Author Topic: A day in the life of TylerDurden  (Read 369131 times)

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: A day in the life of TylerDurden
« Reply #450 on: April 28, 2010, 07:34:10 am »
Thank you, Tyler! You would think living outside Boston that there would be more sources available for grassfed beef, but unfortunately, that is not the case.  l)  I do feel better dropping the ghee and lard. I want to be a raw girl.

When I finish this cod liver oil, I might do what you suggest for Greenpastures. I was also thinking that since I love ground beef, maybe just asking the butcher to grind up the liver. I could just take it in teaspoons. You need very little liver to get a lot of Vitamin A.

I've never had grassfed, so I don't know the "taste" difference between grassfed and grainfed. I love TJ's ground beef when it is air-dried and I love the bone marrow I have.  I've done a lot of research and know grassfed is ideal, but I still think raw ZC is healthier than 99% other ways of eating.

I have access to an Asian market (H-Mart) that sells a variety of organs (not grassfed, of course). They even have pig uteri (which I never tried, of course).  The only organs I have tried and liked were chicken gizzards and chicken hearts, lightly cooked, but those do not appear as nutritious as liver. I must eat liver somehow!  -d

Oh, and I am working on revising my Raw ZC Testimonial for you. I should get you that soon, and you can post it with some bikini pics of me so everyone can see that we are not all a bunch of frail ugly things  :P

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: April 28, 2010, 08:04:38 am »
Oh, I was just kidding on the bikini thing, too. I have a wide-range of pictures; whatever would be appropriate.  :D

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: April 28, 2010, 08:33:26 am »
Thank you, Tyler! You would think living outside Boston that there would be more sources available for grassfed beef, but unfortunately, that is not the case. 

have you checked the eatwild site? there are probably 10+ grass-finished farms in Mass on that site alone, some maybe an hour or more outside the city, but if buying in bulk should be cheaper than shipping from USW or Slankers.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: April 28, 2010, 08:39:37 am »
Heck, Massachusetts has the best grassfed meat and suet I've tried yet (www.hardwickbeef.com). The downside is, now I'm spoiled, so if I ever lose that source it will really stink. For a little while the suet wasn't being vacuum-packed (I think the market chops it up and puts it in the individual packages) and it got damp and nasty, but luckily it's back to being vacuum-packed again.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: April 28, 2010, 09:37:53 am »
a wet texture turns me off

i have no issues with liver texture but when it is frozen or half-frozen it feels different, not wet as you described it.  i used to dislike this slimy kind of texture but i trained myself and now i have no problem with it.  it was all in my head.

i would avoid H-mart.  recently bought eggs in there and they had really funky taste.  i think they use the most cheapest sources.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #455 on: April 28, 2010, 05:04:44 pm »
Oh, I was just kidding on the bikini thing, too. I have a wide-range of pictures; whatever would be appropriate.  :D
Well, when I first did my own testimonial for rawpaleodiet.com I used a photo of me in bathing-shorts with my upper body naked, so it wasn't exactly formal.(I find bathing-shorts a real pain as they are uncomfortable and only useful for prancing around in shallow water, not for real long-distance swimming. Unfortunately, almost all male bathing-trunks I see on display abroad these days are of the ludicrous almost bikini-like types designed to emphasise the size of one's genitalia, and I'm too embarassed to wear them.

The old rawpaleodiet.com site had photos, not the new one for some reason. Maybe I can fix that somehow. I'll try to do the Loren Cordain review first though.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #456 on: May 02, 2010, 06:30:21 pm »
Well, we have a new UK election coming up. Normally, I have certain vague ideals but am now wondering if I should select my vote solely on the basis of whether a particular party is potentially friendly to a raw, palaeolithic diet. That would rule out the Labour party as it has had a notorious vegetarian in charge of the agriculture ministry for some time and is anti-hunting(I like my raw wild hare carcasses, I'm only against hunting scarcer species) but I don't know re all the others. Well, I'll see what their farming policies are online, and then decide.

Of course, I find the choices always rather limited. I wish I could have many other options:-(eg:-vote for an old  Athenian-style oligarchy instead of modern 2- or at most 3-party  democracy or even better, vote to more or less abolish the power of central government so that I and others can personally decide what rates of taxes we really want to pay, how much to pay the local police-force  etc.)

*That reminds me, the day of the UK General Election is also the 2nd anniversary of rawpaleoforum.*
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 07:13:16 pm by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #457 on: May 09, 2010, 07:42:09 pm »
Well, the UK election was a disaster for pretty much everyone, it seems, not just me.It's clear we need the boundaries changed as currently Labour MPs require far fewer people to vote them into Parliament than as regards other parties.Plus we need proportional representation in order to get any decent voting rights at all.

Back to rawpalaeo issues:-  I've just made an order for live whelks, not sure though if I'll get them in 2 weeks time.  The guy I ordered wild hare carcasses from simply didn't turn up, which was a pity but I got 20 lovely raw scallops to make up for the lack. I consider it absolutely essential to have a sizeable proportion of my diet in the form of raw wild game or raw, wildcaught seafood. I have never trusted even the organic/100% grassfed-meat-farmers and, getting hold of raw wild game is great as I can be sure that the animal had the highest possible  level of nutrition. Besides, it's also a question of genetics. Most domesticated animals, even if on healthy diets, are the result of many millenia of inbreeding and selecting of specific genetic traits by humans, so that their meats can never be as good as wild game.
" Ron Paul.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #458 on: May 14, 2010, 07:01:27 pm »
1 thing I have noticed about water is that London(ie recycled) tap-water is awful re taste and I find myself feeling a bit down , mood-wise, after drinking it so avoid it like the plague. I find neutral ph mineral water or acidic mineral water to be alright re mood-issues but to taste rather bland so I only drink what I need of it. Alkaline mineral-water(PH 7.4 and above) tastes better and gives me a slight boost in mood - it becomes a really pleasurable experience to drink that kind of water. The best mineral-water of all is 8.2 to 8.4(I gather from other sources that PH 8.5 and above makes the water taste increasingly foul as it becomes too alkaline. Anyway, for UKers, I heavily recommend my current brand of Montgomery Spring mineral water at a PH value of 8.24. I have to walk a bit to get hold of it, but it's well worth it, and it's dirt-cheap being 1.19 pounds sterling for a 5-litre bottle.

*Another thing:- I always try to drink my mineral-water when it's cold so store it in the fridge etc. at times. This makes it as cold as the water from mountain-streams/rivers which our palaeo ancestors drank. I just think that's important.
" Ron Paul.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #459 on: May 16, 2010, 07:42:14 pm »
I just had a recent, rather unpleasant experience. I do a Q&A for raw diets on another site. 1 person recently asked me about her health-problems and mentioned what foods she was eating. I'd suggested removing the raw dairy and raw veggie-juice as they are the no1 and no2 foods, respectively, which cause RVAFers the biggest health-problems. She then did a follow-up  question which had no questions in it but which was basically a commentary stating that she actually did fine with raw dairy and raw veggie-juice, which was fair enough. I naturally assumed that , like  some other posters in the past, she hadn't realised how to leave comments(re thanking and rating the volunteer), and had mistakenly used the follow-up-question option to leave that comment. Since she had not actually asked a question in that follow-up  and had not been interested in taking my advice re raw dairy/veggie-juice and had seemed to have made a mistake, I naturally didn't see what else I could add, so I naturally clicked the "you're welcome" option (which says something like thanks for your comments or some such, used mostly for when people wrongly give comments in follow-ups, a quite common occurrence at times).

The trouble is the woman became completely paranoid and absolutely ballistic and falsely assumed that I had merely clicked the "you're welcome" option to avoid her subsequent comment appearing on the eventual Q&A to be published on allexperts.com. She then found out how to actually make a real commentary on my answer and said some paranoid rubbish about me trying to avoid her follow-up comment being published. The trouble is that the policy of the website is that readers' comments can only be wiped out if the reader in question asks for them to be removed, the volunteer has little say. I have no way of contacting the questioner and telling her what really happened as the e-mail-address is, of course, hidden, and , given her appalling behaviour,I doubt she'd see reason.
I volunteer for a few subjects on that site(not just diet) and enjoy answering questions on diverse subjects.I have, at times, come across people who've disagreed with me on a number of issues.They have all been polite(I remember 1 fervent pro-cooked-advocate using words like "respectfully" and so on) - if, at times, I didn't find the right answer or only provided half of the answer, they would often leave a polite comment which stated that I couldn't help them or went into more detail. I never had a problem with that. The big problem is those people who you want to give an honest answer to but who don't want to read what you have to say, due to their own inbuilt biases. The site recommends, in such cases, to just use the option "explain why you can't answer this question", so that you can give an honest answer  without fear of being given an unfairly low rating by someone who expected to be given an entirely  different answer. The trouble is one can't always be sure, from looking at the questions, which of those questioners are lacking in integrity.

My options are limited if I can't get that site to delete that false comment. I can , of course, just decide not to be rated in future. I think that would wipe out all previous ratings/comments and prevent people from writing anything in future(well, except in the reader feedback section of the Q&A archive, I suppose. That wouldn't be a bad thing as I at least have control over the reader feedback section re deletion etc. But it means that, just because 1 really  lousy questioner has reacted in an absolutely paranoid way, all other questioners are prevented from adding their 2 cents re my answers, whether it is in the form of correcting something I said or just adding some helpful info or commentary to add to my answer or whatever.

And, if she had been remotely competent and not paranoid, she could at least have simply left a comment stating that my advice to give up raw dairy and raw veggie-juice was incorrect as she did fine on those 2 foods.

More to the point, I have made it clear re Q&As in the past that I am not a Primal Diet-fan so I do wonder if she was just some Primal-Diet-fanatic just itching to leave a bad comment on the site.Does seem odd.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 08:08:26 pm by TylerDurden »
" Ron Paul.

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: May 16, 2010, 09:40:19 pm »
She's eating raw veggie juice, so I chock it down to poor nutrition leading to brain damage. Even as a vegetarian I never drank insulin, er, juice.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #461 on: May 18, 2010, 06:00:46 pm »
Well, they wrote back telling me that the comment in question was deleted. A minor miracle , really, as even if the questioner is in the wrong, there is a custom of almost never deleting their comments. Well, I've been getting more questions in general so I suppose it's natural for more crank-callers to turn up, as a result. I've also been getting a few really bizarre questions in the last 2 years from people asking me for advice on a  supposedly "healthy"  l) diet consisting of lucozade and other energy drinks and there are others who don't bother to read my profile properly and assume automatically that I am a volunteer for 100% raw vegan diets. I just forward them to more suitable diet-volunteers.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 07:06:19 pm by TylerDurden »
" Ron Paul.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #462 on: May 19, 2010, 04:32:19 am »
OK, next issue:- one of the commonest issues that rawpalaeodieters have to face is strenuous efforts to block their kind of dietary foods. For example, there were recent attempts to ban raw oysters in Florida, along with bans on raw dairy in France etc. These all failed, but only because a few brave people in those communities dared to fight back. In future, I expect all rawpalaeos in a relevant regional area  to sign-up/phone etc. against any and all attempts to ban any kinds of raw foods in their particular region. If you don't wish to do that, I can assure you that raw foods in general, such as raw meat/raw organs, will eventually become less available as a result of such dastardly behaviour.

*To give an example on my part:- I volunteered for an interview for a national UK newspaper re a raw-meat-based-diet-article. This got published, albeit with some significant b*llsh*t involving some lies/ludicrous exaggerations on its part, but it wasn't as bad as I had expected it to be. I also have critised my local farmers' markets(on the lfm.org.uk website) re the issue of stalls offering 100%-genuine-grassfed meats. but they didn't do anything to improve that situation. On the other hand, other rawpalaeos' demands have made other stallholders in that farmers' market be more serious re offering a wider variety of raw organ-meats, so that has helped. In short, if you want a good deal re your own, raw, palaeolithic diet, then make sure to advertise or make known your preferences etc., as it all helps you and other RPDers in the long run.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 04:40:36 am by TylerDurden »
" Ron Paul.

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: May 20, 2010, 04:55:14 am »
I am definitely not shy for sharing my preference for eating raw or super rare meat. I tell anyone who asks exactly what my diet consists of and the health and body composition benefits I receive from it. I don't give an inch to them on CW.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #464 on: May 23, 2010, 07:13:51 pm »
OK, minor confession:- I can handle 1 or 2 types of raw suet, but most sources of raw suet, however grassfed/organic, make me have frequent, liquid yellow diarrhea afterwards, convincing me that I do not digest/absorb most raw suet properly. In future, I will stick to raw tongue, raw marrow and raw, fatty muscle-meats, instead. The only raw suet I ever had no problems with was always heavily dried-out. It's the wettish suet that is the problem, I think.

*I will be mostly incommunicado from 22nd June to 1st August for a number of reasons, 1 of them being vacation. I might be able to check e-mails once a week during that period but that's about it.
" Ron Paul.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: May 24, 2010, 01:10:53 am »
So why wouldn't you eat those 1 or 2 types of raw suet that don't give you problems?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 02:38:13 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #466 on: May 24, 2010, 01:59:45 am »
So why wouldn't you eat those 1 or 2 types or raw suet that don't give you problems?
 I can easily get hold of raw fruits and raw seafood, but raw high quality meats/fats/organs are always temporary sources. Either they get moved to a different farmers' market or the parrents retire and fold the farm or choose to only sell locally etc.. I suppose I could experiment with ordering raw suet from twenty different farms in order to find the right kind of suet to order , but what's the point? I don't  much like the taste of raw suet anyway and I'd rather have things like raw tongue etc. instead.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 02:49:15 am by TylerDurden »
" Ron Paul.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: May 24, 2010, 02:39:51 am »
Ah, I see, so you lost those two sources and aren't interested in searching out a new source because you are satisfied with your current alternatives. That's understandable.

Offline Inger

• Chief
  • 38 yo Norwegian RVAF s.-06, 90% carniv.
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: May 24, 2010, 03:24:38 am »
What kind of fat is that around the heart (beef)?
Is that suet too?

I like it a lot, just tried it for first time a few days ago. Tasty.  :)

Inger

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #469 on: May 24, 2010, 03:39:01 am »
No, suet is kidney fat. Never really liked the raw white fat around the heart and just cut it off usually.
" Ron Paul.

Offline dsohei

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: June 04, 2010, 04:44:11 am »
tyler, do you now have an energy surplus?
what i mean is, before you had chronic fatigue-like symptoms, right? and now, do you have more than enough energy to go through your daily life AND do extra work/exercise if you choose to?
perhaps this answer is buried somewhere in the 47 pages of your journal...?
thanks!

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #471 on: June 04, 2010, 05:02:29 pm »
Well, I am not superman. I have a lot more energy these days and feel even more pumped when eating "high-meat" and have enough energy for exercise if I want to. I suppose I should do even more exercise, though, as it would make me feel even better.

1 thing I have noted re exercise is that on a rawpalaeo diet my strength gains come faster than on a SAD diet. Though, of course, if I don't exercise at all after a while, then the gains reverse themselves.
" Ron Paul.

Offline dsohei

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: June 05, 2010, 04:43:47 am »
thanks, good info
currently i'm eating 1 pound of ground grass fed meat a day (beef, lamb, or vitellone) and i'm wondering if i should do more. its certainly a grand experiment.

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: June 06, 2010, 09:29:51 pm »
thanks, good info
currently i'm eating 1 pound of ground grass fed meat a day (beef, lamb, or vitellone) and i'm wondering if i should do more. its certainly a grand experiment.

Just eat as much as your body tells you. That's all you need. If you start over-eating you'll be having problems
Take everyones advice with a grain of salt. Try things out for your self and then make up your mind.

Offline dsohei

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: June 07, 2010, 01:23:04 am »
Just eat as much as your body tells you. That's all you need. If you start over-eating you'll be having problems

most of the time when i attempt that i either eat too much or too little. my body doesnt seem to "know" y'know.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk