Author Topic: Preferred Cheese  (Read 10737 times)

Offline MoonStalkeR

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Preferred Cheese
« on: August 19, 2010, 05:00:28 am »
I eat mozzarella because I'm used to it and it's said to be easier to digest. However, after a while, it turns too acidic for my sensitivity.

What is your choice of cheese? Any suggestions?

Offline Rob

• Trapper
    • View Profile
Re: Preferred Cheese
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 09:20:49 am »
Raw goat cheese. I can even get raw goat cheddar around here. I keep to a very low dairy intake though.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 05:32:12 pm »
Mozzarella is pasteurised, last I checked. Not a good idea. In my dairy-eating days long gone, I used to eat raw goats' cheese as it had a more pleasant tang and goats tend to be less intensively-farmed.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline MoonStalkeR

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 08:56:08 pm »
Have to try goat cheese. Mozzarella I suspected, it didn't give me the effects of pasteurized mozzarella though.

Offline cliff

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 10:47:17 pm »
Raw goat feta for sure

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 10:49:40 pm »
We get raw unheated cow cheese. It's excellent.

We used to make a lot of paneer in our cooked food days. It is manna from heaven.

I think the easiest way to make a facsimile of paneer uncooked is to add lemon to milk [not exactly sure but I would say 1/4 cup to a liter (US Gallon)] and gently stir till it coagulates into curds and whey. Then you simply ladle the curds into a cheesecloth set in a round colander and allow the whey to drain for awhile. To make it hard you fold the corners of the cloth or cheesecloth over it and put weights on it for say a few hours or more. The more the weight the harder the cheese.

The whey can be consumed or we used to put it in the garden.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 10:55:51 pm by raw-al »
Cheers
Al

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 04:39:27 am »
I looooooooooove cheese.. However, the only raw cheeses I can find around here are cheddars, and some weird french cheese that's pretty good too.  I do love me some raw sharp cheddar, though.  And most other pasteurized cheeses too, though I don't eat them anymore.

As far as mozzarella,  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvZEH

edit:  Oh yeah, and I've only had cow cheese, never tried goat.
Hi, I'm 32, around 5'4" and ~124lb, no real significant health problems other than hyperventilating when running/exercising (that my doc said was because of the smog/asthma), fatigue, and really bad acne.
I'd preferably be a carnivore/very low carb, but I have had a very hard time finding grass-fed or even organic fats, organs, and marrow. I consume raw dairy, but I do not eat much vegetables.. however, I do love fruit.
I live with my dad, so I also have to sneak any raw meat eating.

Offline reyyzl

• Bear Hunter
  • Raw Chicken Schwarma
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 11:26:53 pm »
As far as mozzarella,  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvZEH

edit:  Oh yeah, and I've only had cow cheese, never tried goat.

The link doesn't work.  I think it's too short, letters missing.  Is it cheesemaking?

We get raw unheated cow cheese. It's excellent.

We used to make a lot of paneer in our cooked food days. It is manna from heaven.

I think the easiest way to make a facsimile of paneer uncooked is to add lemon to milk [not exactly sure but I would say 1/4 cup to a liter (US Gallon)] and gently stir till it coagulates into curds and whey. Then you simply ladle the curds into a cheesecloth set in a round colander and allow the whey to drain for awhile. To make it hard you fold the corners of the cloth or cheesecloth over it and put weights on it for say a few hours or more. The more the weight the harder the cheese.

The whey can be consumed or we used to put it in the garden.

Does it have to be warmed to 110 to curdle or let sit a few days to beak into curds?  How do you make hard cheese?

Raw goat feta for sure

Can you get it unsalted?
"A genuine RPDer should always live by the coast." -TylerDurden Global Moderator Mammoth Hunter

Too often we get caught up trying to get to the end. What is most important however is to discover the beginning. We don’t solve problems or start to heal unless we can be willing, be kind, laugh a little and commit to seeking until we find. If we can, we’ll get started. I’ll meet you at the beginning!
“Reflections on My Travels…India” by Michael J Tamura ~ pg. 57

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 05:09:48 pm »
   The link doesn't work.  I think it's too short, letters missing.  Is it cheesemaking?

oops, sorry, here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvZEHbYG8G4
that one should work, lol.
Hi, I'm 32, around 5'4" and ~124lb, no real significant health problems other than hyperventilating when running/exercising (that my doc said was because of the smog/asthma), fatigue, and really bad acne.
I'd preferably be a carnivore/very low carb, but I have had a very hard time finding grass-fed or even organic fats, organs, and marrow. I consume raw dairy, but I do not eat much vegetables.. however, I do love fruit.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 11:15:56 pm »

Does it have to be warmed to 110 to curdle or let sit a few days to beak into curds?  How do you make hard cheese?

Can you get it unsalted?
Quote from: reyyzl
    [color=purple
Does it have to be warmed to 110 to curdle or let sit a few days to beak into curds?  How do you make hard cheese?[/color]
Reyyzl,
We get raw cheese from the same farmer that we get the raw milk from and she says she does not heat it above 40 degrees which is slightly warmer than a cow @103 degrees F.. I have no idea how she does it, but I suspect there may be videos on making cheese but most are cooked. I had a video from the library on making cheese, from a woman in I believe North Eastern US. She had goats and was making it and teaching classes and most importantly she had ingredients for making the different varieties. I don't remember if she was doing unheated. Bearing in mind the people who were learning from her live in a society that frowns on unheated dairy products sadly.
I  was guessing about making the cheese yourself based on making Paneer, but that is roughly how AV described it on the last interview I heard from him.
Cheers
Al

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2010, 04:23:39 am »
I suspect there may be videos on making cheese

I just posted a video on how to make raw mozzarella in about 5 minutes.  >>;

Offline MaximilianKohler

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2010, 12:41:57 pm »
I like the soft cheese with mold on the outside ^_^

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2010, 03:11:00 pm »
I am afraid to eat anything with mold on it because I am allergic to penicillin and that's made from mold.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2010, 09:47:56 pm »
That's an interesting take on mould Wolf. Hadn't thought of it that way. I suspect there is a difference because my understanding is that penicillan is the byproduct of the mould not the live mould itself so it is a living thing. Just kind of guessing though.
Cheers
Al

Offline Brother

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2010, 10:00:02 pm »
I eat mozzarella because I'm used to it and it's said to be easier to digest. However, after a while, it turns too acidic for my sensitivity.

What is your choice of cheese? Any suggestions?

My local deli has a wide selection of raw cheeses, so I am spoiled. I think my favorite is probably a Mont Bierre which has a layer of mold inside. Consistency like a regular cheese but tastes more in the neighbourhood of blue cheeses like Stilton and Gordon Bleu. If I can't get the quality fat I want, I rely heavily on raw Milk, Cheese, natural Oil and avocados for energy.

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2010, 06:12:24 am »
Well I don't know exactly what it is that I am allergic to, all I know is I'm allergic to penicillin which is something from mold so I am afraid to eat mold, lol.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk