Author Topic: attn. parents! need some advice  (Read 9427 times)

Offline shannon

• Egg Thief
  • hey, that's me!
    • View Profile
attn. parents! need some advice
« on: August 30, 2010, 09:12:51 am »
i would like some advice on how i could get my daughters ages 3 and 5 to eat more raw meats.  they already eat a near perfect diet(cooked primal).  how can i make this work for them?  sometimes we sneak raw liver into meat loaf but i'm honestly not wanting to keep them in the dark about what they eat.  any suggestions would be great, thanks ;)
Vegetables are interesting but lack a sense of purpose when unaccompanied by a good cut of meat.  ~Fran Lebowitz

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
Re: attn. parents! need some advice
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 09:34:27 am »
Get them involved in searing steaks.
Count off 20 seconds per side.
Then serve.

Next time, less seconds.  And so on.
That was fun for my kids.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 10:13:14 am »
Im only 18 so I dont have kids but have you tried just offering them some raw meat?
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline shannon

• Egg Thief
  • hey, that's me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 10:19:31 am »
i've offered it and they ate it the first time.  offered it again, no thanks they said.  guess i could start leaving it more rare inside.
Vegetables are interesting but lack a sense of purpose when unaccompanied by a good cut of meat.  ~Fran Lebowitz

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 10:29:17 am »
Your kids are lucky being on a primal diet, cooked is still great.

Notice any difference between them and others kids who are fed SAD etc
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline shannon

• Egg Thief
  • hey, that's me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 10:52:27 am »
of course i notice a difference.  my girls are calmer and have steady energy levels.  they 'glow' compared to other kids.  no dark circles under the eyes, beautiful complexion, shiny hair, i could go on and on.  i feel sad though when i go out to shop and look in other parents carts to see junk.  i then look at the kids and most of the time they don't look so well or they're bouncin' off the walls.  grr...makes me mad >:

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 11:01:29 am »
shannon and others (parent or not),

how will you handle school lunch time? and other socials e.g. birthday parties, friend sleep-overs, etc?

also wondering if your girls have received vaccinations?

just curious, i don't have children, but if i do - i wonder how much pressure/resistance i will receive from others or children themselves.

i think it's so great what you're doing!

Offline shannon

• Egg Thief
  • hey, that's me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 11:27:01 am »
we don't vaccinate and we are planning on homeschooling.  i can't stand the thought of my kids being 'locked' away all day.  we bring our own treats for play dates.  i think my kids really get why we eat the way we do.  my hub is not completely primal and the girls nag at him about it LOL!  i don't worry about them not fitting in, there are all kinds of diets kids are following anymore (vegan, scd, allergy free etc.) 

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 12:02:20 pm »
I heard on the radio that now in schools, when parents bring in cakes/biscuits for fetes etc the parents must label ingredients used, of course some parents use pre-mix so just cut the ingredients ladel off the packet and stick it to the plate!

“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2010, 05:38:13 pm »
Also give them raw oysters. Those are socially acceptable to eat raw.Eating out at sashimi restaurants might be an option if affordable.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 08:45:25 am »
we don't vaccinate and we are planning on homeschooling.  i can't stand the thought of my kids being 'locked' away all day.  we bring our own treats for play dates.  i think my kids really get why we eat the way we do.  my hub is not completely primal and the girls nag at him about it LOL!  i don't worry about them not fitting in, there are all kinds of diets kids are following anymore (vegan, scd, allergy free etc.) 
Congrats! Your children are lucky. What part of the US? Urban or rural?
Cheers
Al

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
  • country chickens and lambs and wild bugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 10:25:14 am »
hi shannon, thank you for being such a great mom for your children. i know how hard it is being myself a mom.my child transforms from extreme vegetarian and raw vegan diet to almost now zero crab paleolithic diet.  i traine him from his early age.he is raw from birth. i used to make vegan food all day long. most of the time he vomits  -v than. motherhood i take so seriously that i almost forget that i'm a human myself. anyway, those days are gone and he's more enjoying his raw paleo . i have more time and less mess. good luck. 
bugs or country chickens

Offline shannon

• Egg Thief
  • hey, that's me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 09:39:29 pm »
thanks raw!!!  nutrition and wellness (mental, emotional, physical, spiritual) is obviously very important to us and we do what we can with what we know;-)  i really wish that more parents would take a look at what they put into the mouths of their children!!! 

Offline shannon

• Egg Thief
  • hey, that's me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2010, 09:44:45 pm »
Congrats! Your children are lucky. What part of the US? Urban or rural?

we live in n.e. ohio, urban area. 

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2010, 11:37:06 pm »
we live in n.e. ohio, urban area. 

Urban can make it tougher as the influences are more pervasive. One guy I worked with managed to keep his daughter free from soft drinks, candy and junk food in general. That was  a feat in itself.
Cheers
Al

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2010, 09:06:48 pm »
I have 3 going on four kids and my oldest wont eat raw meats, he is about 4 but my 2 year old was given raw egg in her milk since 6 months and now she loves meat, marrow, oysters, she drinks eggs from our chickens AV style, my 8 month old loves pea size bites of meat and fat, so I believe that its easier to start them off raw then to try to transition. My oldest will eat sushi and seared stake , and more Weston price styled diet. They are all healthy and are thriving so I am encouraging others to consider the raw diet for their children. Raw fat is the best stuff in the world for a growing child and its a shame that kids don't get the nutrition necessary to develop into their primal potential.

Raw egg mixed into raw milk is a good start,
raw marrow can be melted and mixed into about anything and is very nutritious
Lightly steamed seafood
Some primal shakes

We also do not vaccinate and are planning to homeschool
hopefully everything will work out and our children will have the health and intelligence of the Olympians.
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline Michael

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2010, 05:31:48 am »
Great thread Shannon!  I can't believe I missed this one?!  Perhaps we could start a thread (or use this one?) as a place for RAF/RPD/Primal parents to unite and share ideas, experiences etc?

You're doing a wonderful job with your children and I greatly admire you for it.

I have a 16 month old son who I'm trying to raise in a similar manner.  I've been eating RAF (now VLC RPD) for 10 years myself.  My partner of 5 years has transitioned now to a largely cooked Weston Price diet with as much RAF as I can encourage her to eat (raw butter, cream, milk, jerky, liver drinks etc) but is certainly not a raw paleo eater.

I've found that it's been important to compromise the diet of my son in line with i) the wants of his mother and, ii) the wants of my son!  My experience has shown that it's not quite as simple as one may be led to believe by theory and dogma.

Like you, I've had difficulty getting my son to eat raw meats.  I've been growing concerned that perhaps he's, on some spiritual level, a pescatarian!  :)  For the first 12 months or so he was solely breast fed whilst paying close attention to my partner's diet.  Since then, he's been offered raw meats/organs, raw egg yolks, raw butter, raw goat yoghurt, cooked fish/seafood, scrambled eggs, homemade bone broth, organic berries, natural spring water and raw coconut water.  That's it.  Currently, he's still largely breast-fed but usually has 1 or 2 meals per day consisting of scrambled egg with lots of raw butter and cooked fish/seafood in bone broth.

Like you, I've often tried slipping small amounts of raw finely chopped meats into his fish broth or eggs but it's always been difficult and, likewise, I don't think deception is the way to go!  However, and perhaps to offer a little encouragement to you, I can declare that the last couple of days has seen him eat raw finely chopped beef/lamb as a meal alone!  This has usually been dehydrated for 1/2 hour or so and, sometimes, added to cooled broth.

Perhaps patience is key and your children will, simply, eat it when ready?

Of course, it's important not to force raw meats on them at all but it may encourage them to develop a taste for it by offering them a little to 'play with'.  For many months, I've been giving my son thin slices of raw beef or lamb which he happily holds and wanders around sucking/chewing - eventually handing me back the soggy mess when he's had enough.  Although he would never actually eat it this way, it was a worry initially that he may choke on it but such fears proved ungrounded as we never had an incident despite him often wandering around with whole big pieces shoved in his mouth!

How is is going with your children now?  Any progress?

1. When offered something that is too good to be true. It is.
2. Greed and fear are poor states of mind in which to make decisions; like shopping at the supermarket when you are hungry.
3. Exponential growth is mathematically unsustainable.

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
  • country chickens and lambs and wild bugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2010, 12:47:06 pm »
actually, i started giving my child raw meat when he passed 2.5 years. before that he was strictly raw vegetarian. but from the beginning of raw meats, he throws up  -v couple of times and now he's three and half and asks for raw meat. i never give him any choice but raw  meat. he never ate cook food in his life.

also our social life is very limited. so, my child only expose the social life for some hour in the playground with playing another kid or grandma's home where we always watch. we always hide from him the cooked meal. so he only see people eating raw food nothing else. i mean under strict supervision we keep him.  >:
bugs or country chickens

Offline Michael

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2010, 05:59:24 pm »
That does sound like very strict supervision raw!  :)

I appreciate only too well the dangers that social interaction with other children could bring.  Indeed, this is a constant cause of concern with my son and subject of heated discussion with my partner and family.  Current pre-school groups he attends with myself or his mother and social get togethers with friend's children can be difficult.  He sees other children eating/drinking all kinds of junk.  But, so far, it's not presented a problem.  I think education is key.  When he's old enough, it will be explained to him precisely why he eats differently and I think the validation will be all too obvious for him to see in the children all around him.

I do think it's very important for development, however, that social interaction is not completely prohibited.  An approach of openness and the gift of knowledge & understanding should be sufficient to allow an otherwise normal life in our crazy world.
1. When offered something that is too good to be true. It is.
2. Greed and fear are poor states of mind in which to make decisions; like shopping at the supermarket when you are hungry.
3. Exponential growth is mathematically unsustainable.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk