the people in the photos look?  It's actually very interesting in that these pictures are taken in the early '40s which, if I recall correctly, was the time of WAPs studies.  Further evidence of the damage already being done at this comparatively early stage of dietary manipulation?  On the other hand, the presumably meat-eating cattle farmer/shepherd on slide 59 is a picture of strength, health & vitality!

Nice minimalist/barefoot footwear in slide 29!  :)  Generally, interesting to see many of the children barefoot too.  Poverty and rationing had it's advantages!
1. When offered something that is too good to be true. It is.
2. Greed and fear are poor states of mind in which to make decisions; like shopping at the supermarket when you are hungry.
3. Exponential growth is mathematically unsustainable.

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 03:44:17 pm »
I linked the slides because I thought the slides were beautiful and really captured something. A different time? dignity even in poverty? I'm not sure.

I do respect WAP for sure. Traveller, adventurer, philanthropist.
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline Michael

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 07:38:29 am »
I think you're right.  They really did capture something almost magical.  Something that we'll never see again.  A very personal window into the past.  I think much can be learned from such photos if observed closely.  Call me sad (without capitalisation!), but I have a large collection of National Geographic magazines going back to, I think, late 1950s.  It's truly incredible and revealing to look back at the different periods.  Even the advertisements are revealing!  They can also expose mankind's ability to rewrite history!

1. When offered something that is too good to be true. It is.
2. Greed and fear are poor states of mind in which to make decisions; like shopping at the supermarket when you are hungry.
3. Exponential growth is mathematically unsustainable.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk