Author Topic: Cut list for a side of beef  (Read 4262 times)

Offline Rob

• Trapper
    • View Profile
Cut list for a side of beef
« on: August 29, 2010, 03:47:41 am »
I just got the e-mail from my farmer saying my steer is ready for the slaughter, and I need to provide him with my desired cut list.

Last year, I got the premium steaks and roasts cut, and the rest of it ground. No organs or suet. I had the roasts cooked for my family who won't eat it raw. I ate the steaks raw. This year I am getting the organs and suet, and hopefully fat trimmings, and wondering if anyone here has any suggestions for my cut list.

Anyone with experience buying beef this way have any good suggestions?

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Cut list for a side of beef
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 04:17:13 am »
Hmm, heart, kidneys, tongue, ribs, back fat, tender steaks, marrow bones. I would get these, simply because they taste great and are not in the store where I get my grass fed meats.

Although I never ordered like that.

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 08:05:52 am »
I'd definitely get the brisket as whole cuts. I'd also try to have the bottom round and chuck made into roast-size cuts if you're still looking to get any. This is hard as there are so many tasty cuts on the animal. -\
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 08:19:06 am »
ribs, back fat, tender steaks, marrow bones. I would get these, simply because they taste great and are not in the store

In the summertime on a young steer just reached slaughter age, would he have back fat already/yet?
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 11:27:40 am »
    In the summertime on a young steer just reached slaughter age, would he have back fat already/yet?
I don't know... I think bison has the most backfat. Maybe it doesn't apply all that much to a cow? Anyone know?

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 07:04:43 pm »
    Is each cow breed different reference fat?

Do you know if the steer Angus, Hereford, Limousin, Brahmin, Simmental, Charolais, Saler?
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk