Author Topic: Grass-fed Rib-eye  (Read 6730 times)

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
Grass-fed Rib-eye
« on: August 21, 2010, 06:44:06 am »
Okay so, previously the only grass-fed beef I could find was 85/15 ground beef at trader joes.  But recently I actually found a place with grass-fed steaks, so I bought a couple different kinds to try.

I bought a 10 ounce boneless Rib-eye steak (with nice marbling for fat) for about $12, and a 20 ounce flank steak for about $20.  Haven't tried the flank yet.

The problem is, I just tried a few bites of this boneless rib-eye, and it tastes.. really weird in a bad way.  Now I don't know if rib-eyes have a significantly different taste than sirloins or whatever meat they use for ground beef, but I do know that I just remembered I never much liked the taste of cooked prime rib back in my cooked days, though I've always looooooooved my rare-cooked top sirloin/new york strip steaks.  So, I don't know if this meat tastes really weird to me because it's from the ribs, which seems to be a meat I dislike, or if it's because it's the first grass-fed steak I've ever eaten, but grass-fed ground beef tastes good to me, or a combination of both, or if something is wrong with this meat. 

I don't know what to do, because I don't want to waste the $12 I spent on this steak, but I don't know how I can make this steak more appealing in taste to me, so I can eat it.
Hi, I'm 32, around 5'4" and ~124lb, no real significant health problems other than hyperventilating when running/exercising (that my doc said was because of the smog/asthma), fatigue, and really bad acne.
I'd preferably be a carnivore/very low carb, but I have had a very hard time finding grass-fed or even organic fats, organs, and marrow. I consume raw dairy, but I do not eat much vegetables.. however, I do love fruit.
I live with my dad, so I also have to sneak any raw meat eating.

Offline Arthas_

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Grass-fed Rib-eye
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 01:10:00 am »
In my experience, I haven't notice much of a difference in taste when eating different cuts. There are a lot of variables though. The breed of cattle, the kind of grass it was fed, if it's been aged or not. Also grinding meat somewhat changes the taste.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 01:26:35 am »
Maybe it's because you keep your meat for days out in the heat.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 03:58:09 am »
I only bought this a few days ago and I've been keeping it cooled in my cooler with ice, it hasn't gotten warm.  And I know, at least to me, I never liked prime rib steak because it had a weird taste, whereas top sirloin and new york strips were amazing.  Roast beef was another meat that I always hated the taste of, but then it was usually fully cooked, too.. but it was stringy and had a peculiar taste to it that I didn't much like.  I have very sensitive tastebuds though, and have always been able to taste the difference of things.. even to the point of having been able to taste a slight difference in the different colours of M&Ms.

I think it's just a combination of the rib steak and grass-fed.  I just need a way to make the meat more appealing to me so I can eat it and not waste the $12 I spent on this steak.  Then I can try the flank steak and see how that one tastes to me.. hopefully good, because I spent $20 on that one.

Is commercial black pepper okay to try?  Maybe commercial salt?  I might be able to find some other commercial spices around here, maaaybe, if I'm lucky, but nothing organic or anything by any means..
Hi, I'm 32, around 5'4" and ~124lb, no real significant health problems other than hyperventilating when running/exercising (that my doc said was because of the smog/asthma), fatigue, and really bad acne.
I'd preferably be a carnivore/very low carb, but I have had a very hard time finding grass-fed or even organic fats, organs, and marrow. I consume raw dairy, but I do not eat much vegetables.. however, I do love fruit.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 09:10:19 pm »
not all grass feed is the same, some cows get moldy hay and others get pristine pastures, I have had quality issues with the grass feed at health food stores , bad taste, and negative feeling(instinct)

The only stuff I prefer is the chuckeye roll pasture raised black Angus I buy from a restaurant

The butcher SAM Knows quality and teaches a collage course on how to raise and butcher animals humanly and without drugs and chemicals, He knows I eat everything raw and I trust his judgment.

His father put him out with the lambs as soon as he could walk so he knows what it takes to raise good meat,

Some commercial grass fees farmers don't have any clue and feed their cows scrub brush and improperly stored hay, you can taste the difference
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 02:43:39 am »
Well, I'm judging from the fact that I never liked prime rib as that I just don't like rib meat.  I had no ill effects from eating the rib eye, other than gagging slightly on the taste, but as for how I felt after eating it, I've been fine. 

But, does that mean that if the cows are fed on hay, that they can still be labeled as 100% grass-fed?  'Cause I'd say the rib-eye had something of a hay-taste to it, or at least it brought up the thought of green, so I wasn't sure if it was just a grassy taste coming through.  I don't know, but I'm going to be trying the grass-fed flank steak today, so I will have something to compare the rib-eye to as far as solid grass-fed meats. 

And I don't know if it's really a health food store, I just call it that because I forget the actual name of it.. goodwin's or something, but it's more of an organic store, and they carry Organic Pastures delicious raw milk, which is why I first went there.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 05:38:23 pm »
Grassfed farmers routinely feed their cattle on hay in the winter. I think it's fine to call hay-fed cattle grassfed.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 07:39:00 pm »
hay fine but not ideal, hay can become moldy if not dried properly and mold toxins can cause quality issues
some farmers do use inferior quality hay to save on cost(I have talked to farmers and butchers about this)
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 11:03:45 am »
If you don't enjoy the taste then spice it up. Just because we are raw fooders doesn't mean we cant be chefs.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 11:20:15 am »
lol I finished off that steak like daaaaaays ago.

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2010, 11:29:56 am »
oh lol im glad it wasn't wasted
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2010, 11:49:00 am »
well I did throw away some of it that I couldn't eat, mostly fat.  But I ate most of it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk