Author Topic: examples of raw animal fat  (Read 43492 times)

Offline shannon

• Egg Thief
  • hey, that's me!
    • View Profile
examples of raw animal fat
« on: August 28, 2010, 06:28:51 pm »
i know i seem clueless right now, forgive me.  can someone give me some examples of animal fats beside egg yolk.   -\
Vegetables are interesting but lack a sense of purpose when unaccompanied by a good cut of meat.  ~Fran Lebowitz

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: examples of raw animal fat
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 07:28:58 pm »
Raw marrow, raw suet, raw tongue, raw brains. Otherwise raw dairy(non-palaeo , though). But raw fat exists also in raw muscle-meats, especially in the fattier kind such as raw mutton.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 11:46:03 am »
Also raw back fat and raw eggs.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 07:16:57 pm »
    Don't worry.  I was like you too.  I used to be billed as a vegan chef.  I knew so much about food.  I still don't know much about meat cuts though.  Most I learned here on this forum.  I have no idea when I go to the butcher.  I stick to cuts or words I know, like steak, shoulder, leg ..

But raw fat exists also in raw muscle-meats, especially in the fattier kind such as raw mutton.

I would rather eat mutton than lamb.  I love lamb.  I never minded the greasiness although many non-paleo people do mind that.  I would love to try mutton.  I heard it has much less fat than lamb though.  Also that sheep have much lower carbs in their livers than other ruminant animals have in theirs.  That might be important if you want to be very low carb.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline shannon

• Egg Thief
  • hey, that's me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 09:12:35 pm »
thanks!  yeah, i really like lamb ;D
Vegetables are interesting but lack a sense of purpose when unaccompanied by a good cut of meat.  ~Fran Lebowitz

Offline Hans89

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 10:54:27 pm »
I would love to try mutton.  I heard it has much less fat than lamb though.

I'd love to try it, too, but there is zero demand (the seller said) so I can't find it. Don't animals in general have more fat when they age, however?

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 11:20:59 pm »
Human baby.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline Hans89

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 01:16:51 am »
Human baby.

Is that an answer to my question or a suggestion for raw animal fat?  :D
OK, I got it  -[

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 02:16:27 am »

I would rather eat mutton than lamb.  I love lamb.  I never minded the greasiness although many non-paleo people do mind that.  I would love to try mutton.  I heard it has much less fat than lamb though.  Also that sheep have much lower carbs in their livers than other ruminant animals have in theirs.  That might be important if you want to be very low carb.
Actually, raw mutton is fattier than raw lamb, by quite a bit.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Hans89

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2010, 08:14:56 pm »
Actually, raw mutton is fattier than raw lamb, by quite a bit.

Can you get that easily in the UK? Seems to be quite traditional there.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 01:13:24 am »
Can you get that easily in the UK? Seems to be quite traditional there.
Yes. It's nowadays frowned upon by the moronic public due to its extra fattiness and toughness, to the extent that the wonderful Prince Charles openly headed a "Mutton revival campaign). I get it from farmers' markets and it seems actually cheaper than raw lamb. However, mutton is only available on a seasonal basis, so I can't get it in the summer.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 12:39:55 am »
Well, I can ask for fat trimmings in the in-store meat cutter/butcher thing at my grocery store, and they give me fat out of the barrel where they dump all the fat they trim off the meat cuts(which would eventually be thrown away, so they also give it to me for free).  But it's all grain-fed commercial stuff, but I can't find any other source of fat otherwise.  If you have a grass-fed butcher though, you could probably ask them for any fat trimmings they were going to throw away and get a whole bunch of them for free or at least very cheap.
Hi, I'm 32, around 5'4" and ~124lb, no real significant health problems other than hyperventilating when running/exercising (that my doc said was because of the smog/asthma), fatigue, and really bad acne.
I'd preferably be a carnivore/very low carb, but I have had a very hard time finding grass-fed or even organic fats, organs, and marrow. I consume raw dairy, but I do not eat much vegetables.. however, I do love fruit.
I live with my dad, so I also have to sneak any raw meat eating.

Offline Joy2012

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2012, 12:41:39 pm »
Raw marrow, raw suet, raw tongue, raw brains. Otherwise raw dairy(non-palaeo , though). But raw fat exists also in raw muscle-meats, especially in the fattier kind such as raw mutton.

May I revive this old thread and ask why dairy cream is not an optimal sourse of fat in Paleo diet? It contains little, if any, of the dairy sugar and dairy protein which some people are sensitive to.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 12:46:46 pm by TylerDurden »

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2012, 12:51:41 pm »
May I revive this old thread and ask why dairy cream is not an optimal sourse of fat in Paleo diet? It contains little, if any, of the dairy sugar and dairy protein which some people are sensitive to.
  It still means that some people will react to the traces of lactose and casein therein. A quick google suggests that levels are not that low:-

"In theory, traditionally produced sweet butter and real cream should be low in lactose, since the milk sugar would normally remain in the whey, after separation, however practical experience shows that either the separation is incomplete or milk solids are added to the final product, elevating the lactose content beyond an acceptable level for my family. It is safer, and not much of a hardship to substitute margarine for butter and a soya based whipped topping for cream."  http://www.telusplanet.net/public/ekende/lactose.htm

Some people who have problems with raw dairy have claimed that they did OK with raw butter. However, I'm suspicious of such claims.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Joy2012

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2012, 02:18:59 pm »
Tyler, Thank you for the article.

I have never had a problem with milk/dairy, whether raw or not. So will grass-fed raw cream from a local farm be a good source of animal fat for me?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2012, 02:28:53 pm »
Tyler, Thank you for the article.

I have never had a problem with milk/dairy, whether raw or not. So will grass-fed raw cream from a local farm be a good source of animal fat for me?
  I don't think it matters to consume raw dairy in a moderate way, if one  has no symptoms from it. However, I wouldn't advise making it your one and only source of raw animal fat.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Joy2012

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2012, 02:45:21 pm »
I wouldn't advise making it your one and only source of raw animal fat.

Tyler, what is the reason that fat from raw dairy is not to be used as the main source of fat?
BTW, I also take in a good quantity of coconut oil (good source of saturated fat) and raw salmon.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2012, 03:29:34 pm »
Tyler, what is the reason that fat from raw dairy is not to be used as the main source of fat?
BTW, I also take in a good quantity of coconut oil (good source of saturated fat) and raw salmon.
  Well, I think even Aajonus states that the proteins in raw dairy and raw eggs are not as useful for rebuilding the body as those in raw muscle-meats.

There is another concern too. For example, some people who have had no problems with raw dairy at all re allergies have found that they got magnesium-deficiency from it(too much excess calcium in the diet can lead to magnesium-deficiency).
" Ron Paul.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2012, 06:43:54 pm »
.. I also take in a good quantity of coconut oil (good source of saturated fat) and raw salmon.

I did AV style raw fresh made coconut cream and salmon on this diet way before I got to marrow, brain, backfat and suet too.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline Joy2012

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2012, 02:59:25 am »
  Well, I think even Aajonus states that the proteins in raw dairy and raw eggs are not as useful for rebuilding the body as those in raw muscle-meats.

There is another concern too. For example, some people who have had no problems with raw dairy at all re allergies have found that they got magnesium-deficiency from it(too much excess calcium in the diet can lead to magnesium-deficiency).

Thanks for answering, Tyler. It is good to know about proteins in dairy vs. proteins in muscle meats.
On the other hand, I would like to know about the "fat" part of dairy. In other words, is "fat" part of the dairy fine?

Offline Joy2012

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2012, 03:01:11 am »
    I did AV style raw fresh made coconut cream and salmon on this diet way before I got to marrow, brain, backfat and suet too.

Hi, RawZi. So what is the difference between doing coconut cream/salmon and doing marrow/brain etc. in your experience?

CitrusHigh

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2012, 03:08:55 am »
Joy coconut oil is fine in the interim and in a pinch, but most sources are not really raw, but are exposed to very high temps for drying and or processing and or transport. There may be some really raw sources out there, but I am not familiar with them. The problem comes because in order for it to be profitable they have to produce it on a large scale and so it must be dried fast before the meat spoils after extraction. To dry fast usually means very high heat, and most coconut oil producers will say so when pressed or will volunteer the info on their websites.

I used Nutiva's for a long time in raw egg, milk smoothies, but found it is not raw either. Not really anyway, maybe raw by their standards but not by a 105F or less standard.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2012, 04:05:10 am »

Some people who have problems with raw dairy have claimed that they did OK with raw butter. However, I'm suspicious of such claims.

Did you ever try raw butter?  I was just curious, I know you mentioned having tried fermented dairy, but I couldn't remember if you had tried raw butter.

Offline Joy2012

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2012, 11:35:50 am »
Hi, Tyler. Did Aajonus explain why  the proteins in raw dairy and raw eggs are not as useful for rebuilding the body as those in raw muscle-meats?

CitrusHigh, Yes I am aware that there is probably no raw coconut oil in the market. On the other hand, coconut oil is very stable and I think heating does not cause damage to its nutrients except for enzymes.  I think all the “scientific”   reports on the benefits of coconut oil are based on using non-raw coconut oil.  So I would hope coconut oil is a good source of fat in general.  I use coconut oil from Tropical Traditions. Their coconut oil is heated minimally following traditional methods.

Cherimoya, is your question for Tyler or for me? I have not tried raw butter. I would think raw dairy cream and raw butter are almost identical nutrition-wise.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2012, 12:24:40 pm »

Cherimoya, is your question for Tyler or for me? I have not tried raw butter. I would think raw dairy cream and raw butter are almost identical nutrition-wise.

I was actually speaking to Tyler.

Cream and butter are not identical.  Cream still has some carbs/lactose in it.  Butter is pure fat.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk