Author Topic: oysters vs clams vs mussels?  (Read 20528 times)

Offline bharminder

• Elder
    • View Profile
oysters vs clams vs mussels?
« on: August 21, 2010, 01:35:18 pm »
All are available to me wild fresh. Generally I get oysters because I know they have zinc, b-12, and some omega 3's.

Are clams and mussels equally or close to as nutritious?

Would it be wise to diversify and eat a variety of these shellfish rather than just the oysters?

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
Re: oysters vs clams vs mussels?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 01:59:30 pm »
Would it be wise to diversify and eat a variety of these shellfish rather than just the oysters?

Of course! They taste differently, so they must contain different substances... Paleo men didn't eat just oysters, they ate everything good tasting they found.

Cheers
Francois
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 04:30:29 pm »
Try all of them. My own experimentation showed, however, that clams are far more difficult to open as I had to use a hammer, and the clams were always too small to be worth the bother of getting at the flesh inside. Raw mussels are a cheap alternative, but I have noticed that if I overindulge in them in the long-term, that they pass through my body rather quickly, implying that they are not being easily absorbed for some reason. Raw oysters I have never had a problem with. Raw mussels can be an acquired, very bitter taste at first, and you need a metal walnut-cracker to break up the shell so that you can pick the shell-parts off and eat the flesh inside. Raw oysters just need oyster-knives, of course.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 01:10:24 am »
Try all of them. My own experimentation showed, however, that clams are far more difficult to open as I had to use a hammer, and the clams were always too small to be worth the bother of getting at the flesh inside.

:o Oh, you can open any specie of clams with a normal knife, even the big ones! If I fail to introduce the knife between the valves , I knock on an edge with the knife till I obtain a flat spot or even a small hole and then it’s possible to proceed.

This chef as a very professional way and he uses a specific clams knife: http://video.about.com/gourmetfood/How-to-Open-Clams.htm
http://www.wikihow.com/Open-a-Clam

Raw mussels can be an acquired, very bitter taste at first, and you need a metal walnut-cracker to break up the shell so that you can pick the shell-parts off and eat the flesh inside. Raw oysters just need oyster-knives, of course.

Usually I can’t eat more than, say, between 6 and 12 mussels: they have a very strong taste and the instinctive stop is neat. Oh, I never used a nutcracker! It’s very easy to introduce a knife in it since there’s a kind of little valley between the valves  on a side, near the pointed end.
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 05:46:35 am »
My own experimentation showed, however, that clams are far more difficult to open as I had to use a hammer, and the clams were always too small to be worth the bother of getting at the flesh inside.

Do you eat cockles?  Do you find them as difficult as clams to open?   
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline bharminder

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 03:16:54 pm »
Ok, thanks. Generally I put big clams (2-3x as much meat as oysters, but maybe 5% more expensive) on a cutting board in the sink and take a pot and smash it on the clam while it's pointed sideways so the thinnest part is pointed upwards. That video seems way simpler.

So I got 2 clams and 1 oyster from the Whole foods store. I asked the seafood guy to make sure they are fresh and closed. The oyster was great, but one clam was opened when I went to eat it about 2 hours later, while the other was closed and tasted great. Now its possible that it died on the way to my home, but how should I make sure they are fresh when I get them from the store? Should I ask to look at them myself rather than ask the seafood guy to make sure they are fresh?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 08:06:12 pm »
    Do you eat cockles?  Do you find them as difficult as clams to open?   
No, I used to eat cooked cockles a lot pre-rpd diet, though.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 08:08:09 pm »

:o Oh, you can open any specie of clams with a normal knife, even the big ones! If I fail to introduce the knife between the valves , I knock on an edge with the knife till I obtain a flat spot or even a small hole and then it’s possible to proceed.

This chef as a very professional way and he uses a specific clams knife: http://video.about.com/gourmetfood/How-to-Open-Clams.htm
http://www.wikihow.com/Open-a-Clam

Usually I can’t eat more than, say, between 6 and 12 mussels: they have a very strong taste and the instinctive stop is neat. Oh, I never used a nutcracker! It’s very easy to introduce a knife in it since there’s a kind of little valley between the valves  on a side, near the pointed end.

Using a knife is problematic. The way one has to hold them, means that if the knife slips on the roudned surface of the clam, one gets the knife stabbed into the other hand, on the other side of the clam. I use an oyster-knife with raw oysters, but for quickness of use I far prefer metal walnut-crackers with my raw mussels, and my hands stay safe as a result.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 08:27:24 pm »
Yes, if you hold the clam or mussel in your other hand. But not if the shellfish rests on a hard surface (a plate for example) and you just hold it straight in such a way that if the knife slips, it goes to the side opposed to your fingers - just like with oysters, but a rounded tip knife is appropriate. It’s even possible to open a mussel and get its flesh with the shell of another one, and the same applies to jackknife clams.

Cheers
Francois

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2010, 08:50:18 pm »
Should I ask to look at them myself rather than ask the seafood guy to make sure they are fresh?

That's what I have to do, I have to look at it.  Some "seafood guys" have no idea.  Best to learn, so you're safe not sorry.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline bharminder

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 02:14:40 am »
Ok thanks.

Offline bharminder

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 10:18:31 am »
So i got some clams and mussels and oysters and they are were good, but with the mussels I noticed a tightening feeling in my throat, it was just this uncomfortable feeling. That's about the only negative symptom from eating mussels I can think of. Itusually develops within minutes of eating the mussels. Is this a shellfish allergy?

is it possible to desensitize myself to this allergy through consumption of mussels?(i didn't grow up eating this stuff, ever) or should i avoid it?

symptoms are pretty light but this uncomfortble "tightening" (if you can call it that) only happens with the mussels, not the clams or oysters

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2010, 10:29:22 am »
I dislike the taste of raw mussels so I don't eat it.

I do like the taste of raw clams and raw oysters so I stick with what tastes good.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline bharminder

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2010, 10:42:04 am »
Me neither I don't like their taste

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2010, 05:19:42 pm »
Just follow your instincts re mussels. I used to drink vast amounts of raw dairy because I was told that eventually I would inevitably get used to the raw dairy and no longer get an allergy towards it. Big mistake.
" Ron Paul.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk